Tuesday 18 February 2020

TO ACCEPT OR DECLINE? SIMPLIFIED

After reading my response to her questions, my friend and comrade writes in her views, that clarify and simplify the subject further. I thank her for her valuable views and participation.
Wow aiya, what a masterful response, pure truthful knowledge, for my soul anyway. 
“Agathiyar says there is no right or wrong. Neither does he differentiate or endorse the right from the wrong. We only have choices. We only know if we had made the right choice after seeing the results or outcome of our selection. It is we who determine if an action is right or wrong after going through or gaining the experience and learning a lesson from it. We become wiser from learning the lesson. This becomes a lesson to others then. People seek us out for advice for we have been there, have had the experience.” 
Absolutely, I see this now.  Essentially every offer, opportunity or test is tailored for an individual for subjective experience.  We may fail after making a choice or conversely we may succeed after making a choice.  However we decide if we had failed or succeeded, not him.  All he does is provide an opportunity to learn from (therefore no right or wrong). Unfortunately we are human and enslaved by earth bound maya, materialism, societal and various other norms.  The problem arises when we measure our experiences against these norms; we are almost certain to perceive failure or a choice as having gone wrong.
What about us who are hale and healthy and are in a position to help others? Should we look upon the sufferings of the others as his/her karma that he/she has to live out or choose to see the divine in others and go the extra mile to assist or bring a change as in their lives hence serving humanity? But being humans the ego in us wants to go into action, doing things that bring acclamation that the ego yearns and seeks. The inflated ego continuously seeks attention. Coming to the Siddhas, we see the ego break and crumble. We are continuously reminded to carry out good deeds without the sense of "I am the doer."  
While the sufferings of the others is indeed his/her karma that he/she has to live out, can we turn away from them.  They are already experiencing the wrath of their karma hence wherever we are on the siddha path we should have acquired some compassion to realise we have a responsibility to help, without any expectactations.  Pursuing charity with the expectation of advancing spiritually is also unhealthy and not the means for ideal attainment.  Charity should be pursued with “blinckers” on; where you continue to do it over and over, until you forget why you are doing it.  So, should some random person should ask “why do you do this work, all this charity, feeding, helping, giving etc”.  You may stop and think, then reply “I don’t know why I do it, I just know I do it and I want to do it”.  As one forgets why they do it, it gradually becomes a part of their DNA, a part of who they are (or become), there is no reason for “why”.  Perhaps this is when selflessness, true compassion and unconditional love rises up from the soul and squeezes out ego.
Agasthiyar may suggest various ways on how charity, service to humany or all other living beings should be supported.  I am inclined to think that should an individual execute his services honourably from within his capability, financial means, support mechanisms, other resources etc, however large or small, his/her efforts are deemed to be appreciated and accepted, not just by Agasthiyar but also by one’s soul.  Using one’s own initiative, creativity and insights in serving others is probably a good approach rather than being susceptible to a difficult test of some kind.  This does not guarantee that difficult tests will not come but when it knocks, the slightly more matured soul provides aid and insights  to resolve such difficulties. 
“Agathiyar casually hinted that he would present the gift of the Nadi to me to use for myself and read for others too. This gift comes at a time when I began to understand the subject and the web that is spun around this highly debated oracle, object, and subject. Do I need it I ask myself? Of what use would it be on my personal journey of unfoldment? No. I did not have a need for it. I told him that I did not want it. If I had coverted or desired for it Agathiyar would have placed it in my hands and I would have been tied down for the rest of my life. For if I had accepted my journey would have ended there. Word would go around and people would come by daily to have a reading. Although it can be considered as a service to others, I would be caught in the web that is spun.” 
And then there are gifts.
In response to my own question:“However how does one distinguish from what one can and should accept from him and that which is bound to set us back?” 
Shan aiya makes a bold decision and an informed choice.  It clearly  stems from an advanced level of self-realisation.  The gift of the nadi, the gift to heal, a bigger premises, the opportunity to lead … all very appealing, attractive, tempting, alluring.  One could readily accept the impressive offer of doing the work of the siddhas, serving the ones in need, making a difference, creating a virtuous path into the future for others but at what price?  The price would be determined subjectively by each individual.  Having insight into oneself advises what one is amenable to accept or compromise. I guess, the maturity of one’s soul alone would have the vision of a spinning web, covert spin of desire, a slippery slope,  subtle enticements. There is indeed no right or wrong.  The soul is unquestionably the teacher. If one is engaged in and living the 5 tenents of life purposefully and involved in various other self adopted services from inside and outside the soul and one’s only desire is the gift of  being given a space at his feet, the choice is obvious.  No questions, no judgements.  A very long journey ahead for me. 
I am explicitly no expert on the subject, however there are instances when one is able to discern the pros and cons (as opposed to right or wrong) of an opportunity.  In weighing these up, an informed choice or decision can be easily achieved.  Admittedly I have acquired some cheat tricks along the way to survive this tatical game.  If an opportunity is loaded around earthly trappings (again individual determinants), I walk away, I choose the path.  Would it be a lost opportunity?  Perhaps it would, however having to be on the ball in the daily match of tennis, is there any time to count losses? 
New experiences.  New experiences is a different kettle of fish.  Often they are spiked with karma, the kind one wishes to avoid but it finds one anyway.  Shan aiya advises, “do not sulk, do not regret, learn from it, move on”.  Brilliant advice.  However as human, as mere ignorant mortals I too have argued these challenges and tests.  We all struggle with some issues more than others. Some new experiences are easy to learn from and move on.  Then there are those which seek to rip out your soul and turn you into someone you will not recognise…. Literally I guess.  My truth is that I too,  have a reputation of not  coping well with some of these. 
Shan aiya provides my response: “Imagine if I had shoved aside Agathiyar's call to come to his path? Where would I be then?” 
Thank you Shan aiya, for answering my questions and provoking my thinking further.  We are blessed to have a source to turn to when we require guidance, clarity, insight etc. on our quest for gnana/enlightenment. On peering in from the outside the path smacks of joy, happiness, bliss, peacefulness, realisation.  Be not fooled, the path itself is not for the weak, delicate or faint hearted. 
My views above, are based on my limited knowledge and experience, please interpret them as such.
She says it beautifully that "The soul is unquestionably the teacher." Indeed it's true. Agathiyar always keeps telling us that he only sees the soul and not the body that is given identification papers, color, race, religion, etc. I remember many years back, on our outing to a small town a half-hour drive from Kulim, that is known to stock Tamil magazines and books. With the intent to scout around and purchase some good books, I took to the wheel while my nephew and his father accompanied. But it was a disappointing trip, or so we thought, for the shop did not carry them no more as the readership of these mags and books had dropped, they were not bringing in new titles. On the way back my nephew happens to point out to a side road ahead and mentioned that there was the Dhyana Ashram foundered and currently run by Swami Brahmananda Saraswathi, a student of Chinmaya Mission, India. He asks if we wanted to drop in as he had spent some time attending classes with them and knew the Swamiji. While his father chose to return, my hands automatically turned the wheels towards the side road and we found ourselves at the Ashram. My nephew went to look for the Swamiji asking us both to take a tour of the premises. As my brother-in-law and I entered the meditation hall, several large bronze statues caught my eye. Then it moved to a man clad in the traditional attire of a sadhu. He seemed to be circumambulating a shrine at the far end of the hall. On completion, he came towards us at the doorway. But as my brother-in-law moved away, I too followed him into another room. That is when my nephew informs us that Swamiji was waiting to see us. We spent some moments with Swami Brahmananda Saraswathi, before taking leave. Then my nephew rushes us to meet someone else telling me to fall at his feet the moment we see him. Surprisingly we come face to face with the sadhu who I saw earlier. I fell at his feet and stayed there. My nephew seemed to know him and spoke long with the sadhu only giving gestures. Finally, the sadhu told me to get up and gave me the sacred ash and a look that pierced me and went beyond. I have yet to meet someone with a similar powerful gaze. He took leave of us. My nephew then runs down the background of the sadhu. This was the second time he was meeting him, the first took place at the Sri Athi Bhagawathi Amman Thiruchalam, at Bukit Dumbar, Penang, managed by my nephew's Guru. It was then that he came to know of the Siddhis that the sadhu could perform. When I mentioned the unique and penetrating gaze of the sadhu, my nephew explained that he was scanning me looking at my soul.

