Sunday 28 July 2013

INTRODUCTION

My first venture into and attempt at writing was when I compiled the Siddhas hymns that I had been singing during prayers into a book of praise to Siddhas, SIDDHARGAL POTRI THOGUPPU. The hymns were from various sources: Thavathiru Rangaraja Desiga Swamigal [1] (of the Sri Agathiyar Sanmaarga Sangam, Ongarakudil, Turaiyur, Tamilnadu, India); Tavayogi Thangarasan Adigalaar [2] (of the Sri Agathiyar Sri Thava Murugar Gnana Peedham Thirukovil in Kallar, Kovai, Tamilnadu, India); and other publications.

As I came across more hymns I included them too and the volume later expanded to become AGATHIYAR PUSAI or THE COMPLETE BOOK OF PRAISE TO AGATHIYAR now available at http://www.scribd.com/doc/93769534/Agathiyar-Pusai-The-Complete-Book-of-Praise-to-Agathiyar-Tamil-Transliteration-in-English or at http://www.slideshare.net/shanmugamavadaiyappa/Agathiyar-pusai-march-2013.

I had compiled the forty-six Nadi [3] readings (also known as Olai Suvadi) (until 15 February 2013). I had also kept a journal of my travels in India. I kept a spiritual diary too to monitor my progress. I had documented the life and times of my Gurus. Initially, these notes and jottings were for my personal reference only. When I came to know about Ramalinga Adigal [4], Agathiyar [5] and the Siddhas [6]; and came to meet Thavathiru Rangaraja Desiga Swamigal, Supramania Swami of Tiruvannamalai, and Tavayogi Thangarasan Adigal I wanted to give back something in return. Hence these notes and jottings saw the light of the day through the numerous websites and blogs that I created:

http://www.indianheartbeat.fws1.com,
http://www.indianheartbeat.20m.com,
http://www.tavayogi.webs.com,
http://www.wix.com/tavayogi/agathiyan

When I received positive reviews from readers, through their e-mails, phone calls and when I met them, I realized that what started as a means of my gratification to my Gurus and the Siddhas, had in fact helped and benefited others too. The idea to compile these writings into a book took shape then. These books were available online at http://www.scribd.com/indianheartbeat :

  • SIDDHARGAL POTRI THOGUPPU (Tamil),
  • AGATHIYAR POTRI PAADAL THOGUPPU (Tamil),
  • AGATHIYA MAHA RISHI (Tamil),
  • SAINT JEGANATHAR, CHITRAMUTHU ADIGAL & TAVAYOGI (Tamil),
  • SIDDHA MARGAM - The Path of the Sidhas (English),
  • IN SEARCH OF THE SIDDHAS (English),
  • COMING TO THE PATH (English),
  • IN THE PATH OF THE SIDDHAS (English),
  • END OF THE PATH (English),
  • SIDDHA POTRI - A Transliteration in English,
  • ARUTPERUNJHOTI AGAVAL - A Transliteration in English,
  • TEACHINGS OF THE SIDDHAS PART ONE - SIDDHA MARGAM - THE PATH OF THE SIDDHAS (English),
  • TEACHINGS OF THE SIDDHAS PART 2 - KARMA (English),
  • TEACHINGS OF THE SIDDHAS PART 3 - CONDUCT (English),
  • TEACHINGS OF THE SIDDHAS PART 4 - THE BREATH (English),
  • MILESTONES ON THE PATH OF THE SIDDHAS (English),
  • THE SIDDHAS (English),
  • SIDDHAS IN MALAYSIA (English),
  • SEEKING THE SIDDHAS - AGATHIYAR & THE SIDDHAS (English),
  • SEEKING THE SIDDHAS - RAMALINGA ADIGAL (English),
  • BEING GRATEFUL - MIRACLES ON THE PATH OF THE SIDDHAS (English),
  • THE NADI - KAANDA NADI & JEEVA NADI (English),
  • AGATHIYAR’S JAYANTHI & GURU PUJA (English),
  • YOGI RAMSURATKUMAR (English)
I have since removed some websites, revamped existing ones and created new sites. Check out the following:


