Friday 3 April 2015

GIVING BACK

Courtesy of https://plus.google.com/u/0/+ramdass/posts
A beautiful quote. This is exactly what Agathiyar mentioned to me in my Nadi reading when I was wondering if I should continue performing rituals in my home as instructed. Agathiyar had ask that I perform libation or Abhisegam on the newly delivered bronze statue of his. Tavayogi Thangarasan Adigal asked that I perform the Homam or lighting of the sacrificial fire too. I did as instructed. But I did not want to end up becoming a priest. As it was I had already being a priest in my former life and a bad one too, neglecting his job and responsibility, and having harmed those next of kin and devotees too. Hence I had to take this birth, I was told by Agathiyar in the Kaanda Nadi based on my thumb print. I wanted to advance spiritually, come out of Bakthi and devotion and move on to Gnanam, as encouraged by Tavayogi. But to my surprise, Tavayogi himself advocates that I perform a Homam. He himself had started performing the Yagam, a sacrificial fire on a larger scale at his Ashram some years back.

Agathiyar hearing me question the purpose of doing rituals reveals in the Aasi Nadi later that I was doing it for the good of mankind and well being of Nature. Agathiyar also mentioned that karma can be removed by performing homam or yagam and prayers. Tavayogi who was conducting an annual celebration to mark the commencement and establishment of his Ashram, chose to commemorate and celebrate the Jayanthi of Agathiyar later with festivities and gala. He then began to include the lighting of the sacrificial fire or the Maha Prapancha Yagam together with this celebration. He told me the reason he was conducting the Yagam was to help pacify Nature that was creating chaos and havoc, affecting the livelihood and safety of the general public. This ritual which today has expanded to become the Sarva Dosa Nivaarana Maha Yagam, has a far fetched purpose too that includes, besides seeking protection from calamities and natural disasters, additional prayers and rituals for healing diseases and illnesses, removing curses or sabam and dosam of devotees and healing of the soul. Only after I was told about the magnificence of performing a Yagam, could I accept this responsibility. I began to give my heart and soul towards this venture. My family and friends joined in later.  

Tavayogi who advocated the path of Gnanam too was surprisingly led to build a Peedham and install a granite structure known as Aaru Aadhara Peedham on Agathiyar's instruction. Later devotees volunteered to have a couple of fiber statues of Agathiyar and Thava Murugan made, delivered and installed. Lately Agathiyar himself had a sadhu deliver a majestic rudraksham to be worshipped as a Shivalingam. When I was wondering why his Gnana Peedham was being transformed into a temple, Tavayogi tells me that it was for the public. Today Agathiyar has given his blessing to move to a new location some 2 kilometers away from the present Ashram. Agathiyar mentioned in the Jeeva Nadi reading at Kallar some days back that he was present at the new site. On investigating, Mataji discovers a granite statue of Nadhi and a Shivalingam under a very old Arasa maram or sacred fig tree (Ficus religiosa).

The Nandhi & Shivalingam that was mentioned by Agathiyar in the Jeeva Nadi at the site of the new Ashram. Photo courtesy of Shivaram
Tavayogi a clothes merchant decided to give back to society when he turned 50 years of age. Leaving his family to run the business, he went on a journey of self discovery, traveling and seeing most of India. At 60 Agathiyar instructs him to settle at Agathiyar Vanam in Kallar to serve society. The auspiciousness of Kallar was already mentioned in Agathiyar 12,000 even before Tavayogi came to settle at this place. The hymn when translated: The Kallar hills is Agathiyar's hill. It is also Supramaniar's hill. It is a place where Siddhas roam its jungles.

The hymn from Agathiyar 12,000
Today Agathiyar reveals why he chose Kallar in a Jeeva Nadi reading by Sri Ganeshan of Tanjavur. Agathiyar explains the auspiciousness of hills. The hills are generally known for the extensive range of herbs and medicinal plants. A plant on the lowlands would possess 100 times its potential in the highlands. Agathiyar also explains the reason for erecting temples and places of worship in the hills was solely to cater for the health and well being of devotees. Climbing the hills once a day itself is an Abhyasam or good practise. A hike will benefit man's 22,000 nerves. This is the physical benefit one gains in climbing hills. Speaking about the subtle aspect of this practise, Agathiyar says certain forms of karma is reduced with continuous worship and meditation at these places of worship. The level of the hardship one goes through in scaling these hills and mountains, is proportionate to the extent and reduction of one's karma. Agathiyar specifically mentions the Kallar hills as a place where one's past sins and wrongdoings, the forefathers wrongdoings, and sabam or curse is reduced speedily.

The revelation about Kallar hills in the Jeeva Nadi released by Siddhar Arut Kudil, Tanjavur
Through the above revelation I came to understand the events that took place when I began to climb Palani hill on my maiden pilgrimage to India in 2003. After alighting from the Ambassador I worshipped at Thiruavinankudi at the base of the hill. I then picked up prayer items at one of the numerous stalls at the foothill of Palani Temple before beginning my climb. As I took the first step, I could not move my lower limbs. They were so heavy. I used all my energy to move them, but they would not budge. I had to use both my hands to assist my legs climb the steps of Palani. I was sweating profusely. My throat was parched and dry. My chest was heaving. Yet I forced myself up the hill. As I approached the top of the hill I was on the verge of fainting. I looked around for a spot to lie down. I headed for the row of shops and dropped my frame on the ground, leaning to the wall of one of the stalls. All around me was white light with silhouettes of people moving around and speaking loudly. I lay there for some time before this phenomena cleared. 

After a while I thought I could walk. I stood up and made my way to Lord Murugan's sannadhi. I stood in line with the other devotees to have a view of the Lord. A priest approached me and practically snatched the bag of prayer items I was carrying along. He did ask if it was for archanai. I nodded. I stood peering into emptiness. A few minutes later he came back to pass me the offerings I had made, together with sandal paste that adorned the Lord. I did not know the significance of this sandal paste until I read an episode from the Jeeva Nadi Guru of Chennai's revelation of Agathiyar's Nadi.

Until today I cannot recall having seen Lord Murugan at Palani. As I move on along the corridor, turning a corner I came across an open door. There was a priest standing near the door and another at a desk or kalla petti and yet another young man standing with folded arms. I ask the priest closest to me if it was Bhogar's samadhi and he nodded his head. He lighted up the camphor and showed the flame or arathi. As I moved across the room to the exit, another door, I thought I should sit for a while. As I passed the young priest with folded hands, he reached out for a tumbler placed on a cabinet. He told me it was libation milk or abhisega paal and handed it to me. I drank it and handed over the vessel to him. I took my place near the exit door. After a few moments as I opened my eyes, the priest who was now standing in front of me, handed me some sacred ash or vibhuti prasad and flowers. I pick myself up and left the room thanking him with a nod of my head. Surprisingly the line of devotees who were in front and behind me until then, were nowhere to be seen. I was with the Lord all alone, besides the 3 priests.

As I walked out of the corridor into the open I was 'floating in the air', walking effortlessly, as if riding on a float, magic carpet or ther. It was so blissful. I came round and round the temple not able to end my blissful walk. Eventually I decided to return to the car and started my descent. I was figuring out what had taken place at Palani that day. After 2 years Agathiyar explains in the Aasi Nadi. From the above revelation of the Jeeva Nadi too I understood further why I had so much difficulty walking the steps of Palani that day.