Sunday 3 October 2021

MAGICAL MOMENTS 2

Later in 2005 after I was shown my second guru who was on the path of the Siddha, I left for India again right behind his heels a month after his departure back to Kallar ashram. He had me literally run behind his heels in the jungles and hills as he brought me on a practical tour of the many abodes of the Siddhas. The Siddhas this time around had Tavayogi accompany me to their land of the Siddhas bringing me the experience of a lifetime. 

23rd Sept 2005 - “Only now our actual journey begins”, said Tavayogi with a big grin on his face and a twinkle in his eyes, as we left on the second leg of our tour. We were headed for Agasthiyampalli in Vedharanyam, Pothigai, Courtallam, and Palani as instructed in my Nadi. He was just as excited as I was too. 

True to what he said, the Siddhas showed themselves, thanks to Tavayogi.

24th Sept 2005 - At 6.00 am Tavayogi and I left Trichy for Vedharanyam. We reached Agastiyampalli, Vedharanyam at 10.30 am. A temple priest who was sitting with two people at the entrance of the temple, on seeing us alight from the car, came forward to usher us into the temple grounds. He took us straight to Sage Agathiyar’s shrine. This shrine was on the left of the entrance and was facing the main temple of Lord Siva. He lighted camphor and showed the flame. Tavayogi and I sat on the floor. Tavayogi started singing a hymn. The priests interrupted him, asking us to go around the temple ground and then to the main temple first. He insisted we prayed at Lord Siva’s shrine first as he was going away to another temple to conduct prayers. He gave instructions on how to go around the temple grounds. Tavayogi told me, "Let us oblige him". Tavayogi and I came round the temple grounds as the priests had instructed. We stepped into Lord Siva’s shrine where the priests were waiting for us. He showed the flame. He explained that this was the very temple where Sage Agathiyar pressed his thumb into the ground to balance the earth that had tilted due to the Devas, Gods, and Goddesses converging in the Himalayas for Lord Siva-Goddess Parvathy’s wedding. We came back to Sage Agathiyar’s shrine. Tavayogi picked up singing the hymns from where he had left. I continued with the Potri songs as usual. As I started reciting the ‘pranavam’-‘AUM’ at Sage Agathiyar’s shrine I could hear and feel the ‘pranavam’ reverberate, and bounce off the granite walls. I felt a cool breeze sweep over me even as I was sweating away at the shrine. As I uttered the last line of the 'Potri' song, ‘OM MAA SIDDHARGALE POTRI’ I broke down in tears. I cried and cried. I asked Sage Agathiyar to open his eyes and see me. He did not respond. In the Nadi prediction, Sage Agathiyar had promised that he would look at me when I came here. I shut my eyes as I wept. I opened my eyes after some time, Tavayogi who was earlier seated opposite me was not there anymore. I turned towards the entrance. He had moved to the open and was standing there. As I got up he ushered me to his side and told me, Sage Agathiyar had opened his eyes twice. “There is the aroma of sandalwood in the air too”, he added. He asked that I stand at the same spot he had stood. “Concentrate looking at the sage's eyes”, he said. I peered at the granite statue of Sage Agathiyar but I could hardly make out his face much less see him open and close his eyes. The shrine was dark. I could sense Tavayogi’s disappointment that I could not see the Sage open his eyes. This I knew from the tone of his voice when he consoled me, “Never mind, son. Let us snap some photographs, shall we?” I entered Sage Agathiyar’s shrine again and was about to sit when Tavayogi motioned me to sit with Sage Agathiyar in the inner sanctum sanctorum saying, “Go in and sit at Sage Agathiyar’s feet at the inner sanctum. He is our father. Who dares object?” That’s when Tavayogi throws his shawl over to me asking me to lay it on the floor to sit on as the floor had oil spills. As I laid his shawl and sat, I glanced at Sage Agathiyar’s face and what do I see? The sage is observing me with an eye open. I looked hard not believing. Only a moment ago I had seen him with both eyes shut. The eyes were engraved into the granite and I was sure they were engraved shut as I entered his shrine this morning. I was overcome with joy seeing Sage Agathiyar look at me and I called out to Tavayogi, “Swami…”. Even before I could complete my sentence Tavayogi understood and told me, “Right!, he has seen you, has he, come!, They will show (themselves) you only for a moment.” Even as I came out from his shrine the sage was looking at me with one eye shut, grinning away. We left Agastiyampalli at 11.15 am. Tavayogi tells me it has been ten years since he came to Agastiyampalli. I was convinced the vision I had was possible only with the help that I got from my guru Tavayogi Thangarasan Adigal. Only after he had thrown his shawl over to me to sit on did this miracle take place.

