Monday 27 April 2020

KARMA & BIRTH

Only after coming to Agathiyar did I learn about karma. He spoke about it in my very first Nadi reading. Before revealing the Karma or Parikara Santhi Canto, he started with the General Canto. After the formal salutations to Lord Ganapathy, Agathiyar began to reveal the General canto for a son. He described my thumbprint. He charted my horoscope, stating the planetary positions at the time of birth. He went on to confirm details about my family, career, etc. He told me that I was fated to come seeking the Nadi at the age of 44.

He spoke about the fault in the stars and flaws in the positions of the planets during my birth. Today I understand it as the exact date and time of birth is determined and picked so as to align with the planets such that they would either shower their blessings or lay obstacles in our path according to what we deserved. Hence he asked me to engage in doing certain agamas to appease the planets. By doing them, he said it would give rise to spiritual clarity and advancement. The shortcomings will be overcome by the grace of the divine. He envisioned a future that incorporated spiritual thoughts, social service, and temple worship. He predicted that I shall take ill when I am in my sixties, shall succumb to breathing difficulties and faults in the heart. But the dangers shall fade away by engaging in agamas. By his grace, I am moving on to 61 this year. If I sail through this kandam or obstacle unscathed and manage to survive I could live till my eighties.

It is interesting to know that a stranger who was to turn sixty the following day, somehow managed to secure my telephone number and called me on the eve and asked if he could join in our home prayers. I invited him over. Later he told me that Agathiyar in the Nadi reading in February of the year had asked him to participate in a Siddha puja before he turned sixty. He ignored the call for reasons only known to him. He only came in November, a day before his birthday, in desperation and fear I suppose. He had called and contacted many centers aligned with the worship of the Siddhas but none did rituals. He left satisfied and happy after we performed a homa and abhisegam for Agathiyar. A year later he calls me and enquires if I knew a particular Nadi reader in India. I blew my top. I asked him where had he been for the past year and asked if he would only come to Agathiyar when faced with danger. The first time he sought Agathiyar was when his son took ill. He frequented a local peedham associated with Agathiyar hoping his son would recover. After his son recovered, he stopped going over. After two years he turned up at my home. After participating in the puja he went missing only to call me again to ask if I knew any Nadi reader in India. I refused to entertain him. It saddens me to see people use Agathiyar for their needs and dump him after Agathiyar saves them. The least they could do was to thank him by worshipping him at their homes. Most see him as an astrologer. Never seeing him as the divine compassionate Father. Period.

After the General Canto, Agathiyar comes to reveal the reason for this birth in the Karma or Parikara Santhi Canto. Agathiyar reveals my past births that propelled me to take birth again. Having taken birth in Kerala as a priest, I was doing seva in the temple. But I befriended certain bad hats and tortured the poor treating them as slaves. I had altered the ways of the Veda and incurred the wrath of the elders. I earned the wrath of the adiyar or servants of God too by making them suffer. Realizing my mistakes I had regretted and began to do charity and service, which brought on their blessings. Hence the reason for taking this birth. But as the curses were brought forward and continued into this birth, I saw obstacles placed in my path.

To my surprise, in the Jeeva Nadi reading in the possession of Tavayogi and now with Mataji, in 2016, Agathiyar mentions yet another birth of mine at Papanasam and says that my family was together with me then too. We were fruit sellers and used to serve the fruits to Agathiyar there before beginning our daily sales. Hence this birth was given in recognition of us serving Agathiyar daily.

I can only deduce that this birth is a result of a combination of factors and karma that is accumulated over two or more births. If the earlier birth in Kerala impacted my present birth throwing obstacles on my path, the seva I did for Agathiyar while at Papanasam must be bringing me his blessings to counter an otherwise miserable life. If Karma both good and bad, is the catalyst that starts the ball rolling initiating the cycle of life and death, then I can safely say that it looks like my bad karma in my past birth in Kerala and my good karma in another birth in Papanasam had jointly contributed to this birth and this life where I have a good life thrown with some occasional obstacles and disappointments. This would explain the occasional upheavals in an otherwise good life of others too.

