Tuesday 19 May 2020

BATHING IN BLISS 1

I saw the Nadi when I was 43 moving on 44. When Agathiyar told me to build a temple for him in my very first Nadi reading I was elated. My ego expanded when I assumed that I was a chosen one to do it. Immediately the young Sivabalan in his twenties brought me down to the real world. He told me indirectly that I was not special since Agathiyar had put forth the requests to some fifty-odd people who came to seek the Nadi earlier. Sivabalan should know for his uncle Sivamani Ayya had been bringing in Nadi readers from India. Sivabalan continued this tradition. He added that sadly none of them took up the venture. The young lad had a piece of advice for me. He asked me to do it at the opportune time.

When I sent Tavayogi, who took up my invitation to come over to my humble home in 2005, back to his residence at Batu Caves, I was again elated at having a Yogi step into my home. I had never encountered a Turavi, Sadhu, Saint, or Yogi except when they were guests at the temples I frequented. But my joy was short-lived for Tavayogi shot me down when I began to show my appreciation to him for coming over. He told me straight to my face that I was living in Maya and asked me not to fall for the Kavi or safron clothed ones like him. He jolted me out of my make-believe world and broke the perception I had of his kind. The rest of the journey back to his temporary place of residence in Malaysia took place in silence. 

When I was adorning the nine gems as a ring around my finger and a rasamani bead he shot me again telling me "We do not need them." The comment came shortly after Suresh from Tiruvannamalai showed Tavayogi a Rudraksha bead and enquired if he could wear it. He gave him his consent but after Suresh left Tavayogi turned to me and told me we did not need the Rudraksha too.

This was how the Siddhas came to instruct me as I journeyed on their path. I took all their advice positively or when they choose to remain silent, telling myself that they know better. Indeed I realize these days that they know best even if their advice counters our wishes. Once we come to Agathiyar we realize that he only has our best interest at heart when he listens and deals with our askings. Our perspective of life is limited while his is broad and wide. We cannot possibly see beyond the hill or around the corner. He sees the danger awaiting us around the corner and the past, present, and future. Agathiyar had told us that Vallal or Ramalinga Adigal shall come to guide us too.

வள்ளலும் வருவார். அவன் ஞானக் குழந்தை. ஆகையால் யாம் போகும் இடம் தோரும் அவன் என்னோடு வருவான். உனது பயற்சியில் அவனும் உமக்கு வழி நடுத்துவான்.

The Siddhas having asks me to come to their path, started me on devotion to them by reciting their names. This might be boring stuff to others, but I persevered each day reciting the names of the numerous Siddhas that were alien to me and whom I hardly knew. Meanwhile, I did some homework on them. I began to compile a fresh list of names as I came across more Siddhas mentioned in the books I read. I included songs of praise to the Siddhas too. This became a compendium of Songs in Praise of the Siddhas, available at https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dp5hxfCGULlttFkbZo0j-5Et03tqqAw5/view?usp=sharing

Then in 2007, Tavayogi introduced me to lighting the Homa in my home, instructing me to purchase items that he assured me were easily available at the local grocery stores. He asked to sanctify the fire ritual with the recitation of the names of these Siddhas. As he made it pretty simple, I took up the tasks without further delay. Later when he came over to Malaysia, back then in 2010, he showed me the proper way to carry out a Homa, including placing the Purnakumbam. Agathiyar who had come as a bronze statue several months earlier was bathed in the holy water from this vessel as instructed by the sage. Both Agathiyar through the medium of the Nadi, and Tavayogi over the phone or whenever he visited Malaysia, complimented each other by giving me instructions throughout the journey.

