Friday 10 May 2019

ON TAKING A GURU

There is a trend going on now. Everyone wants to be associated with a reputable club, a society, an association, a mission, a guru, a teaching, a path, etc. The need for a guru seems to be more pressing now than at any other time in the past. Even if one hasn't given a thought about it, he is bombarded with the numerous adverts and media depicting the gurus as lifesavers and saviours of mankind. Hence the common man too knocks on these doors, hoping to gain some relief from the storm that has left his life in ruins. 

Touching on the need for gurus, both Suren and I were taken aback when we realized that the saints of the past did not have gurus, or mention that they had gurus in the physical form. The 63 Nayanmars did not have personal gurus. Who did they worship then? They went for the source.

Neither were they affiliated to any religious groups, society or association. They never started nor headed ashrams or spiritual bodies. They never started nor had a following like in modern times. Ramalinga Adigal although briefly mentioned about a guru, never exposed him. Ramalinga pointed us to the source too. Instead of taking his hand on the journey to discovery, we have settled for him. Today we have begun to worship him instead. 

Tavayogi although he spoke, narrating the lives of his Paramaguru Swami Jeganatha and his immediate guru Chitramuthu Adigal, never worshipped them, but only Agathiyar. That is exactly what he told us to do too, in a stern way, worship the source and not Tavayogi.

Supramania Swami who mentioned the five gurus he had, never worshipped them but instead was engaged in the thought of Lord Shiva 24/7.  

I had never gone to see a guru or master prior to my meeting Supramania Swami and Tavayogi. If I happened to be at the temples at the same time a guru or master was visiting, I would stand in line with other devotees to get his blessing and move away. No physical attachment to any particular guru or master and his path. I had only paintings of deities at my altar too. As I began reading about great gurus and masters I began collecting their paintings or photos and displayed them on the walls of my prayer room. 

When the calling came to have my Nadi read, Agathiyar told me to worship him and the Siddhas, besides continuing the worship of the numerous deities in the Hindu pantheon of Gods and Goddesses. He told me I would meet my guru soon. Prior to this reading, my nephew brought me a painting of Lord Dhakshanamurthy and relayed to me a mysterious message that a year forth I shall meet my guru, too. True to these predictions I met Supramania Swami of Tiruvannamalai during my tour of India in 2003 and Tavayogi of Kallar Ashram when he toured Malaysia in 2005.

Since then I stopped both my search for a path and seeking another guru in the physical form. I took Agathiyar as my guru. Although he pointed me to several other living gurus, I refused to meet them. Neither did I make the move to meet them. I was happy with Agathiyar's path and was happy to serve him. This stern decision of mine saved me a whole lot of trouble.    

Many gurus, masters, and devotees came along the way, as I was slowly crawling on the path, at my own pace. They came with panacea and magic formulas, mantras, yantras, techniques, ways and means to hasten the journey, willing to reveal them, willing to give initiations or teecha. I refused to receive them. This stern decision of mine saved me a whole lot of trouble.    

I am grateful for Erai in alerting me of impending dangers. I am happy that the divine showed me a way of seeing through the ulterior motives and their cunning ways of gaining submission from others. I stayed aloft while many around me fell for it, even after I had forewarned them in very subtle ways of the impending dangers. I am indebted to the divine for sparing me the sour and bad experiences that many had to go through. I had the good sense to learn of the impending dangers and keep my distance from people who purportedly want to help us but ended up destroying others lives. I watched and learned the lessons from afar. I am truly grateful to Agathiyar for standing by me, in these trying times, giving me the ability to use the Wisdom or Arivu wisely, without falling for our own likes, desires, and weaknesses that are observed and seen and used by others to manipulate and gain control of our senses and lives. 

Here is where all the saints implored only to the Gods to save them from known and unknown dangers and the cunning and manipulative ways of man. On this path towards Erai it is important that we are focused on attaining him, aware of the dangers that lurk in the dark and take his hand.

Ramalinga Adigal was aware of the dangers which he equates to devils in disguise, that lurked around in numerous forms, waiting to bring us down at the moments when we lose our guard.

யான் என்கின்ற ஆணவப் பேயும் 
எனதென்கின்ற இராட்சதப் பேயும் 
மாயையென்கின்ற வஞ்சகப் பேயும் 
பெண்ணாசையென்கின்ற பெரும் பேயும் 
மண்ணாசையென்கின்ற மானிடப் பேயும் 
பொன்நசையென்கின்ற பொல்லாப் பேயும் 
குரோதம்மென்கின்ற கொள்ளிவாய்ப் பேயும் 
உலோபமென்கின்ற உதவாப் பேயும் 
மோகமென்கின்ற மூடப் பேயும் 
மதமென்கின்ற வலக்காரப் பேயும் 
மாச்சரியமென்கின்ற மலட்டுப் பேயும் 
மனப் பேயோடு கூடி 
இரவும் பகலும் ஆட்ட ஆடி ஆடி யிளைக்கின்ற அடியேனைக் 
காத்தருளத் திருவுள்ள மிரங்கித் தரிசனமருளி 
துன்பத்தை நீக்கி இன்பத்தை யளித்தருள் 
எம் பெருமான் என்னாண்டவனே என் தந்தையே என் தாயே என் குருவே என் தெய்வமே என் குல தெய்வமே என் உயிர்த்துணையே என் அறிவுக்கறிவாகிய இறைவனே.