But the most compassionate father provides the means and the way to overcome these obstacles too. He lists certain agamas to be carried out. Firstly I was to pay homage to the Nool or Nadi that carried and brought to me this revelation and gave clarity and reason for taking birth. After receiving the grace of its authors, the Siddhas, Agathiyar sends me to pay my respect to Lord Siva, and donate to his servants; pray to Lord Muruga lighting a light; pay my respects to the trinity at Utamar temple, and give handouts to their servants, and finally pay my respects to Lord Siva at Tiruanaikaval, and Saturn at Paalur. These would help ease my karma.

In the Diksa Canto, Agathiyar lists certain parikaram or remedies to help remove the obstacles further. He asks to chant Lord Ganapathy's mantra 108 times for 48 days. By worshipping the Siddhas, and Lord Siva, I could expect a better life, adds Agathiyar.

When Sivabalan who brought Senthilkumar over to Malaysia, initiated me to read my Gnana Canto, mentioning that it was a rare canto, not available for many, I followed his calling. I was one of the lucky ones to locate it and read it. But before reading it Senthilkumar left us to do a prayer before continuing, something that baffled me.

Agathiyar in the Gnana Canto, told me that although I would come to engage myself in worship and prayers, heeding to the agamas, worship Lord Siva and Agathiyar, and engage in practices initiated and blessed by the guru, I shall not excel in my spiritual ventures and practices as my karma shall come on as a stumbling block. But Agathiyar brings relief by pointing me to the worship Lord Siva at 4 of his abodes and ultimately arriving at the final destination the fifth that shall be Tiruvannamalai. I shall need to make sure I was there on a full moon day to circumambulate the holy hill. After worshipping Lord Siva and Lord Muruga at Tiruvannamalai I needed to head to Palani.

Agathiyar did not desert me because of my karma and its strong hold on me to the extent that it came between me and the divine and robbing me of the blessings waiting to be showered on me. So strong is the hold of karma that even the divine cannot extend its help immediately to his devotee. Even after having pacified the planets and its lords, the gods and goddesses, doing charity and parting with a small portion of our earnings, yet the karma holds a tight grip on us.

But before this was possible, I needed to engage in Deha Suddhi or cleansing the body, internally, through the practice of Vaasi or Pranayama. Agathiyar goes on to explain how it is done. "Chose the hour of Brahma or Brahma Velai, 2 hours before sunrise to practice the sadhana. Ensure both the Ida and Pingala are flowing freely, clearing the passages by doing Nadi Suddhi. The practice of Nadi Suddhi aids to clear the blocked passage. Then begin to worship the breath, bringing it to settle naturally. With Diksa from the guru, you shall excel further in this practice." Agathiyar reveals that I shall meet my guru unexpectedly. He arranged for me to meet my very first guru Supramania Swami at Tiruvannamalai fulfilling his prophesy that I shall meet him unexpectedly. Agathiyar consoles me saying that the guru's upadesam that shall come along my way will help rid all the karma that stands in my way as obstacles on my spiritual path. Besides his upadesa Agathiyar shall come through the Nadi too to guide. He asks to chant the names of the 18 Siddhas. He says all the answers that bring clarity to life's mysteries are within him. We only need to connect with him to receive the answers to all these mysteries.

Now he comes to speak about my mission that of helping and assisting others in building temples and finally build one for him. Agathiyar asks to engage in service towards the public which will bring an upliftment. He asks that I carry out the practices mentioned and that he shall see me in two years' time.

When I met Tavayogi Thangarasan Adigal in 2005 who came to Malaysia to officiate a local chapter of his peedham in Kallar, I told him that it was time I saw the Nadi again as Agathiyar had instructed. Tavayogi pointed me to Nadi Nool Aasan T.Ramesh. Hence began a beautiful relationship between the spiritual guru and disciple and also the Nadi guru and his client.

I had complete faith and belief in the Siddhas and their word. There were many interesting revelations on the aspects of life that prompted me to research deeply their teachings. The subject of Karma was one of them. Much has been written about it in these posts,

https://agathiyarvanam.blogspot.com/2014/05/if-one-were-to-follow-episodes-posted.html
https://agathiyarvanam.blogspot.com/2014/05/karma-part-2.html
https://agathiyarvanam.blogspot.com/2014/05/karma-part-3.html
https://agathiyarvanam.blogspot.com/2014/05/karma-part-4.html

But one question was never answered till now? If birth is the result of our cumulative past actions or karma, what was the first action we did that necessitated us to be born?

