Thursday 26 March 2020

GUIDES TO GOING WITHIN 2

When Raj Kumar Swami in his introductory speech to an audio CD titled "Sathuragiri Magimai Sitthargal Vallamai" mentioned that his guru Thalayaati Siddhar had reminded him to seek his own song and not adopt another I was surprised and puzzled. Raj Kumar Swami says that at that time he had adopted singing Abhirabhi Pattar's Abhirami Andhadhi. As we are not born saints, hence aren't we to take on a tool and progress on this path? Maybe there is a subtle and inner meaning to all this.

I took on the names of the Siddhas and recited them after Nadi Nool Aasan initiated the recitation of these names during a simple ritual of Nadikku Dhanam or offerings to the Nadi and their authors. Henceforth I held these names close to my heart and recited them daily. 

Reading Thavathiru Rengaraja Desigar's books I picked out a prayer of his, amongst many, and adopted it singing it daily too. 

அகத்தீசா உனது சீடர்களாகிய ஒன்பது கோடி பேரும் என்னை சூழ்ந்திருந்து நான் விரும்பியதெல்லாம் முடித்து வைப்பதோடு மட்டுமல்லாது உன்னுடைய மலையாகிய பொதிகைக்கு என்னை அழைத்துவர என்னை சீடனாக நீ ஏற்றுக்கொள்ள வேண்டும். நான் உய்வதற்கு அருள் புரிய வேண்டும். உனது அருள் பூரணமாக பெற்றல் வேண்டும்.

True enough, this prayer was answered where Tavayogi came as the guru and guide bringing me to Agathiyar's abode. Tavayogi would point out to me the presence of the Siddhas in subtle forms ushering us as we journeyed on this adventure, the very first for me and a revisitation and a walk through memory lane for Tavayogi. 

All the songs in praise of Agathiyar and the Siddhas that I adopted and sang came true too as I traveled the path. For instance the song of praise by Pulastya,

ஐயனே போற்றி போற்றி அருள்பெற்ற தேவே போற்றி
மெய்யனே போற்றி போற்றி மெய்சுடர் அணிந்தாய் போற்றி
கையனே போற்றி போற்றி காசினி முனிவா போற்றி
உய்யனே எனையாட் கொண்ட உந்தியில் உதிக்குந்தேவே
உந்தியிலுதிக்குந்தேவே ஒருபொருள் உகந்தாய் போற்றி
சிந்தையில் நினைந்த போதே திருநாட மிட்டாய் போற்றி
வந்தித்தேன் உந்தன் பாதம் வானமுந் திறந்தாய் போற்றி
அந்தித்தேன் குருவே ஐயா அடியினைப் போற்றி போற்றி

saw the line வந்தித்தேன் உந்தன் பாதம் வானமுந் திறந்தாய் போற்றி materialized when Agathiyar told me the sky had opened both at Kallar and AVM during his Annual Jayanthi and Guru Puja celebrations some years back. Today we all agree that indeed the heavens have opened up and a drawbridge lowered, seeing the numerous visitations and miracles performed by the Siddhas who tell us that it is all their divine play or play of Siddhis or Siddhu Vilaiyaathu. 

After wandering throughout India and spending 8 years in the hills of Sathuragiri, Tavayogi was instructed by Agathiyar to search for a place known by the name Agathiyar Vanam where he shall go into samadhi. Locating it at the foot of the Kallar hills, he set up a shed early 2000. But then Agathiyar diverted his intention to go into samadhi and instead sent him abroad to Malaysia in the footstep of his Paramaguru Jeganatha Swamigal and immediate guru Chitramuthu Adigal. If Agathiyar had not done so, I would not have been destined to meet Tavayogi in Malaysia. So when his time was up, Agathiyar told us that it was Tavayogi's time to go into samadhi. It was time for him to merge with the Siddhas. Tavayogi had wished for it. The Siddhas too wished it. Later Dhanvantri came and told us that Tavayogi would guide us henceforth in the form of Light. 

Tavayogi would sing Ramalinga Adigal's plea for the day to come when he can join their ranks and folds of those who had merged into the Light. He would automatically cry each time he began to sing this song and bring tears to our eyes too. 

இன்று வருமோ நாளைக்கே வருமோ அல்லது மற்றென்று வருமோ அறியேன் எங்கோவே - துன்றுமல வெம்மாயை அற்று வெளிக்குள் வெளி கடந்து சும்மா இருக்கும் சுகம். 

