Thursday 10 October 2019

AGATHEESA, MY LOVE

Would you believe if I told you Agathiyar came in our midst to address us during one of our PTS committee meetings just as he had addressed the Tamil Sangam back then? And he stayed for a good half an hour and eventually held hands asking us where would you find him holding hands with his devotees in quiet contemplation? After he left the assistant secretary cheekily asked me if we should add him to our attendance list in the minutes of the meeting?

There were the days and times when we used to sit in awe and amazement as Agathiyar's devotees talked about his miracles and how he came to them. Today we are witness to similar happenings each day. All this was possible because we listened to him. As Bala Chandran spoke in the opening address at our "Agathiyar Geetham" Audio CD launch some years back, if I had shut the door many would not have had the privilege to have the darshan of Agathiyar in his statue, I opened up my home to others to join in on the rituals and puja. Lord Muruga blessed us for this act of making my home his home. When I opened up my heart and my home to other devotees whom Agathiyar sent over, Lord Muruga, the Siddhas and all of the divinity began to move in too. When we at AVM, and later ATM opened our hearts to the cry and pain of the unfortunate poor and hungry souls, Agathiyar came within our souls bringing about compassion and love in us. Today he has asked us, some forcefully, to open our hearts in surrender to the divine. Only he knows what is in store for us after our surrender. 

All these were possible because he opened his heart to us, to let us in. When I came to the Siddha path in 2002 being invited by Agathiyar in my very first Nadi reading, I did not know anything about the Siddhas. But I took up the invitation. The Nadi Nool Aasan Sentilkumar who read my Kaanda Nadi gave me a book "Siddhar Potri Thoguppu", a compilation of names of Siddhas, published by Thaaiveedu Thangarasan MA. He asked me to read it for a start. Sivabalan who accommodated the Nadi Nool Aasan in his home sold me a painting of Agathiyar for RM11. That was the first picture of Agathiyar I worshiped. This picture is now being worshiped by my father-in-law at his home.


I wanted to find out more about the Siddhas and their worship. I recalled seeing individuals collecting donations and funds from pedestrians, shoppers, and passerby in prime areas in the city, to feed the hungry and poor. They used to distribute pamphlets and leaflets carrying the picture of Agathiyar. I too had donated towards their cause. So I found my way to their center in Dengkil. I learned that they solicited donations to send over to their parent body in India Ongarakudil where the hungry were fed. Similarly, they supported many poor families with groceries locally. Their emphasis was, of course, sourcing funds and channeling it to charity. But I wanted to learn about the worship of the Siddhas.

Then I made my way to another center in Batu Caves. Here I was told that they had moved from the worship of the Siddhas to worshipped the Jhoti and sang the songs of Ramalinga Adigal. But I wanted to learn about the worship of the Siddhas.

I made my way to a temple/ashram in Rembau learning that Agathiyar was worshipped there. I did not get to meet anyone who could tell me more as I wanted to learn about the worship of the Siddhas.

I wanted to know how to worship the Siddhas as Agathiyar told me to come to their worship and their path. Hence as these places did not carry out worship of the Siddhas, and they could not satisfy my hunger to learn worship to the Siddhas, I continued worshiping his painting and reciting the names from the booklet I received, on my own in my home. 

The following year when I went to carry out the remedies given in the Nadi in India, I dropped in on the parent body of its affiliate in Dengkil, the Agathiyar Sanmarga Sangam in Turaiyur. I met the man adored most by them - Thavathiru Rengaraja Desigar. I spent considerable time with him alone except for the manager Thiru Nadarajan, my chauffeur Devendran and another aid-in-attendance of the guru. But sadly even as I was driven to meet him, as he was the initiator of the Siddha path in post-independent Malaysia, I came back disappointed and confused as to why he did not bless me when I asked him. Neither did he fill me with or talked about the Siddhas. The talk revolved around my trip, details of which he learned from asking my chauffeur. 

A couple of days later I landed at the doorstep of the man who would become my very first guru in the physical form - Supramania Swami. Today I understand why I did not get a blessing of Ongkarakudil Aasan. I was fated to become Supramania Swami's disciple - the only one he had.








Three years on I meet Tavayogi Thangarsasan Adigal who was in Malaysia to officiate an affiliate Peedham in Batu Caves. With his book the "Siddhar Potri Thoguppu" in my hand and a pamphlet of his that I received from Sentilkumar, I made my way to see him. Tavayogi was on the path of the Siddhas. When I told him that I was asked to come to the path he replied that I had come to the right place, telling me that I shall learn everything from the local affiliate, and initiated me and my wife later that evening. We took him as our guru too. Before he left for India, Agathiyar asks that I get initiated "again". I did as told, immediately after the Nadi reading. Tavayogi then took me directly under his fold.