Isaignani Ilaiyaraja penned a song questioning how he got separated from Lord Siva from his abode and suggests that he took birth here due to a desire and was now finding his way back home.



We have seen such episodes portrayed on the silver screen when Devas and other higher beings, for instance, sighting a beautiful maiden on earth break their vows and are forced to come down to the earth to live an earthly life before returning to their abode in the heavens etc. Was this how it could have started?

Ramalinga Adigal though lists an extensive list of possible acts that could have brought about birth in his Manumurai Kanda Vaasagam at http://www.vallalar.org/Tamil/V000000076B



'மாதாபிதாக்கள் செய்தது மக்களுக்கு' என்னும் பெரியோர் வார்த்தையின்படி நான் செய்த தீவினையே என் புத்திரனுக்க நேரிட்ட தென்று நினைத்து என்னை வெறுத்துக்கொள்ள வேண்டுமென்றாலும், இந்தப் பிறப்பில் என் புத்தியறிந்து ஒரு தீங்குஞ் செய்ததில்லையே! இந்தப் பிறப்பில் இல்லாவிட்டாலும் முற்பிறப்பிலே

நல்லோர் மனத்தை நடுங்கச் செய்தேனோ!
வலிய வழக்கிட்டு மானங் கெடுத்தேனோ!
தானங் கொடுப்போரைத் தடுத்து நின்றேனோ!
கலந்த சினேகரைக் கலகஞ் செய்தேனோ!
மனமொத்த நட்புக்கு வஞ்சகஞ் செய்தேனோ!
குடிவரி யுயர்த்திக் கொள்ளை கொண்டேனோ!
ஏழைகள் வயிறு எரியச் செய்தேனோ!
தருமம் பாராது தண்டஞ் செய்தேனோ!
மண்ணோரம் பேசி வாழ்வழித்தேனோ!
உயிர்க்கொலை செய்வோர்க்க உபகாரஞ் செய்தேனோ!
களவு செய்வோர்க்கு உளவு சொன்னேனோ!
பொருளை இச்சித்துப் பொய் சொன்னேனோ!
ஆசைகாட்டி மோசஞ் செய்தேனோ!
வரவுபோக் கொழிய வழியடைத்தேனோ!
வேலையிட்டுக் கூலி குறைத்தேனோ!
பசித்தோர் முகத்தைப் பாராதிருந்தேனோ!
இரப்போர்க்குப் பிச்சை இல்லையென்றேனோ!
கோள் சொல்லிக் குடும்பங் குலைத்தேனோ!
நட்டாற்றிற் கையை நழுவவிட்டேனோ!
கலங்கி யொளித்தோரைக் காட்டிக்கொடுத்தேனோ!
கற்பழிந்தவளைக் கலந்திருந்தேனோ!
காவல் கொண்டிருந்த கன்னியை அழித்தேனோ!
கணவன்வழி நிற்போரைக் கற்பழித்தேனோ!
கருப்பமழித்துக் களித்திருந்தேனோ!
குருவை வணங்கக் கூசிநின்றேனோ!
குருவின் காணிக்கை கொடுக்க மறந்தேனோ!
கற்றவர் தம்மைக் கடுகடுத்தேனோ!
பெரியோர் பாட்டிற் பிழைசொன்னேனோ!
பக்ஷியைக் கூண்டில் பதைக்க அடைத்தேனோ!
கன்றுக்குப் பாலு‘ட்டாது கட்டிவைத்தேனோ!
ஊன்சுவை யுண்டு உடல் வளர்த்தேனோ!
கல்லும் நெல்லும் கலந்து விற்றேனோ!
அன்புடையவர்க்குத் துன்பஞ் செய்தேனோ!
குடிக்கின்ற நீருள்ள குளந் து‘ர்த்தேனோ!
வெய்யிலுக் கொதுங்கும் விருக்ஷ மழித்தேனோ!
பகைகொண்டு அயலோர் பயிரழித்தேனோ!
பொதுமண்டபத்தைப் போயிடித்தேனோ!
ஆலயக் கதவை அடைத்து வைத்தேனோ!
சிவனடியாரைச் சீறி வைதேனோ!
தவஞ் செய்வோரைத் தாழ்வு சொன்னேனோ!
சுத்த ஞானிகளைத் து‘ஷணஞ் செய்தேனோ!
தந்தைதாய் மொழியைத் தள்ளி நடந்தேனோ!
தெய்வ மிகழ்ந்து செருக்கடைந்தேனோ!
என்ன பாவம் செய்தேனோ! இன்னதென்றறியேனே!