I realized that the Siddhas create an atmosphere for their devotees to worship or meditate in peace too.

We proceeded to Breehadeshwarar temple at 3.00 pm. As the temples in India are closed from 1.00 pm to 4.00 pm, Tavayogi took the opportunity to take a nap in front of the huge Nandi at the temple grounds while I went around to snap some photos of the temple. I walked up the flight of steps to Lord Dhashina Murthi’s shrine. Then I walked to the back of the temple grounds where Sage Karuvurar’s shrine was located. The caretaker who was cleaning the oil lamps got up, called me in, lighted the camphor, showed the flame, and gave me the sacred ash. I came back to the spot Tavayogi was napping. He invited me to share the shawl that he had spread on the ground to lie down. At 4.00 pm when the temple doors were opened to the public, Tavayogi went straight to Sage Karuvurar’s shrine, and the same man who attended to me earlier attended to Tavayogi too. Tavayogi sat at the shrine in meditation. I followed suit. Some pilgrims who had taken shelter away from the scorching sun at Sage Karuvurar’s shrine were conversing loudly. The caretaker drove them away saying there were people meditating, referring to us, creating a peaceful environment for us to meditate.

The Siddhas lead us to their abodes, show directions, and watch us too.

26th Sept 2005 - I woke up early as usual and came out of the cave to realize that we were next to a huge waterfall and a lake. In the early morning sunlight, I could make out some movements in the surrounding jungles. I sat and watched the day begin. As the day dawned and there was more light, I noticed it was monkeys that had been perching on the cliffs and trees. Tavayogi and Kathi woke up shortly. Supramaniam and the caretaker lady turned up early to prepare tea for us. We took our bath at the falls under the watchful eyes of Tavayogi. He cautioned us to be careful as the rocks were slippery and asked that we hold on to the railings that had been put up. I washed and dried my clothes again! After drying my clothes I came up the steps to the cave. I was taken aback to see a sadhu squatting at the entrance to the cave and having tea. He resembled the photograph of Sri La Sri Pundi Mahaan Aatru Swami who was one of Supramania Swami's gurus. He had long matted hair and was beaming a smile. He invited me in. I gestured Vanakam to him and sat down beside him. I had my tea. He remains quiet as Tavayogi talked with the caretakers. This sadhu then tells me he would be at the temple below and left the cave. Tavayogi suggested we go over to Dhashina Murthi’s and Saint Ramalingam’s (Vallalar) cave. He asked me to get the blessings of the elderly woman and give a small contribution to her which I did. As we came down the slopes of the mountain Kathi narrated a dream that he had when asleep in Sage Agathiyar’s cave the night before. He had seen three figures pulling and tugging him and he was crying out Sage Agathiyar’s name. Tavayogi explained that it was Sage Agathiyar, his wife Lobamuthirai, and Sage Visvamitra that Kathi saw and they were pulling him into the path of Sidhas. We came down the hill to Shenbaga Devi Amman temple. I saw the sadhu again. He was at the temple just as he had promised. I told him I was going to the caves and asked if he would like to follow. He jumped down from his seat immediately and led the way to Lord Dhashina Murthi’s cave. He opened up the grilled gates to the cave entrance for us. He lighted the oil lamp inside the cave. The sadhu having lighted the place for us went out and sat on a rock outside the cave. We entered the cave which was large enough to allow us to stand.  What a surprise I had. There were statues of Sage Agathiyar, his wife Lobamuthirai, and Sage Visvamitra in this cave! These were the sages Kathi had seen in his dream. In the inner chamber was a statue of Lord Dhashina Murthi. We sat in meditation for a while.

