Sunday 19 July 2020

NANDRI AGATHEESA & MAHIN

Who is a Siddha? Tradition will list out a long list of names of ordinary people who did extraordinary things, called Siddhis. Hence they are called Siddhas. Does the list end there? Are those who come after them not eligible to join their ranks? Has the door to the kingdom of Siddhas closed? 

No. Agathiyar has asked each of us to try to attain the status of a Siddha. Who then is a Siddha? When you come to know yourself, the world around you, and another, you are then a Siddha.

The Siddha knows his Self. He knows from whence he came and where he is headed. 

The Siddha knows the origin and end of the world and all the laws that govern it. 

The Siddha knows everyone else too. Hence the reason they can spell out the past present and future of each individual.

This is not mere knowledge but they live it out, meaning they are practicing Siddhas, experiencing it moment to moment. So when they call us to their path, they want us not only to carry this knowledge with us but to put into practice daily what was taught and learned. The beautiful thing about coming to the path of the Siddhas is that they keep you informed of your spiritual progress. Yes, they monitor and update us on our progress at intervals, giving us a report card and the marks. This could be by means of the Nadi or the guru or through another. 

We have heard, read, and watched movies about how Erai came to his devotees who later turned into saints. We sat in awe listening, reading, and watching these episodes. This blog carries numerous stories and episodes of the miracles shown by the Siddhas both to me and others and those read and heard.

I was one to see miracles in every single happening and in everything. Once as I stepped into the Subramania temple inside the limestone hill at Batu caves, a young priest, out of the blue, walked up to me and told me to take honey and left to do his chores. I guess I needed energy then during that period and the Lord came mysteriously to pass me this message. How can I thank him?

Now as Dr. Krishnan has passed away, Agathiyar brings me to meet Siddha practitioner Ariva Aiya where I continue to receive supplies of essential and timely herbs needed to substantiate and sustain my practice. How can I thank him?

As it was beginning to become difficult to gain access to the Nadi, Agathiyar comes through others to inform and instruct us. Just as he brought other Siddhas to share their messages in the Nadi, he brings along other saints too to say a few words. How amazing. How can I thank him enough? 

Just as we recite the numerous Kavasams or songs of praise to deities that serve to protect us from evil, harm, and danger, he gives us all-round protection 24/7. He alerts us on the dangers of proceeding in matters of the world. How can I thank him?

When we begin to see these small miracles in life we cherish and are grateful to life, nature, others, and Erai. These miracles are like bright flowers in an otherwise green field or meadow. Erai too shows its presence through these miracles. 

We are not special in any way. We know we do not deserve this kindness and compassion. We know what we have done and how we conduct ourselves and live this life. But yet he came and has stayed with us all this while, not abandoning us when we default, stray away, or plunge into acts of horror. What is this that holds us to him? What is this bond between us? He is Father, Mother, Guru, and God to us. He is a child, a devotee, a friend, a servant, and a companion too. How can I thank him?

The Siddhas get us to drop each and every black spot that we carry on an otherwise clean and white sheet of paper. The last to go is fear. Many have been known to stay and meditate at graveyards to learn to let go of the fear of death. But Mahin messaged me a phrase that is much like a koan too. This struck me like the one that Pattinathar received as a note from his son who apparently disappeared from his life leaving the profound message that not even a broken needle would come along with us in our final days, breaking his father's hold on wealth and riches. Reading the note Pattinathar dropped his family and all his possessions and took on to become a turavi or mendicant.

Mahin's message was: "Nothing is mine for me to be afraid of that I’ll lose it... I should push myself above the boundaries to see what I am capable of. Effort only will help me to bring myself to the destination."

What captivated me was "Nothing is mine to be afraid I will lose it." How true. It's only when we claim ownership to the body and things that we tend to hold on to it. Drop all possessions including life, and you shall drop all fear too. Thank you Mahin for a wonderful realization.