When Agathiyar came once and asked me what I wanted, I pondered for a while. I had everything. I had nothing to ask of him. But I wanted to give him something in return for all his love, kindness, compassion, and care. So I told him that I would want to take many births and come back to serve him. "Is that your wish?" he asked. I was stunned for a moment back then. Did I ask the wrong thing? I then told him I do not know what to ask for fear that it might be wrong? He then called me closer and told me, "You do see what's happening around you, don't you?" I understood what he meant. I then asked him if there was any other way to serve him without taking a birth? He did not reply to my question but left abruptly. 

Then speaking to another devotee over a telephone conversation regarding what to ask, we finally agreed that we should ask for Gnana. Tavayogi always lamented that those who came to him and Agathiyar's Jeeva Nadi always asked for petty things rather than true knowledge or Gnana. The next time Agathiyar came, he surprised me by saying that I had asked for Gnana. He had listened in on my conversation. He went on to explain the means of gaining it. So we nailed it when we asked for Gnana since both Tavayogi and Mataji often quote a saying, பிறந்திடவே ஆகாது, பிறந்தாய் ஆனால் ஞான வித்தை கற்க வேண்டும் that is, one should not be born; but if one were to be born again due to circumstances, then he should ask for Gnana. We come here taking birth multiple times in an attempt to end this cycle of birth and death, and if we fail the consolation would be at least we attempted to gain Gnana.

In days of past, we have heard of our elders say that they were gifted with a child often after great tapas or tavam or தவமாய் தவம் இருந்து பெற்ற குழந்தை. There are many parents wanting a child just as we are told there are many souls waiting to be born to the right parents for reasons known only to them. Agathiyar told a couple who wanted a child badly, having had to abort it several times for medical reasons, to be patient, to wait for the right soul to come along. Eventually they had a lovely child. When a mother lost her newborn baby, she pleaded to Shirdi Sai to revive the child. Baba refused. Later he told his followers that the soul had already taken birth elsewhere. It would not be morally right to revive the dead child and relieve the other couple of their joy. When Agathiyar addressed both my daughters he told them that they had wanted to be born in this family. He added that "Birth is given when asks for. Enjoy what life has to offer. Start charity and seva small. It shall grow. That is your first duty. These little acts shall generate compassion in you. Open your heart. Life shall teach you lessons. Learn."

"நீங்கள் இருவரும் அவர்களுக்கு மகளாய் பிறக்கே வேண்டும் என்று கேட்டு வந்தீர்கள். பிறப்பு கேட்டு வருவது. உலக வாழ்க்கையை அனுபவித்து வாருங்கள். சிறு தொண்டு பெருவெள்ளம். அது வளர வேண்டும். அதுவே முதல் கடமை. அதுமூலம் சன்மார்க்கக் கருணை பூத்து விடும். அது பின்பு வளரும். வழி விடுங்கள். உலக வாழ்க்கை குடும்ப வாழ்க்கை அனைத்தும் படிப்பினை. கற்றுக்கொள்ளுங்கள்."

Birth is a result of one's past karma that needs to see justice served or done. On the other hand, the birth could also be due to a desire of either the soul to be born for a purpose or the desire of the parents in bringing their lives to closure or rather bringing it to completion. Understandably if the bad deeds outweigh the good deeds, he can be born anywhere anytime. But if the soul was oriented to yearn for, seek and search and gather good merits in all its previous lives; and the good deeds outweigh the bad deeds, and having worked hard on gathering the appropriate knowledge and experience towards realizing its self; but unfortunately had fallen short of time to attain it, or had erred or had fallen in disgrace, it has to be carefully placed in the right family and right scenario or surroundings so that the soul can continue the work that was halted at the moment of death.