Meanwhile, I frequented the bookshops picking up books that carried anything and everything about the Siddhas. Slowly I began to compile my own list of names of the Siddhas based on these books and included songs of praise to the Siddhas that I came across in these books. I recited them during my puja that would take some 2 hours, which included lighting the sacred fire or homa and bathing his statue, dressing him up and singing his praise. Many came over to join and learn to worship the Siddhas. I had filled the void that existed, the lack of literature and the ways to conduct rituals in the worship of the Siddhas, something that I had had been searching for too when I came to the path.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dp5hxfCGULlttFkbZo0j-5Et03tqqAw5/view?usp=sharing



When Supramania Swami passed away the following year in 2006, I looked up to Tavayogi to guide me. Tavayogi too has since passed away. I then looked towards Agathiyar solely and his Nadi to guide me. I stopped seeking other gurus and other establishments. When my seeking stopped, the divine seeked me out instead. When my seeking stopped, the divine set up home in my home and moved in with us.

Today after 17 years I still do not know the Siddhas. But I do know that they are with us. Just as Agathiyar says that Tirumular was with the Mughal Emperor Akbar and revived his son, Agathiyar and the Siddhas have shown their presence numerous times. I worshiped him as I did all these years, although since 2010 he has come to us in the form of a bronze statue. As water and air do not have forms but takes on a form according to the vessel it is stored in, Erai who has no form takes a form in this bronze statue. Soon he would take residence in this vessel that is a mortal physical body too.

But if someone was to ask me anything about Agathiyar or the Siddhas I am afraid I do not have anything much to say apart from what we have read in the tons of books on the Siddhas published to cash in on the sudden interest of people on the Siddhas. I do not know if he is male or female, fair skin or dark, short and stout or tall and thin, bald or otherwise, etc. Neither do I care. But I know him. He knows me. He is there in my times of need. That is enough. As Ramalinga Adigal sings, "He can be realized only by that divine experience stretching beyond even the supra-mental consciousness", it is through experience that he shows himself.

தனுகர ணாதிகள் தாங்கடந் தறியுமோர் அநுபவம் ஆகிய அருட்பெருஞ் ஜோதி

As Ramalinga Adigal reveals the Effulgence of the Jhoti, drawing each curtain aside, as depicted at his Satya Jnana Sabai, so do we need to traverse the path peeling each layer or veil or curtain till the Light is seen without any effort on our part.
There are seven curtains that conceal the light within. The first curtain is nothing but the veil which surrounds the individual. This is not only supposed to prevent him from having the inner awakening but it drives him into the materialistic worldly affairs. When this is removed by the opening of the door, there is found a blue curtain representing the veil that hides the very life itself. When this is also removed a green curtain is seen. This is made up of two parts, the inner golden green, and the outerdarkish green. All these three curtains are so strong that they are directing the human beings into the worldly affairs.
The inner four when lifted will lead one to divine experiences. The next inner curtain is red which hides 'the space of miracles'. The curtain behind this is of the golden hue. This conceals the space of reality. There is another inner white curtain hiding the space of the Lord Supreme. The innermost multi-coloured curtain is preventing the experience of the desired enjoyment.
By this descent of  Divinity,  the curtains veiling the greatness and  power of the spiritual light in the human individual gradually begin to fall. 
(Source: "An Introduction to the Philosophy of Ramalinga Swami" by Dr C. Srinivasan, Ilakkia Nilayam, Trichy, 1968)
Similarly, I would not know about my purpose in coming here if he did not tell me. Neither would I understand my experiences and the internal changes taking place within if he had not explained. He dictated to me what was to be my call of duty henceforth, often calling me over to have his Aasi Nadi read. He has kept me and my family well. He has come to the aid of us many times. He did not expect anything from us except our love and devotion and surrender to him. To surrender to him is to not worry about anything else anymore. 

But I find it difficult to believe that the divine has come down within our reach as I know pretty well that I do not deserve even an inch of his grace. Carrying so many "malams" or dirt in me, yet he came to me. Filling my thoughts with all kinds of rubbish yet he stood in my thoughts firmly. Speaking ill of others yet he stood and watched over me. Today I understand that he only cares for our souls, not our behavior, habit nor characteristics. He only saw our souls. He has come to work on our souls eradicating the three malams, karmam, anavam, and maya. For that to happen, we need to let him in.

