Sunday 16 February 2020

TELLING A STORY

As there are plot twists in movies or novels, so too there were many interesting twists to my story.

If originally Agathiyar wanted to go to the Jegathguru Sri Raghavendra Mrithiga Brindavanam in Ipoh and had me commission his statue from Swamimalai, he changed his mind after seeing our devotion to him during the prayers to his statue in our home, while waiting for the Brindavanam to be completed. My destiny changed the moment he moved into my home in the form of this statue, purportedly said to be in transit while awaiting the completion of the Brindavanam.

In the very first Nadi reading, Agathiyar had hinted that he wanted a temple built. As I was fresh, enthusiastic and eager to carry out his wishes, I scouted around existing temples in my vicinity to see if the temple committee could provide a space for Agathiyar to take abode. But none of the committees pleased me. I let it be.

Several twists to my destiny came as I traveled on my maiden flight to India, to perform a pilgrimage of temples, a long list, listed by Agathiyar in my Nadi. Together with this list, came a message that I would meet my Guru. No name, place nor moment was mentioned. After circumambulating the Holy mountain of Arunachala, and having some free time before continuing to Chennai the next morning to board my flight back to Malaysia, I recalled my wife's wish to have a horoscope drawn up for our younger daughter in India. She was a catalyst that initiated a chain of events. Raji, the driver appointed to fetch me at Chennai airport took ill suddenly and was replaced by Deventhiran. When I told Deva my wife's wish, he replied "Why wait till we reach Chennai when my uncle, also an astrologer, is just minutes away, living in his village some 8 kilometers from Thiruvannamalai town center." My fate was rewritten that day. A new destiny dawned as I left Supramania Swami's humble cottage having spent some awesome 5 hours with him. He was the Guru Agathiyar had mentioned.

After meeting my very first guru Supramania Swami in Tiruvannamalai, and staying in correspondence through the snail mail and STD booths, he mooted the idea to build a temple for Lord Murugan. We gave support and assistance. But there came a twist to this venture too when one day a stranger stood at the confluence of the road opposite his newly built kudil and called out to him. He reprehended Swami for going ahead with building the temple asking him why he was taking a step back, stepping from Gnana to Bakti. Swami dropped the 40-year desire that he carried in him that day. That day his deep-rooted vasana was erased.

When Thai Veedu Thangarasan M.A. scouted the length and breadth of India for the place indicated to him to set up an Ashram by Agathiyar, he located Agathiyar Vanam in the foothills of Kallaru. A leaflet indicating his intention was passed to me by the Nadi reader Sentilkumar after my very first Nadi reading in 2002 in Malaysia. I kept it with me. In 2005, I come across an advert in a Tamil daily, announcing the opening of the Agathiyar Gnana Peedham in Malaysia that would be officiated by Tavayogi Thangarasan Adigal of Kallar Ashram. I made my way to the establishment and met him. We became acquainted and I took up his invitation to visit his Ashram. Just before he ended his visit, Agathiyar through my second Nadi reading that came after a 3-year gap, instructed me to take initiation from Tavayogi the same night. This surprised both Tavayogi and me because I had already received it the day I met him for the first time, together with several others. Nevertheless, Tavayogi initiated me again, heeding the words of Agathiyar. That was another twist. My destiny changed again that night. After the initiation, the earlier Nadi reading was erased mysteriously and in a re-reading, the local chapter of his affiliate Peedham which I was to frequent and learn further about the Siddhas was not mentioned anymore. I came under the direct purview of my Guru Tavayogi.

A month after his departure I find myself standing at his Ashram door. I am ushered into his arms and into his heart. I am taken in as his disciple. We took a dip in the stream that flowed near his ashram; took a long walk over the hills and dales and found ourselves in the caves of Uthiyur; we traveled to Ooty where Tavayogi showed me to Sargurunathar's Ashram, another belonging to his follower disciple in Kasolai, a temple managed by a Swamiji and finally, a lone Swamiji, curdle in a corner of a large mansion in thick blankets, protecting himself from the cold of Nilgiri hills and the monsoon rain that poured outside. Our travels took us further into the Western Ghats, supposedly older than the Himalayas, according to UNESCO, Agathiyar Falls in Kalyana Theertham, the caves of neighboring Kutrallam and the temples of Papanasam. He brought me to Agasthiyampalli, Tanjavur, and Palani. These were places that Tavayogi had spent meditating during his sojourn while roaming India as a mendicant. I had my very first stay and experience of life in an Ashram, his Kallar Ashram, and that of sleeping in the caves, experiences that would never have come my way if I had not met Tavayogi and if he had not taken me under his wings and if Agathiyar did not bring about the twist in the plot. When Tavayogi shifted to his new Ashram grounds, I thought Agathiyar's wish to see a temple built for him was fulfilled. But it was not to be so, as a twist awaited me again.