Just as Agathiyar told my daughters, Avvai too tells us that birth is rare, both tapas or austerities and charity are the key to open the gates of heaven.

அரிது அரிது மானிடராதல் அரிது;
மானிடராயினும் கூன், குருடு, செவிடு, பேடு நீங்கிப் பிறத்தல் அரிது;
பேடு நீங்கிப் பிறந்த காலையும் ஞானமும் கல்வியும் நயத்தல் அரிது;
ஞானமும் கல்வியும் நயந்த காலையும் தானமும் தவமும் தான் செய்தல் அரிது; தானமும் தவமும் தான் செய்வராயின் வானவர் நாடு வழி திறந்திடுமே.

Ilayaraja has penned a beautiful prayer for his album "Guru Ramana Geetam".  The song is composed and sung by him. In this soul-stirring number, he conveys a sudden urgency, reminding us of the need to turn to God for we might not be given another chance. He reminds us not to waste another moment nor postpone but to seek Bhagawan Ramana this very moment. In the small booklet that accompanied the album, the following brief summary is given.
As the days of his life go by, the composer (Ilaiyaraja) realizes that the best day of all would be the one that brings Ramana's grace. That day would give his life true meaning. But there was no time to waste. Why wait for tomorrow, or today? This very moment is the right one, to take refuge at Ramana's feet and redeem the remaining days of his life.
இன்றொரு  நாள் கழிந்தது என் வாழ் நாளில்
நன்றோரு நாள் சென்றது என்றென்று பார்த்தால்
பகவான் ஸ்ரீ ரமணரை ஓர்த்திருந்த அந்நாளே
என்றொரு நாள் எனக்கு வரும்
அவன் அருள் பெறும் அந்நாளே
எனக்கர்த்தமுள்ள நன்னாளே
பிறந்து வந்ததற்கோர் அர்த்தமுள்ள பொன்னாளாம்
இன்றைய நாள் இனிய பரம்பொருளை பாடிகளித்திருந்தேன்
இது பண்டைய நாள் பாடிய அடியார் காலத்திற்கு ஒப்பாமோ
மெய்பொருள் அறிவதும் அதன்மேல் உறுதியும் அத்தனை எளிதோ
கைப்பொருட்க் கலைவதும் பொய்பொருளில் புரள்வதும் விடுவது கடிதோ
இன்னொரு நாள் கிடைப்பது அரிது மனமே
இன்னொரு நாள் கிடைத்தாலும் இப்பிறப்பாய்
பிறத்தல் அரிது அறிவாய்
இப்பிறப்பாய் பிறந்தாலும்
எவ்வுலகில் பிறப்பாயோ
எவ்வுலகில் பிறந்தாலும் இப்படியோர் உலகிருக்குமோ
உலகில் உண்மை உணர அதற்கேற்ற சூழ் நிலை இருக்குமோ
கோவிலும் தெய்வமும் பூஜைக்கோர் மந்திரமும்
மந்திரம் கற்றுத்தரும் குருமாறும்
இப்படியே கிடைத்திடுமோ நாமறியோம்
ஆதலால் நாளை என்றெண்ணாது  இன்றே இப்பொழுதே இக்கணமே
என் இனிய குருரமணனின் தாள் தஞ்சம் என கொள்வாய்
இன்னும்  எஞ்சிவுள்ள வாழ் நாளை மெய்பொருளில் களிப்பாய்
உன்னையும் மெய்போருளில் கரைத்து கலந்திருப்பாய்

(Listen at https://mio.to/album/Ilayaraja/Guru+Ramana+Geetam+%282004%29)

Do not postpone giving thanks to the divine for this birth that is something very rare to come by. If the Vedanti sees the body as a burden and wants to shed it, the Siddhanti, on the other hand, sees the body as a vehicle to reach Godhead. Cherish and love it. Use it as a tool to attain Godhead.