சபை எனதுளமெனத் தானமர்ந் தெனக்கே அபய மளித்ததோர் அருட்பெருஞ் ஜோதி

Dr C. Srinivasan retraces Ramalinga Adigal's footsteps.
He says that he has tasted the bliss of all the sixteen stages contemplated by the Vedas, by the permutation and combination of the four paths, such as Devotion  (Sariyai), Action (Kriyai), Meditation (Yogam), and Wisdom (Jnanam), one after another and attained higher and truer perfection with the aid of the Supreme Grace, besides the ultimate goal of all the six heavenly avenues including Vedantham and Siddhantham, leading to Divinity. He has further given an exposition of his admittance into Sanmargam by the bounteous and boundless descent of the auspicious Supreme Being in him which has resulted in his immortality.
சரியை நிலை நான்கும்
ஒரு கிரியை நிலை நான்கும்
தனி யோக நிலை நான்கும்
தனித்தனி கண்டறிந்தேன்
உரிய சிவ ஞான நிலை நான்கும்
அருள் ஒளியால் ஒன்றொன்றா அறிந்தேன்
மேல் உண்மை நிலை பெற்றேன்
அரிய சிவ சித்தாந்த வேதாந்த முதலாம்
ஆறந்த நிலை அறிந்தேன்
அப்பால் நின் றோங்கும்
பெரிய சிவ அனுபவத்தால் சமரச சன்மார்க்கம்
பெற்றேன் இங் கிறவாமை உற்றேன் காண் தோழி.

Similarly, Agathiyar showed us Sariyai, Kriyai, Yogam and today we stand to wait to receive his Jnana, having brought us to Sanmargam. As Dr. C. Srinivasan says of Ramalinga Adigal, "He has pointed out that it is a progressive evolution of the speck of light manifested in the human-being into the greatest light-the Supreme Grace Light", so has Agathiyar brought us into the presence of the divine light. As Ramalinga Adigal desired to "develop the greatest fire from the smallest spark of a flame", we had fed the fire in the stomach with fuel from the food we have been taking for years, with following austerities, the heat generated, Tava Kanal, has cleared the path for the dragon or serpent that remained coiled up and asleep in its den, to rise and make its way easily to the trove of his master where it spits out its venom now turn to ambrosia for the soul and body to feed on. The soul burns brightly and the body shines in luminosity, fueled by this ambrosia. Ramalinga sings on this state, "The supremely sweet Lord dancing in the arena of pure knowledge and wisdom is in me in a state of blissful ambrosia". What else can we ask for?

Just as Dr. C. Srinivasan wrote of Ramalinga Adigal's journey of personal experience and "how he was picked up by God, how he was tried, how he stood the test, how the Light of Grace was infused in him and finally how he became blazed with the Supreme Grace  Light", we too have been picked up by Agathiyar, tried and tested, his grace light infused in us so that we too shall one day stay ablaze in the Supreme Light.

Dr. C. Srinivasan writes that "To understand that the human soul is several million times radiant as the sun and that it has been veiled for generations together, is by itself enlightenment in this theory of light or ஒளிநெறி"

Ramalinga expounds that only God would know what he experienced, "சந்நிதியிற் சென்று நான் பெற்ற பேறது சாமி யறிவாரடி."

How can we keep these experiences within and not share it with others? When many chose to not reveal God's grace working in and through them, Ramalinga beats the drums and blows the horn at his achievement and God's grace in his songs.

"The Swami proclaims in ecstatic delight," writes Dr. C. Srinivasan, "Blaze with the drum that I have become one with the Supreme Blaze of Grace; Blaze that I have acquired the kingdom of Grace Supreme".

அருட்சோதி ஆனேன் என்று அறையப்பா முரசு
அருளாட்சி பெற்றேன் என்று அறையப்பா முரசு
மருட்சார்பு தீர்ந்தேன் என்று அறையப்பா முரசு
மரணந்த விர்ந்தேன் என்று அறையப்பா முரசு.

Just as the battle cry and eventual victory cry is let out amongst the beat of the drums and the blow of the horns upon the conquest of a domain we too eagerly await that day when we can proudly blow the horns and beat the drum at having fought the neverending war of taking birth and rebirth. Would not this amount to boasting about one's feat or achievement or blowing up one's ego? One might think that Ramalinga Adigal was full of egoism or boasting by revealing, shouting and crying out to the world his achievements. But how else is he supposed to bring everyone to his fold, to his Sanmargam if he is to keep all the blessings and gifts that Erai had showered on him under wraps? Many before him have kept many things a secret and out of bounds to new seekers and adepts. We would have to go through austerities and hardship to even come close to knowing God. Losing interest after some years, these seekers then move away seeking greener pastures or seeking those who would offer immediate access to God's kingdom. Many tell us that it is all possible but never shed a clue on how it is to be achieved. Many tell us that it's all there in our sacred texts and scriptures but leave it at that. Some say its all there, go look it up. These were the frustrations I went through too during my years of reading and seeking before there came a 14-year gap, a period of hibernation and before I came to the Siddha path. Coming to the Siddhas, they took me by the hand and revealed all that I needed to know, not by discourses but through gaining experiences. The only pre-condition laid to us by Tavayogi was that our apprenticeship would take some 12 long years. This was to test and see how many a patient enough to wait. 

