Saturday 9 March 2019

PRANAMS TO THE GURU

Going by the biographies of the Nayanmars this far, it is astonishing to see how simple it is to receive the grace of Lord Siva. All these Nayanmars went about their trade and work and at the same time were very much devoted to Siva. They saw Siva both in the temples, the statues and above all saw the Lord in all the adiyar or servants of Siva. They invited them in, served them as they would the Lord himself. 

In the days of yonder each resident of a home would step out of his/her house and look to invite a passer by and serve them before they partake the food themselves. This culture has died now. Thavathiru Rengaraja Desigar calls on all of us to perform Virunthubasarippu, which is what the Nayanmars before us did too. He ask of us to usher our visitors into our homes and serve them with our hospitality. He himself began a movement to feed the poor in and around Ongarakudil, were the idea has caught like wild fire and spread across the globe. He also happens to be the pioneer saint to introduce the siddha worship and annadhanam in Malaysia. 

He is held in high regards by the siddhas for his relentless contribution towards educating society on the importance of feeding the unfortunate. He taught us the simple and practical way to gain the grace of Erai through the worship of the siddhas. I too learnt from his numerous talks and books available. Reading them made me want to meet him. I made my way to his ashram in Turaiyur on my maiden journey to India in 2003. I had the privilege to meet him in person, one to one then. 

Just as there are the mummurthi or trinity in most circles, Thavathiru Rengaraja Desigar, Supramania Swami and Tavayogi were my mummurthi in siddha worship. I am blessed to have met all three gurus. The beautiful thing about all these gurus is that they never claimed ownership over me. They showed me the way and means and stepped aside for me to travel my journey, to experience all that life had in store for me. But within I know that they had a big part in every instance of my life. They never claimed credit for it. Neither did I hang on to them. I took their teachings and journeyed along knowing pretty well that they were with me. Today even if Supramania Swami and Tavayogi are not in the physical form, I know that they are with me in spirit. 

I can never thank them for all that they did for me. Above all I can never thank enough Agathiyar who brought all of us together in this wonderful and remarkable journey of self realization. Agathiyar brought all the Gods and Goddesses, all the siddhas, rishis, munis, devas and the whole kingdom of Erai down each time at prayer.

These gurus showed us the most simplest way to gain the grace or arul of the entire pantheon of Gods and Goddesses just by showing devotion and love to Erai. A simple recitation of the names of the siddhas will open the entire portal to the other world. We are seeing this each day. 

In the beginning I too questioned how was it possible to achieve all the wondrous things promised merely by chanting the names of siddhas. But as we engaged in prayer to the siddhas we saw the results. There is no way we can sit and talk about this over tea or coffee. One has to get on the ground and dirty his hands and feet. Only experience shall teach us and reveal the secrets of the siddhas. 

My gurus never pampered us but insisted we perform the tasks given. Before we knew it, we were already aboard the boat and heading towards the light. The mystical world and realm of the siddhas awaits us. We are in no hurry to reach the destination. We are in safe hands. Pranam to our gurus for teaching us, taking care of us, and feeding us.

Guru Paduka Stotram Anantha samsara samudhra thara, 
naukayithabhyam guru bhakthithabhyam, 
Vairagya samrajyadha poojanabhyam, 
namo nama sri guru padukhabyam., Salutations and Salutations to the sandals of my Guru,
Which is a boat, which helps me,cross the endless ocean of life,
Which endows me, with the sense of devotion to my Guru,
And by worship of which, I attain the dominion of renunciation. Kavithva varasini sagarabhyam, 
dourbhagya davambudha malikabhyam, 
Dhoorikrutha namra vipathithabhyam,, 
namo nama sri guru padukhabyam., Salutations and Salutations to the sandals of my Guru,
Which is the ocean of knowledge, resembling the full moon,
Which is the water, which puts out the fire of misfortunes,
And which removes distresses of those who prostrate before it. Natha yayo sripatitam samiyu,
kadachidapyasu daridra varya, 
Mookascha vachaspathitham hi thabhyam,
namo nama sri guru padukhabyam., Salutations and Salutations to the sandals of my Guru,
Which make those who prostrate before it,
Possessors of great wealth, even if they are very poor,
And which makes even dumb people in to great orators. Naleeka neekasa pada hrithabhyam, 
nana vimohadhi nivarikabyam, 
Nama janabheeshtathathi pradhabhyam 
namo nama sri guru padukhabyam., Salutations and Salutations to the sandals of my Guru,
Which attracts us, to lotus like feet of our Guru,
Which cures us, of the unwanted desires,
And which helps fulfill the desires of those who salute. Nrupali mouleebraja rathna kanthi,
sariddha raja jjashakanyakabhyam, 
Nrupadvadhabhyam nathaloka pankhthe, 
namo nama sri guru padukhabyam., Salutations and Salutations to the sandals of my Guru,
Which shine like gems on the crown of a king,
Which shine like a maid in the crocodile infested stream,
And which make the devotees attain the status of a king. Papandhakara arka paramparabhyam, 
thapathryaheendra khageswarabhyam, 
Jadyadhi samsoshana vadaveebhyam 
namo nama sri guru padukhabyam., Salutations and Salutations to the sandals of my Guru,
Which is like a series of Suns, driving away the dark sins,
Which is like the king of eagles, driving away the cobra of miseries,
And which is like a terrific fire drying away the ocean of ignorance. Shamadhi shatka pradha vaibhavabhyam,
Samadhi dhana vratha deeksithabhyam, 
Ramadhavadeegra sthirha bhakthidabhyam, 
namo nama sri guru padukhabyam., Salutations and Salutations to the sandals of my Guru,
Which endows us, with the glorious six qualities like sham,
Which gives the students ,the ability to go in to eternal trance,
And which helps to get perennial devotion to the feet of Vishnu. Swarchaparana makhileshtathabhyam, 
swaha sahayaksha durndarabhyam, 
Swanthachad bhava pradha poojanabhyam, 
namo nama sri guru padukhabyam., Salutations and Salutations to the sandals of my Guru,
Which bestows all desires of the serving disciples,
Who are ever involved in carrying the burden of service
And which helps the aspirants to the state of realization. Kaamadhi sarpa vraja garudabhyam, 
viveka vairagya nidhi pradhabhyam, 
Bhodha pradhabhyam drutha mokshathabhyam, 
namo nama sri guru padukhabyam., Salutations and Salutations to the sandals of my Guru,
Which is the Garuda, which drives away the serpent of passion,
Which provides one, with the treasure of wisdom and renunciation,
Which blesses one, with enlightened knowledge,
And blesses the aspirant with speedy salvation.

(Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxuhFeKm5l0)