Thursday 9 May 2024

WAITING FOR THE DUST TO SETTLE

In the movie "My Hindu Friend" director Hector Babenco introduces a character whom I would associate with Yaman who comes to take away lives. He comes as a stranger before Diego Fairman who is diagnosed with cancer and hospitalized. The conversation between them is interesting.

Diego Fairman: Who are you?

I came to take you.

Diego Fairman: Take me where? What if I told you I didn't want to go?

That's what they all say. What am I supposed to do?

Diego Fairman: What I would like to know is why me?

There is no logic. Maybe someone denounced you. I just obey orders.

Diego Fairman: I would like to speak to your supervisor.

Sounds like you want to complicate things. But I should tell you, if you don't come with me now, old age is pretty ridiculous and undignified.

Diego Fairman: Who do you work for?

A multinational enterprise. We are market leaders. 

Diego Fairman: Market? What market is that?

Market. The market is the market.

Diego Fairman: And who invented that market?

The market was created by the market itself. Back to the caveman days, when man exchanged something with another man, they created the market. And profit drives the market. You cannot argue with that because profit is sacred. Gods behind everything. I don't get extra money for philosophy classes. Shall we (leave)?

I always wanted to know where and when it all began for me. What was the first wrong move that I made that started the cycle of death and birth or birth first and death later? I guess I created my own problems and it blew out of proportion as we all began integrating and socializing taking on more baggage that is still being circulated around and has never settled down.