Sunday 31 March 2019

THE PATH OF LEARNING

We attend school to learn. Many lessons are taught at school. The teachers' device the lessons to test our comprehension of these teachings. We are given tests to answer. We are accessed by the answers we provide for these questions. We are given report cards or scorecards that monitor our progress.

Similarly, we learn many lessons at home and in life too. The learning never ends.

The Siddha path too is a path of learning. Ma came and said the same too. Agathiyar creates numerous situations and steps aside to watch how we figure and act in these situations. One extreme test he had for me was when I was called up for a reading, just like we are called into the Headmaster's office. Agathiyar had my Nadi before him, the report card. My mother had me in her prayers and had asked that the divine do something about my anger. So who does she ask? She knows pretty well that I would listen to Agathiyar. Chitragupta had reported to him that I was losing my temper way too often. Agathiyar summoned me and lectured me on anger management that day.

Then to see whether I took heed of the hour-long advice he gave me, he put me to test immediately. As I stepped out of the Nadi reader's office to my car, I was agitated to see another car parked alongside mine when there was umpteen number of empty parking bays on that hot Sunday afternoon. My temperature rose in the heat of noon. After honking my car horn and seeing no one respond I tried to push the car. After several attempts, it budged a little. Finally having the whole family help me out we made our way out of the parking bay. As we parked in the other side of town and walked to have our lunch, a celebrity at a local radio station stopped me and my family and lectured how small my children had kept the bindi on their forehead compared to their mother. Now I did not need another lecture from someone who was dressed in pants and shirt and told him off, asking him to walk around in vesti first before talking about upholding the culture. I had failed miserably in both tests that day.

And so Agathiyar has been placing hurdles, obstacles and tests in the paths of his devotees to see how they respond to these catalysts and what we learn from these events. He is basically nurturing the good elements in us, bringing it forward from within us, forming good habits that later become our characteristics.

All the good virtues shall bring us to do good. Hence we tend to build on our merits that help us sail through life.

We are told that Erai governs us. We are asked to worship him. Yet when we go through tough times, we begin to ask if it was fair of him to make us suffer. This is when we begin to compare with others and become more miserable for we think the one who does not pray lives a better life than we who tend to pray often. We begin to think that Erai and life are not fair. Wanting answers to lives questions, we are shown a discreet room that stores these secrets of Erai. We come to know of the Akashic records. This excites us for we are told that the Siddhas shall address all our problems by looking into these records. We sit before them and they begin to relay the whole journey of our soul that has been taking birth again and again since time immemorial. We are either saddened or elated by these revelations. Now we know the reason why Erai was not fair to us. Erai is unbias. His common law applies to everyone. So when we mess up our lives, we need to correct the mistakes by coming back again and again till we get it corrected. We stop blaming Erai. We then begin to approach him, asking if there is a way to set things right. As we cannot possibly go back in time and set things right, he offers solutions in the present where if adopted can bring an enormous change in our lives. We begin to heed his advice. We begin to pay homage and gratitude to him for helping us out. A bond is forged. We come to serve him. We follow his dictates. He takes hold of our lives. He leads us. We are in safe hands. The cycle of birth and death breaks. We are freed. He becomes our saviour.

He teaches us through others too, telling us not to follow their ways. For instance, when we had handed over the month's grocery to a lady, she asked if we could help another three families. That was good on her part to show us to others. It so happened that I met one of the ladies she had mentioned and told us that we did not have extra this time as she was not accounted for, but we would bring her groceries on our next visit. Then comes along this lady pushing her groceries in a trolley she had borrowed. As we walked together I was watching if she would share her groceries with her friend whom she had recommended. Sadly she took her cart of groceries for herself. I realise that it takes time for people to actually want to give to another or share with another.

I realize finally that all this is a play staged by Erai to mould us into a better person.