I have combined and revised the above books into a single edition THE FIRE OF DEVOTION. This book was a very small attempt at displaying the workings of the Siddhas. It carries eighteen chapters spanning ten years and incorporates the minuscule journey of mine on the expansive and ever evasive spiritual world. As Ramalinga Adigal reveals as he came to the end of his mortal life that his achievement or feat of deathless came when he was at the fifteenth stage of spiritual experiences and that there was much more beyond that, that there were still higher stages that Ramalinga Adigal hesitates to express, I realize that I have a very long way to go! 

As I pen this book, I recalled all the blessings that I had received towards the making of this book. When I went for an astrological reading in 1996, Dr. Krishnan mentioned that I would write books. When I was accompanying Tavayogi Thangarasan Adigal on his talks at various venues in Malaysia in 2007, he turned to me and told me that I should talk about Agathiyar (to promote and propagate Agathiyar and the Siddhas teachings). I replied that I am no authority to speak on the Siddhas. Similarly, when I went for the Nadi reading later, Agathiyar mentions that I shall write books too. I did not have the faintest notion then to write but it has become a reality now thanks to the blessings of my Gurus and the Siddhas. I shall post some pages from this book on this blog.



[3] Nadi Astrology is a form of Hindu astrology practiced in Tamil Nadu, India. It is based on the belief that the past, present and the future lives of all humans were foreseen by Hindu Siddhas in ancient time. The texts are mainly written in Vatteluttu, which is an ancient Tamil script. There are different schools of thought as to the author of these leaves. They were written by a Tamil Siddha called Agathiyar who is said to have had divine revelations. This doctrine of astrology was made famous by astrologers around the Vaitheeswaran Temple in the state of Tamil Nadu. Based on the thumb impression, Nadi leaves are found. (Source: Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

[4] Arutprakasa Vallalar Chidambaram Ramalingam (5 October 1823 – 30 January 1874), whose pre-monastic name was Ramalingam, is commonly known in India and across the world as Vallalar. He was one of the most famous Tamil Saints and also one of the greatest Tamil poets of the 19th century and belongs to a line of Tamil saints known as "Gnana Siddhars" (Gnana means higher wisdom). The Samarasa Suddha Sanmarga Sathiya Sangam was spread and passed on by him not only in theory but mainly in practice by his own way of living which was itself inspiration for his followers. Through the notion of Suddha Sanmarga Sangam, the saint endeavored to eliminate the menace of caste. According to Suddha Sanmarga, the prime aspects of human life should be love connected with charity and divine practice leading to achievement of pure knowledge. (Source: Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

[5] Agastya (Also known as Father of Tamil Literature and siddha), is one of the Saptarishis (meaning "seven Siddhas") who are extolled at many places in the Vedas and a revered Vedic Siddha who is also the author of Agastya Samhita [ref: Dharma Bharathi]. Agastya is a name of Shiva too. The word is sometimes written as Agasti and Agathiyar. A-ga means a mountain, and Asti means thrower. Agastya the Muni, son of Urvashi was born of both Gods, Mitra and Varuna. Agastya is also the Indian astronomical name of the star of Canopus, is said to be the 'cleanser of waters', since its rising coincides with the calming of the waters of the Indian Ocean. He is considered as the father of Tamil literature and compiled the first Tamil grammar called Agathiyam. In Tamil language the term 'Agam' means inside and 'iyar' means belong. One who belong inside (soul) is the Tamil meaning for Agathiyar. (Source: Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) 

[6] Siddhar were spiritual adepts who possessed the Ashta Siddhis, or the eight supernatural powers. Siddha Agathiyar is considered the Guru of all Siddhars, and the Siddha medicine system is believed to have been handed over to him by Lord Muruga, son of the Hindu God Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvathi. Siddhars are the followers of Lord Shiva. Agathiyar is the first Siddhar. His disciples and other Siddhars contributed thousands of texts on Siddhar literature, including medicine and form the founder of the system in this world. (Source: Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)