Before we left Courtallam Tavayogi took us to a Sivan temple, Lord Kutralanathar in town. At the Siva temple was a shrine for Sage Agathiyar. Tavayogi narrated an incident that took place here during his travels through India. He was at Sage Agathiyar’s shrine at the spot we stood today. He could hear a melodious hymn. On tracing the source of that hymn, he chanced upon Somasundareswarar Swami who was standing at a shrine of Lord Siva.  Later Tavayogi met Somasundareswara Swami often at Shenbaga Devi Amman temple. Sage Agathiyar’s cave and the surrounding caves were maintained by Somasundareswara Swami until his demise. We sat at Sage Agathiyar’s shrine and Tavayogi started singing hymns. Tavayogi and Kathi were seated to my right. There was a pillar that obstructed my view of them. Tavayogi broke down as he sang Saint Ramalingam’s ‘Indru varumoh naalaiku varumoh allathu mathendru varumoh’. That’s when I thought I saw Sage Agathiyar open and shut both his eyes. I got up to move closer, to get a better view and to confirm what I had seen. True enough there was Sage Agathiyar opening and closing, both his eyes, which were human. Back at Agastiyampalli, the sculptured granite figure of the sage had both eyes sculptured closed. But as I left his shrine his left eye was wide open watching me. At Courtallam Sage's eyes were sculptured wide open. It was human eyes that were watching me. I stood still, amazed, my sight fixed on the sage's eyes. I called Kathi over to have a look too. Each time the sage opened and closed his eyes I pointed out to Kathi. But Kathi was silent. That’s when Tavayogi called out to us saying, “You have seen, have you? Come on let us leave.”

Palani amazed me again, sending me into a daze.

This was the second time I was invited to Palani by Sage Agathiyar through the Nadi reading. At 5.00 in the morning, we started for the Palani temple. The streets were quiet. Shops were still closed. We walked from the hotel in town to the temple on the hillock. We had to wait in the queue, as the temple was still closed. At 6.00 am we were allowed to enter. We stood in front of Palani Andavar and offered our prayers. I still can’t recall what I saw here just as I can’t recall the first time I was in this temple in 2003. We went down some steps to the open and crossed over to another temple structure that housed Sage Bhogar’s shrine. 

Now I was truly puzzled. In 2003 I had stepped into Bhogar's samadhi that was immediately at the back of the Murugan sannadhi. Although I was stripped of my energy and most likely my ego too at the foot of the climb in 2003, was completely depleted of my energy once I arrived at the mountain top and knocked out, and was in a daze henceforth upon entering the premises of Lord Murugan's sannadhi and had no recollection of what I saw after that, but I remember clearly that when I came to my senses after the priest stood before me and returned my bag of abhisegam and puja items adding on the sandal paste from that morning's abhisegam, I had hardly walked a few steps where there was a door and a dark corridor. Another few steps took me to a door on the right where I entered Bhogar's samadhi! 

But now this time around we went down some steps to the open and crossed over to another temple structure that housed Sage Bhogar’s shrine! It blows my mind to think how was this possible?

Palani had puzzled me earlier in 2003. I wanted some answers then. Now it was clear to me. This was definitely not the route I took to Sage Bhogar’s shrine in 2003. In my earlier visit, I walked along a passage from Palani Andavar’s shrine to Sage Bhogar’s shrine. There was no necessity to go into the open air. The shrine walls now were beautifully painted with murals depicting episodes from Bhogar’s life in color. In 2003 there were no paintings on the wall either.