When we begin to refuse all the gifts that are showered on us, we can escape the huge responsibilities and its associated problems. Having certain powers in us and standing in society, builds the ego in us as people come seeking us for advice and solutions. Soon a following revolves around us. People come, they stay and they elevate us to a state only to drop us and thrash us the very moment they are at crossroads with us.

Having the gift of prediction brings its own set of problems through people who do not have any inkling of how these predictions work and shoot it down the moment things do not move in their favour.

A gift of being a guru or the gift of an ashram brings an organized attack from disenchanted followers.

Refusing all these treasures and gifts of love from Erai, he can only give himself in the end.

KR Sivakanthan says it beautifully,

ஞானம் வேண்டேன் 
நல்வேதம் வேண்டேன் 
சூரியக்கலை வேண்டேன் 
சந்திரக்கலை வேண்டேன் 
சுழிமுனை வேண்டேன் 
அட்டமாசித்தி வேண்டேன் 
ஆறு ஆதாரம் வேண்டேன் 
அதற்கு மேலும் வேண்டேன் 
நின் பாதாரவிந்தம் வேண்டும் 
நின் கருணை வேண்டும் 
நின் பாதாரவிந்தம் மறவா மனம் வேண்டும் 
பூண்டி ஈசா சரணம் சரணம் சரணம் 

Manikavasagar too pleads only for the opportunity to weep at his feet, brushing all other desires aside.

உற்றாரை யான் வேண்டேன் 
ஊர் வேண்டேன் 
பேர் வேண்டேன் 
கற்றாரை யான் வேண்டேன் 
கற்பனவும் இனி அமையும் குற்றாலத்து அமர்ந்து உறையும் கூத்தா 
உன் குரை கழற்கே கற்றாவின் மனம் போலக் 
கசிந்து உருக வேண்டுவனே 

Ramalinga sought the feet of Erai in the face of danger.

குருவே அயன் அரி ஆதியர் போற்றக் குறைதவிர்ப்பான் 
வருவேல் பிடித்து மகிழ் வள்ளலே குணமா மலையே 
தருவே தணிகைத் தயாநிதியே 
துன்பச் சாகரமாம் கருவேர் அறுத்திக் கடையனைக் 
காக்கக் கடன் உனக்கே 

As all the saints of the past have shown, the best bet on this path is that of self-discovery and to go for the source, keep knocking at his door till he opens the gates to his kingdom.

சிவயோக நிலை

மதிமண்ட லத்தமுதம் வாயார உண்டே
பதிமண்ட லத்தரசு பண்ண - நிதிய
நவநேய மாக்கும் நடராஜ னேயெஞ்
சிவனே கதவைத் திற.

இந்தார் அருளமுதம் யானருந்தல் வேண்டுமிங்கே
நந்தா மணிவிளக்கே ஞானசபை - எந்தாயே
கோவே எனது குருவே எனையாண்ட
தேவே கதவைத் திற.

சாகா அருளமுதம் தானருந்தி நான்களிக்க
நாகா திபர்சூழ் நடராஜா - ஏகா
பவனே பரனே பராபரனே எங்கள்
சிவனே கதவைத் திற.

அருளோங்கு தண்ணமுதம் அன்பால் அருந்தி
மருள்நீங்கி நான்களித்து வாழப் - பொருளாந்
தவநேயர் போற்றும் தயாநிதியே எங்கள்
சிவனே கதவைத் திற.

வானோர்க் கரிதெனவே மாமறைகள் சாற்றுகின்ற
ஞானோ தயஅமுதம் நானருந்த - ஆனாத்
திறப்பா வலர்போற்றும் சிற்றம் பலவா
சிறப்பா கதவைத் திற.

எல்லாமும் வல்லசித்தென் றெல்லா மறைகளுஞ்சொல்
நல்லார் அமுதமது நானருந்த - நல்லார்க்கு
நல்வாழ் வளிக்கும் நடராயா மன்றோங்கு
செல்வா கதவைத் திற.

ஏழ்நிலைக்கும் மேற்பால் இருக்கின்ற தண்ணமுதம்
வாழ்நிலைக்க நானுண்டு மாண்புறவே - கேழ்நிலைக்க
ஆவாஎன் றென்னைஉவந் தாண்டதிரு அம்பலமா
தேவா கதவைத் திற.

ஈன உலகத் திடர்நீங்கி இன்புறவே
ஞான அமுதமது நானருந்த - ஞான
உருவே உணர்வே ஒளியே வெளியே
திருவே கதவைத் திற.

திரையோ தசத்தே திகழ்கின்ற என்றே
வரையோது தண்ணமுதம் வாய்ப்ப - உரைஓது
வானேஎம் மானேபெம் மானே மணிமன்றில்
தேனே கதவைத் திற.

சோதிமலை மேல்வீட்டில் தூய திருவமுதம்
மேதினிமேல் நானுண்ண வேண்டினேன் - ஓதரிய
ஏகா அனேகா எழிற்பொதுவில் வாழ்ஞான
தேகா கதவைத் திற.

Source: http://www.thiruarutpa.org/thirumurai/v/T270/tm/sivayooka_n-ilai