When I repeated this verse to Agathiyar, as he asks me what I wanted, he questioned me in the manner Tavayogi always answers me with another question, asking if I knew its meaning? I told him I only knew how to sing but never understood its meaning. Agathiyar explains to me that when we fully understand ourselves and gain self-realization, when we understand the Ganangal or Gnanas or "body of attendants or can refer to "a company, any assemblage or association of men formed for the attainment of the same aims" or "councils or assemblies convened to discuss matters of religion or other topics", (Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gana), and finally realize that nothing is permanent, at that moment we shall enter and remain in the void of space (Vezhi Kadappathu). That is just "being" or Summa Erupathu. Agathiyar goes on to show the way too. For this to take place we need to strengthen our soul power (and the chakras) or Atma Balam. He reminds us not to engage in anything that disrupts or weakens the chakras. He asks us to maintain our composure and never give in to extreme emotions that are likely to disrupt the chakras' health and oscillation that we have painfully worked to strengthen.

Time and again we are brought to revisit Nakkirar's plea that I took up with Lord Vinayagar to bless us with the gift of being in the presence of our guru Agathiyar in the rare moments of silence and in a secluded place. 

சீர் தரு மூலச் செழுஞ்சுடர் விளக்கே ......
..................................................................................
..................................................................................
தானென வந்து தயக்கந் தீர 
ஆன குருவா யாட் கொண்டருளி  
மோனா ஞான முழுதும் அளித்து
சிற்பரிப் பூரண சிவத்தைக் காண
நற்சிவ நிட்கள நாட்டமுந் தந்து
குருவுஞ் சீடனுங் கூடிக் கலந்து
இருவரும் ஒரு தனியிடந் தனிற் சேர்ந்து
தானந்தமாகித் தற்பர வெளியில்
ஆனந்த போத அறிவைக் கலந்து
புவனத் தொழிலைப் பொய் யென் றுணர்ந்து 
மவுன முத்திரையை மனத்தி லிருத்திப் 
பெண்டு பிள்ளை பண்டு பதார்த்தங் 
கண்டது மாயை கனவெனத் காட்டிப் 
பாச பந்தப் பவக் கடல் நீக்கி  
ஈசனிைணயடியிருத்தி மனத்தே 
நீயே நானாய் நானே நீயாய்க்
காயா புரியைக் கனவெனவுணா்ந்து
எல்லாமுன் செயலென்ேற உணர
நல்லா உன்னருள் நாட்டந் தருவாய்
காரண குருவே கற்பகத் களிேற
வாரணமுகத்து வள்ளலே போற்றி

Agathiyar granted this moment by asking me to seclude myself and go within. He taught me certain pranayama techniques and asked to observe the breath. He went on further, asking me to camp overnight in his room. My days and nights are now spent with him. I was asked not to leave the home unless very critical. With the lockdown that came specifically for me, a comprehensive lockdown has been implemented by the various governments around the globe in the wake of the deadly virus Covid-19. While many who are hooked on to an active lifestyle find it difficult to cope with the lockdown, Mahindren has come out with numerous activities to keep him occupied during these times of forced lockdown. I share his piece with readers. 