From an individual's home prayer, Agathiyar made me open the doors to my home to strangers whom he directed to my home for his Pournami Puja. We soon became a family. My home took a new name Agathiyar Vanam Malaysia (AVM). When Tavayogi initiated me to carry out the Homam, and later to carry out the Jayanthi celebrations for Agathiyar, simultaneously conducted by him at his Kallar Ashram, the home took on a mode of festivities will devotees of his spilling to the grounds of the home, trying to catch a glimpse of the rituals. Then another twist to the tale unfolded. Lord Muruga told me that I had to move house. But I was very much contented with what I had and with my personal and individual prayers, occasionally playing host to a small group of devotees of Agathiyar. I never wanted to start a Peedham, Ashram, organization or society, even when Tavayogi went around officiating many affiliated branches of his Kallar Peedham in Malaysia. Then Lord Muruga sends his dearest disciple Agathiyar over to convince me to come to terms. Agathiyar explained to me the reason and need to move. My present house and premises were too small to host the crowd that he was to send over for his Vizha or Puja. As I did not move nor make a bid or an effort, Agathiyar offered to undertake. Here comes another interesting twist to the plot. When the said and given duration was nearing fast, coming to an end, he tells me that it was not necessary. I could stay put. Upon further enquiring, he tells me that it was a proposal put forth just to test me to see if I fell for his game. I must thank my lucky stars for not falling into his trap. I suppose deep, deep in the recesses of my heart and memory was a vasana or desire engrained that needed to see the light of the day. Hence the reason for the subject of erecting a temple arises again and again. But finally, it has been put to rest. For he decided to have me walk the path alone, taking a journey within. He had me closed the Whatsapp groups and leave others too. He has me confined within the four walls of his room, asking me to go within now. He comes to guide. He comes to stay longer. He comes to monitor our progress. 

Just as we come across rows and rows of shops selling all kinds of wares that make us take a second look, stop and contemplate on buying them, walking down the path with Agathiyar saw him draw out gifts and presents that he offered for the taking. The mediumship to the Nadi; mediumship to healing; authority and power, all was for grabs. But I played it safe. I turned them all down. I was cautious about accepting the numerous gifts he presented at the end of our mission or assignment. I did not want things that are prone to change, and perishable and that which builds the ego in us. I only wanted what was nonperishable and permanent. Finally, he gave himself as revealed by Ramalinga Adigal recently.

I was always curious to know why Agathiyar whenever he asks for a song, his favorite would be on Lord Narayana, he also asks a song of Vallal (Vallalar or Ramalinga Adigal) too, usually his Vennilaa Kanni "Thannai Arinthu Inbamura Vennilaave". Finally, he revealed that Ramalinga Adigal is always with him, traveling wherever he goes. This news brings me to the days of travel of Jnana Jhothiamma who became acquainted with Vengadesh Swami who cared for the needs of Krishnaveni Amma of Kalyana Theertam. According to Vengadesh Swami, Krishnaveni Amma used to have visitations from Lord Muruga and Agathiyar. Whenever Agathiyar comes, Shridi Sai Baba follows him too.


Tavayogi who told me at the start of this memorable journey, that one had to serve the guru some long 12 years before he can expect the grace of his guru, also told us that we had somehow come to the fold and caught hold of Agathiyar, pretty easily, while recalling his journey, where he had to travel the long painful journey as a mendicant searching, looking, finding and finally attaining his grace. Ramalinga Adigal told my 2 1/2-year-old granddaughter that he had to spend 12 long years in tapas to attain Agathiyar while she has come to his fold at such a young age. What did we do to gain his blessings and grace? Nothing significant. Nothing prominent. Nothing worth mentioning. But yet he has come as a savior, showing us the way to salvation, to save the soul from taking birth upon birth.

We are indeed indebted to him lifelong. I can never repay the blessings and compassion showered on us by Agathiyar. He came into our lives and has brought many twists to our story, which otherwise would be rather mundane. Now we have many stories to tell. In the 17 years of worship to him, learning many lessons through experiences he gave, we have come to accept that he is in charge. All that we can do is show our devotion and serve him. The least we can do is show our devotion and serve him. The least we can do is to talk about and share his marvels. This is the least form of appreciation and gratitude one can possibly return for all he has showered on us. I am truly indebted to Supramania Swami for offering the merits of his 40 year tapas which skyrocketed my journey lifting me from the depths of the snake and ladder game to a somewhat higher placement. I am indebted to Tavayogi for his silent teachings that came in the form of an adventure rather than tutorials and lectures, lessons that have sunk deep into the crevices of my mind and body.

Have you a story to tell? Message me your e-mail address in the comments section and we can get connected.