These days when Agathiyar comes we realize that he too addresses the individual's soul and puts questions to the soul rather than take the word or wishes of the individual with a name and face who stands before him. Amazing. Having Agathiyar around is like having a personal coach train us. When I ask to leave, preferring to provide the space and a moment of privacy between the seeker or devotee and Agathiyar, he calls me to stay and sit beside him. Finally, he explains the reason too, telling me that I need to witness and learn from others' experiences. Here I saw how he dealt so professionally with individuals, listening to them and then questioning their soul if that is what it wanted. In these moments I began to realize that what we wanted as an individual need not necessarily be what our soul wanted. He speaks to the soul.

He tells us that diving within in meditation we too can meet and speak to our soul. That is the day we would actually come to know the true purpose of us (the soul and not Shanmugam Avadaiyapa) taking this birth. If we generally go for a Nadi reading to know about our past karma, Tavayogi once told me that through meditation you can come to know what you had done in the past births. When we seek the Nadi, Agathiyar addresses the individual seated before him who carries a unique thumbprint, a name, a face, and a past. He reveals his story. But when he comes personally, he sets aside the individual, scans the soul and speaks to it, getting the true picture, for the soul is covered and veiled by the many apparels we have created for ourselves. He sees through the guise. He sees the genuine and not the pretense or adulterated version.