I was lead into yet another play of his. The mischievous Lord Murugan had definitely something up his sleeves.

Tavayogi sat along the corridor outside Sage Bhogar's shrine in meditation. I wept in silence. As I opened my eyes I saw Kathi was in tears too. When Tavayogi came out of meditation we entered Sage  Bhogar’s shrine. There were four temple priests when we stepped into the chamber. 

Does the number ring a bell?

One of them showed the flame in front of the Maragatha Lingam and another figurine of Goddess Bhuvaneswari that Sage  Bhogar had worshipped, both placed on a raised dais. The priests then pointed out the opening where Sage Bhogar had entered and is still believed to be. They narrated the history of the temple to Tavayogi and Kathi. I cried again here. After gaining control of myself, I moved to a spot in the room to sit for a while as the three priests continued filling in Tavayogi and Kathi on the temple's history. The fourth priest who was very much younger than the rest was standing in attendance observing me and the others, not uttering a word. As we came out of this chamber, this young priest intercepted us at the corridor away from the others. He passed a tumbler that he was holding to Tavayogi who was right in front, saying, Abhisega Paal. 

It happened again!

I told myself, “My God it was happening again. I am being given the Abhisega Paal again.” I was given a tumbler of milk on my visit here in 2003. Today I was receiving it again. Tavayogi drank a portion and passed the tumbler to Kathi who was behind him. Kathi drank a portion and in turn passed the tumbler to me. I emptied the tumbler and gratefully handed it over to the priests who look pleased.[19] Surprisingly no one questioned him nor did he say anything further. Tavayogi, Kathi, and I did not talk about that incident. As we came down the steps into the open again, Tavayogi stopped and turned back to look at me. He questioned me, “What is it, my son”. I went up to him and placed my head on his chest. Tears quelled in my eyes. He had this twinkle in his eyes and gave me a broad smile. I remained silent as we walked around the temple grounds. We left the temple premises. 

Returning from India I felt reenergized and had the drive to engage even deeper into my home worship of the Siddhas. With subsequent visits by Tavayogi to Malaysia in 2007, 2008, and 2010, I was shown the rituals and led into yoga asanas and pranayama. Finally, my family and I graduated in this worship when Tavayogi invited us to conduct the puja at his ashram on our visit in 2013. In 2016, when he visited Malaysia last he was delighted to see the youngsters who frequented our puja at AVM take up the worship too. His ambition to see the worship of Siddhas thrive on the soils of Malaysia had borne fruit he told us later.

First, they come to show us that they are indeed around amongst us. If we choose to believe in these miracles, they come to keep us company and guide us further through their Aasi Nadi and the gurus in physical form. Just as the Buddhist monks painstakingly create a Mandala only to destroy it after puja, Agathiyar who build up the group slowly over the years beginning in 2013 had it brought down in 2019. He was teaching us now to become unattached to all things even the good too. If he had let it be we would most likely have taken on the karma of serving others and would have lived off the merits of our good deeds in doing charity and puja if we had done it with an ego that we did it rather than surrender to the fact that he did it.

Just as Supramania Swami told me that our efforts never go to waste, and just as a reader wrote to me after reading my post on revisiting kallar ashram.
I can feel the positive vibrations of such anadanam, positive affirmations, the beautiful hymns you all praised on our lord.....now the physical status may be like this....cosmos has recorded...still is there....

indeed I have come to realize that the cosmos has recorded all our ventures. It has come to be registered as a dream, a movie in celluloid, a play that was staged all recorded both in history and the sacred archives of theirs. Released from the hold of the merits from all our efforts, with this newfound freedom there comes an end to delusion. Self-knowledge arises leading to freedom from all of the earthbound shackles while still alive. Indeed it is true that, 

"Through the company of the wise Sage, there arises non-attachment. From non-attachment comes freedom from delusion. Where there is freedom from delusion, there is abidance in Self-knowledge, which leads to freedom while alive."