Sunday 22 December 2019

CONTINUING THE TRADITION

When I mentioned to my guru Supramania Swami of Tiruvannamalai that I had vested interest in coming forward to help him realize his 40-year-old desire to build a temple, narrating the episode between Agathiyar and Supramaniar (Lord Muruga) that I came to read from a text by Ongkarakudil Aasan Thavathiru Rengaraja Desigar, I was taken aback by the willingness of Supramania Swami to gift me with all his 40 years of austerities or tapas or tavam.

It was in 2003 that I was strangely brought to him on the pretext of charting and reading my daughter's horoscope. As I picked up my luggage at my door to board the taxi that I had called for to leave for the airport, my wife suddenly asked me if I could have our daughter's horoscope drawn up in India as there were many learned pandits in astrology there. I told her that "We shall see" and left. As my pilgrimage to the numerous temples to carry out remedies as stipulated by Agathiyar in the Nadi had come to an end earlier than planned, remembering my wife's request, I asked Deva of Chennai who was chauffeuring me around if we could see an astrologer once we reached Chennai the next day before I boarded the flight back to Malaysia. Deva replied that his uncle was an astrologer in the same town, Tiruvannamalai, living some 8 kilometers away in his village called Nachaananthal. I was delighted to hear this and asked if he could bring me over to see his uncle. Deva was only too glad to do so. As the white ambassador, we drove in came alongside the entrance to the walled compound of a home, a shirtless old man in vesti walked up to us. Deva greeted him. I knew that was his uncle. Deva introduced me to him as a tourist from Malaysia and mentioned my purpose in coming there. Strangely his uncle did not respond to my greeting but turned around and headed back into his home. We followed suit. He led us to his altar and lighted the camphor flame and prayed. He asked his son Ramajayam to bring out all the past almanacs and asked him to spread out the deerskin at a designated spot outside his home. As I took my place opposite him, Supramania Swami to my surprise began to chart my destiny instead. I sat spellbound for five hours as he revealed secrets including those from the Nadi reading I had with Agathiyar that only I knew. I was in tears and speechless as he kept his eyes closed and spoke occasionally opening them. He did not ask my birth details not questioned me. He did not do any calculation; neither did he refer to the almanac that was stacked beside him. He did not ask to see my palms either. Now, who was this strange old man who knew everything about me, my past, present, and future? As I left his cottage for my hotel room, he stood with his family bidding me farewell in the twilight. I could not help but ask myself if he was the guru mentioned by Agathiyar in the Nadi, whom I would meet.

I sat quietly as Deva drove me back, recalling the five hours of bliss and ecstasy in his presence. He was indeed to become my guru - my very first.

Visiting him again in 2005, I re-told him the story of Agathiyar and Supramaniar as told by Thavathiru Rengaraja Desigar in his book, "Pothrinal Unathu Vinai Agalumapa", explaining the process through which Agathiyar attained the highest state that of becoming one with Erai. This state was made possible to Agathiyar by his Guru Supramaniar (Lord Muruga).

All the knowledge to attain the state was made available to Agathiyar by Supramaniar because Agathiyar had provided the space, shelter and all comforts for Supramaniar to carry on with his penances (tapas) and austerities (tavam) in a past birth. Agathiyar was 60 years of age then when Supramaniar attained the body of Light through his tapas, thanks to Agathiyar looking after all of his (Supramaniar) needs. Supramaniar promised Agathiyar that they shall meet in a subsequent birth and that he shall return the favor.

In a subsequent birth Agathiyar traveled in vain in search of his ideal guru. He eventually met Supramaniar at Kodaikanal, where Supramaniar made him recall the past and as promised in return for all his services in the past birth, blessed Agathiyar and taught him secrets of attaining the state of Erai.

Agathiyar began with performing puja to Supramaniar. By way of devotion to Supramaniar he realized that he had had the greatest gift that was the human birth, which comes by very rarely. Through Supramaniar he came to know himself and the divinity that resided in the physical body. He understood the very Nature that brought him forth and resided within him. With Supramaniar's guidance and blessings, Agathiyar relished the ambrosia or nectar that came about through his tapas. This removed the seven veils to reveal the Jhothi in him, hence attaining the body of Light. With this came Bliss, Siddhis, and the state of Deathless-ness. Agathiyar attained the five tanmai of Erai namely Creation, Sustenance, Destruction, Veiling and Showering Grace.

Supramaniar granted Agathiyar the title Gurumuni and Kumbamuni and sent him off to spread the Siddha way extensively all over the globe, bringing many into his fold. All the Siddhas looked towards Agathiyar as their Guru.

In the following video we are told that Agathiyar and the other Sapta Rishis each received 16 teachings from the Adhiyogi, after extreme tapas. Upon completion of the tapas, they were each asked to spread the teachings. As they prepared to take leave Adhiyogi asked them for an honorarium or Guru Dakshina, for passing on the knowledge to the Sapta Rishis. Agathiyar who had nothing except the very clothing he had on him, placed all the newly gained knowledge at the feet of his preceptor as Dakshina. The other six followed his action and did the same. As they prepared to leave, leaving behind all that they had learned, as the Dakshina asked for, willing to return empty handed, the Adhiyogi blessed each one of them with all the 112 sacred teachings.



Tavayogi Thangarasan Adigal of Kallar Ashram too has given me more than I had expected. He lives in our hearts. I cherish the moments together. I cherish the journey he took me on, visiting the jungles, caves, and abodes of the Siddhas. I cherish the brief statements he made as we encountered numerous episodes giving me a hint of what was going on, from the perspective of the Siddhas.

Today his work is carried on by his faithful servant, student, disciple and a great lady, in his absence. He left her the ashram and the Jeeva Nadi which she now reads. Mataji Sarojini Ammaiyaar is currently in Malaysia. We were blessed to meet up with her recently. We have invited her over to AVM on 24 December 2019.




Mataji continues the tradition left behind by our guru and preceptor Tavayogi. She will hold the annual Jayanthi festival and celebrations for Agathiyar at the Kallar Ashram grounds on 12 January 2020.

We at AVM will hold it on 8 February 2020 as directed by Agathiyar the previous year.