When Agathiyar dished out remedies to the next of kin of one whose life was slipping away, he reminded them to inform the dying soul to keep up its spirit too. After performing all that was asked of Agathiyar, yet the man died. Close relatives chided and spoke ill of Agathiyar and the devotee who took up the dying man's case with Agathiyar. They hurt his feeling saying that it was a waste of time and energy in carrying out the complicated parikaram. They sarcastically told him to put his life to better use rather than run after Agathiyar. Never is there a Nadi reading for a dead man but there was an exception here. The devotee was called up for a reading. In it, Agathiyar questions him, "What am I suppose to do? You had carried out all the parikara faithfully but that soul had given up on life!" Agathiyar makes a pertinent point here. Do not ask to save another life just because of the relationship and bond that we carry and because we care. Ascertain first if that soul wants to continue living! I receive numerous calls and messages asking to pray from fellow devotees. Most of the time I do not even know them or their history. I am only told that they are a relative or a friend or someone they know. These days I even receive forwarded messages on social media that are circulated, calling for prayers to save individuals. 

Ruzbeh N Bharucha in his blog and writings sheds some light to this mystery at https://www.speakingtree.in/blog/the-master-s-grace
Yes, the laws of karma are rigid and the cards are dealt without emotion. What one has sowed, one shall reap. The experience shall be gone through. There is no escaping this fact. And yet throughout the ages, through time, Sages, mystics, Sufis, the Holy Scriptures, all proclaim that The Master is Merciful. On one hand we have the unyielding laws of cause and effect. On the other hand we have the mercy and tenderness of The Master.
When a sibling of a mother pleaded to him to save her sister's son, Ma came to remind us that Agathiyar went the extra mile to amend the fate of a dying child for his devotee. But he made it known that it came with numerous risks. Only after forewarning and getting the approval of the next of kin of the affected party, did he roll the dice, just as the doctors warn us of the risks involved in any major operation. 

Ruzbeh says that "They are so merciful that our Masters seek no credit for the innumerable times when They have protected us from our own karma, our own stupidities and that of the world." And so it was that the master came for his students, disciples, and devotees. 

As Ruzbeh says, ".. the Perfect Master, like our Baba Sai, who can stand between us and our own karma and work things out in the best way S(H)e feels is right and appropriate for the wellbeing of the disciple and devotee", Agathiyar only after careful consideration decided to interfere in the laws of karma and deal the cards. The master might not grant or deliver what we ask for at times if it would hurt us further. He would rather see us suffer in pain a few days rather than have us suffer life long. But our greatest setback is our hold on the relationship with the world and the bond it creates.

He narrates a story where Shridi Sai tells a disciple the reason he refused to help revive the dead child of a lady. The soul had already taken birth elsewhere. If he brings it back to life, imagine the catastrophe that would unwind as a result. The parents of the newborn child will be devastated! 

Be careful in what we want for another. Let the aged and sick individual decide whether he or she wants to prolong their life (and suffering). Most of the time the concerned party will not be aware of what its soul actually desires. Neither will we - the next of kin.

To a question, "For example ...You mentioned, The mediumship to the Nadi; mediumship to healing...did he approach it as an offer or a fulfillment of purpose or an instruction? Can one decline and how?", I declined and he accepted my stand, to a certain degree.

He decides what we should do if it serves a bigger purpose that only he knows. He never brought up the subject of the Nadi as a gift again. But the healing continues with the Siddhas coming to attend to the need of the devotee and the need of the moment. For instance, I was cured of my back pain by Lord Murugan with a peacock feather and recital of the Arutperunjhoti Maha mantra, simultaneous while the Nadi was read. In another instance, Dhavantri healed my ailing back by applying the sacred ash. Agathiyar personally healed another two devotees, ridding the back pain with the sacred ash and healing a torn ligament, calling for us to bring several ingredients from our grounds and pounding it himself to make a poultice respectively. This reminds me of the story told by Agathiyar in the Nadi to the late Hanumathdasan Aiya of how a Siddha prepared a medicine to help regain a child her diminishing sight relief the stomach pain of her mother in the jungles of Kollimalai. He had them sit outside his hut while he prepared the medicines. On their next visit, there was neither his hut nor him and nobody remembered seeing him. A Siddha in our early days of devotion to them brought a family together, ridding the cause of their problems. In these instances, they tell us that they have a task to attend to, and want us to step aside and watch as they go about doing these siddhis. We took heed of the instruction and gave way for the divine to carry out its miracles and lila.

Jnana Jhotiamma was relieved of her pain in her legs as she came down the steps to Palani by a young lad who drew out a tiny vel and massaged her feet with it. Who else could that be if not Lord Muruga, she thought as he raced up the flight of steps just as fast as he came down? The Tamil movie Seedan beautifully depicts the story of how Lord Murugan comes in present times answering the call of his devotee, serves her and finally vanishes into thin air, on the steps of his temple in Palani, bringing the devotee to realize that he had come and stayed with them all this while.  This is the magic of the Siddhas.