Following the Siddhas, Ramalinga Adigal revealed and shared his experiences with whoever was willing to listen. He broke the silence. He revealed everything he knew and had experienced, but yet very few came, many we disinterested in his achievements. Several others challenged him and opposed his teachings that were solely based on his experiences. How can another shoot down someone's experience? B. Kamalakkannan writes in his "Footsteps of Saint Ramalingam", Vanathi Pathippakam, 2014, the sadness Ramalinga Adigal went through in his last years finally giving up on the society around him. I strongly believe he came too early for his time. If he had come now we would all have benefited directly. But fear not if what is mentioned by Kamalakkannan is true Ramalingam will make a comeback in 2024.

Ramalinga Adigal had to face so many enemies while bringing the word of the good Lord to his people. The Saivites who seemed agitated and feared the popularity of Ramalinga Adigal declared war against him using and hiding behind Arumuga Navalar of Ceylon instigated him to protest against the Arutpa, the divine songs or revelation by Ramalinga Adigal that was gaining a popular hold among the Tamils, and that was frequently sang in the temples, uprooting and unsaddling the position of Othuvar's and their Thevaram that was the norm earlier. Arumuga Navalar tried to defame Ramalinga Adigal through his writings. Another opponent Kadiraivel Pillai, continued the attacked even after Adigal's disappearance. Kamalakkannan writes that sadly none of Adigal's followers came to his defense. Thozhuvur Velayudham Mudaliar is said to have had the green eye for Kalpatu Aiya seen as a favourite of Adigal having given him many responsibilities. His miseries did not end there. Having moved to Vadalur from Chennai he had to face some who were instigated to defame him. As the attack from the Saivites continued, some brought the dead bodies and carcasses and placed it in his presence, challenging him to bring the dead back to life. Some lodged complains that Adigal had hoarded gold bars. Some set fire to sheds during the inauguration of the Satya Gnana Sabai. Adigal sings that he was poisoned too. The village headman of Methukuppam invited Adigal to camp in his village to prevent further harassment and danger to the life of Adigal.

Many saints of the past had been put through the death row only to be saved by the divine at the eleventh hour bringing fame to them. So indeed there was good that came out of all the troubles they faced, and eventually, we were made to understand that it is all God's Lila or play. It is a test for both the true disciple and genuine gurus. 

Agathiyar has come to share his grievances with us. He tells us his devotees are caught in the illusion and the entrapment of Maya. If Ramalinga Adigal calls it MaMayai, Manikavasagar describes Maya has having 60,000,000 (sixty million) powers or forms or manifestations. When he is dishing out miracles and cures here, right before their eyes, many are looking elsewhere. Many are looking out to others and their venues in amazement not realizing that all that they seek is already within their grasp too in their own hearts and homes. When he is here to grant all their desires many are seeking elsewhere for instant rewards and gifts, recognition and fame, riches and wealth. When he is here to heal and alleviate pain and suffering, many seek elsewhere spending their life savings. Agathiyar has told us to walk tall, never submit to anything or anyone, except to love. He does not want us to beg for alms, treasures or gifts. What is it that others can gift us, that Agathiyar cannot, I ask myself? Agathiyar will have your interest in mind when he gifts you with something, scanning through your past to see if you deserve it and only give it to you if he is pretty sure that it does not harm you. He monitors our progress so that we are safely brought out from the dangers of the practices or brought out of the entanglement that pursues the rewards and gifts. Others might give you quick and immediate relief and flee, leaving you to fend for yourself or manage the energy as a result of the initiation or rising of the power, without a master's further guidance.

How long are we going to look towards another to uplift us spiritually? Would it rather not be wise and proper and logical to seek the one that can remove all veils and grant the Light rather than depend on agents? He wants each man to take responsibility for his life and seek the divine and bring it within his heart and home. There is no easy way or another option. One has to begin to start worshiping the Siddhas. One has to communicate with Erai directly. Then he comes at the least expected moments and in the least expected ways.

I was not a writer. But he made me write and today I know pretty well that these are not my writings. He points me to the necessary references too. I am not talented to write nor trained to write, but it is happening due to his grace, kindness, and compassion. After I publish each post I go to him in amazement and thank him for the subject, content, phrases, and power of his vocabulary. I am amazed too at his writings that I read it again and again for its knowledge and learning for me too. What can I say, but remain mute seeing him play chess or Lila using us as chess pieces?

தன்னுரு என்னுறு தன்னுரை என்னுரை என்ன இயற்றிய என்தனித் தந்தையே