Movement Control Order (MCO) Lockdown: Its Challenges and Self Change
What have I had done for these 7 days while staying at home?
- Obviously, work from home
- Purification of the nerves (Nadi Suddhi)
- Basis Exercises to stretch the muscles
- Basic Yoga
- Meditation
- Recite Arutperum Jothi Agaval / Siddhargal praise
- Did small Homam
- Gardening
- Playing with my 1-year baby
All this teaches me a new way of life to understand myself deeper, rather than being robotic (work - work - work). 
Let me brief further about what I gained from all these activities. Work from home - actually this idea gives me a lot of time for me to spend for myself, family and moreover with Agathiyar Appa. Since my work schedule was from 8 am - 5 pm and my role was backend support for physical installation of fiber internet, now that our government had imposed the Movement Control Order (MCO) therefore we can’t continue our installation until further notice and our front-liners too are unable make any sales that generate work for me. Therefore I don’t have much work to do except to follow up on my staff. So this gives more time for me to explore myself further.  
As Shanmugam Anna taught me the purification of the nerves or Nadi Suddhi, I’m practicing it regularly in the mornings at 5.30am, 2 hours before sunrise. This practice gives a boost to my blood circulation, to my brain and the whole body, and I feel so energized the whole day long. This might look like a simple practice but actually, we need to bring more focus during the practice of inhalation and exhalation. If you notice all this while when we breathe in, our stomach will contract and when breathing out, our stomach will expand.  We have forgotten the correct method of breathing, that we learned in our science subjects which is during inhalation, the stomach should expand as our diaphragm relaxes and while we exhale the stomach should contract as our diaphragm is forced upwards. So it has become a challenge for me to change and perfect my breathing. 
Frankly speaking, I have stopped exercising after ending my secondary schooling, 13 years ago. During school time I was an active Kabaddi player. Almost daily there will be a training session and I would involve myself in it every much. After that period of my life, my lifestyle changed as I entered college and working life later. 
As everyone is giving the same reason that they have no time to exercise regularly, I too used that as my reason all this while. So now it’s time for me to go back to stretching my muscles which has become tensed and tight over time. Obviously, I can’t tell “No Time” this time around because Agathiyar Appa has given me all the time. 
After I do my Nadi Suddhi I take rest, then I start the basic exercises from head to toe which helps relieve my muscles. First of all, I must thank my gurus (Thavayogi Appa, Shanmugam Anna, and Master Gowri) who taught me Nadi Suddhi, Basic Exercises, and Yoga. After I complete my exercises I continue with basic Yoga which is Surya Namaskaram. And further, I’m learning to do other Kriya Hatha Yoga postures which Master Gowri taught us earlier and I’m practicing with his video as guidance. After all this is over, I do meditation to conclude my practice and retain the energies within me. Breathing gives me more pranayama and exercising gives me confidence in myself that I’m still healthy and strong, while Yoga pushes me further into doing more difficult postures, fully stretching our body muscles to get into the pose and finally meditation makes me peaceful as I feel all the energies flow in me. 
Tavayogi Appa did Sarva Dosa Nivarana Maha Yagam at Kallar to prevent the natural disasters and Shanmugam Anna took the cue and taught us the same. We have done this at Agathiyar Vanam Malaysia (AVM) which transformed into Agathiyar Tapovanam Malaysia (ATM) and later to Gnanakottam. Since currently there is a spate of Covid-19 virus spreading all over the world and keeping us in fear, I too took the cue from Shanmugam Anna and did Homam on a small scale in my home, asking for Agathiyar Appa's mercy on the current danger that we’re faced with. At the same time, I thank Agathiyar Appa for giving me all the knowledge, a better life and keeping me under his surveillance 24/7. And further to that, I have started to recite the Aruthperum Jothi Agaval and other songs of praise to the Siddhas which was given by Shanmugam Anna with my daily prayers. 
Furthermore, I have started to give more focus on my gardening too. Previously I was just watering them on a daily basis and do some cleaning up once a month. But now I go further to have a conversation with them and take time to notice their growth as well. Now each and every day I can see the growth in them and feel so happy. I have allocated a small space inside and outside my house. For now, I have Banana Tree, Rose, Basil plant, Country Borage (Karpooravalli), Ruta Graveolens (Aruvatham Patchai), Crossandra (Kanakambaram), Rosemary, Aloe Vera (Soddru Kadralai), Justicia Gendarussa, Crepe Jasmine, Pandan Leaf, Pomegranate Tree, Watery Rose Apple Tree, Curry Leave (Kariveppalai), Mint Leaf (Puthina Kirai), Garlic, Pineapple, Sugarcane & Sweet Leaf (Tausi Murungai Keerai).
At last, I get to spend precious time with my little baby Abinaya who is a year-old. Agathiyar appa told us that her naughtiness will burn our Karma and teach us a way to Mukti. And now I’m fully under her control where I occupy my time with her and her playfulness. When I focus on her action I understand that she is like water in the river where she doesn’t keep anything or store anywhere and just goes with the flow until reaching its destiny - the sea. Similarly, she is so playful that she keeps on changing her style, the way she is playing and taking her meals, whenever she feels, and the end goal is she goes to bed full of happiness without any worries about her next day. Agathiyar Appa gives us a full lesson of “Anger Management” through my daughter. She will cry and scream for no reasons and as a parent, we can’t find the reason but lately, I found that this was the Agathiyar Appa's game or Leela to stop my anger. 
About attaining Mukti, we have to practice with full focus, without any worries about its results. We need the patience to understand whatever is happening as it’s all Agathiyar Appa's grace. So I’m going to continue this for the rest of my life. All this is possible only because I made up my mind to do it and at the same time a result of a little fear towards my lovable on Agathiyar Appa too. He gives me a boost to change my entire life 360 degrees and I’m very much thankful to Agathiyar Appa, Thavayogi Appa, Shanmugam Anna, and Master Gowri.