Agathiyar brought over many new faces to my home Agathiyar Vanam (AVM) introducing them to the worship of the Siddhas by having them watch and participate in the puja. Then when he brought the numbers in, we formed Amudha Surabhi to carry out charity that included feeding the hungry at the charity homes, on the streets, in temple grounds, etc. Later with many samaritans coming forward to donate and contribute, we ventured into providing groceries to these charity homes and the poor. He gave us the confidence to bring our devotion that was going on regularly within the four walls of AVM into the open, and into the numerous temples too, bringing Siddhas worship to the public's attention. He had me write in this blog and upload the videos of the events we held on YouTube and other social media too. We were all made tools to execute his mission. When he thought that was time we moved up the spiritual ladder he brought us back into the confines of our homes, asking us to go within and observe the breath. For those not used to staying aloft from worldly affairs, he forced them to stay indoors and to stay at home, with the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic. The Siddhas kept giving us instructions to further our practice and understanding of the path, always coming to ask if we were doing what was told and reminding us of the need in placing concerted effort towards achieving the goal set by them. 

We are told that we are here for the experiences, be they good or bad. Even the worst tragedies are a god-sent experience, meant to make us stronger we are told. Even if he was to throw us into the dungeon it is for our own good for we would come out of it even stronger. Surrender is acceptance to the situation on hand. This is sagippu tanmai or being tolerant. Agathiyar is testing and teaching me currently too, to be tolerant and accepting rather than get agitated and angry. Gathering lessons and wisdom from these external experiences we journey within to the state of Gnana. Here the internal experiences begin to take place. These experiences shall have an impact on us transforming us drastically, both physically and mentally. The gross physical body is shed and replaced with finer bodies. Our perspective of life changes with a newer understanding. All logic fails us. All our acquired bookish knowledge is shredded to pieces. When the physical eyes remain open it only sees illusions or maya; when closed that's existence. As Agathiyar declares, "I am existence, I remain present from time immemorial until the present moment and forever on", so shall we be IT.

A new dawn begins. We are reborn. The man who was dead to his existence is resurrected. Only now he becomes alive. He connects with the soul of fellow humans, animals, and plants and all of creation and nature. He sees the same energy or prana traverse through him and all of God's creation. He has stepped into his Pranava Deham. He marches forward tirelessly placing the efforts towards the attainment of the Gnana Deham or Oli Deham. Attaining Oli Deham he is one with the other Siddhas.

Its all a dream said Bharathi. The horizon is an illusion and so is everything else says the scientist, an idea placed before us by our saints including Adi Sankara. Everything dissolves into IT; a state of sunyam or void or silence. When we go within its silence is heard. Mere or sheer existence in its presence is known. No labels, forms nor sound. Just existence. This is the state mentioned by Ramalinga Adigal and explained by Agathiyar in the formers song,

"இன்று வருமோ நாளைக்கே வருமோ அல்லது மற்றென்று வருமோ அறியேன் எங்கோவே - துன்றுமல வெம்மாயை அற்று வெளிக்குள் வெளி கடந்து சும்மா இருக்கும் சுகம்."

"வெளிக்குள் வெளி கடந்து" அப்பொருள் அறிவாயா? உன்னை நீ முழுதும் அறிந்து உன்னைச் சுற்றி இருக்கும் கணங்கள் அறிந்து எதுவும் நிலை அற்றது என்று நீ அறியும் அத்தருணம் வெளிக்குள் நீயே வெளி கடப்பாய். அத்தருணமே சும்மா இருப்பது.

It has been an unimaginable journey for me, never dreamed of. To whom or what do I owe this honor and blessings. As Vinthamaray mentions in the video clip we did for the launch of "Agathiyar Geetham", we owe it to Agathiyar. As the question is put forth in the first track of this Audio Cd album, we are asking Agathiyar each day, "Who are you, please tell us."


For the purpose of his play or lila, that is to gain experience we take on roles in the stage of his play. Having faith and trust in him and placing the required effort in seeing his plan through gives us peace and satisfaction and brings us to a state of bliss. Driven by our worldly desires we tend to add on to our sufferings and pain bringing us further and further from our true goal. Although he too places pain and suffering on our path it helps hasten the journey to attaining bliss.