Thursday 7 October 2021

APPRECIATE WHAT YOU GOT

How does each of us comprehend Agathiyar's explanation of the Udal, Uyir, and Atma? Unless one has the prior experience we cannot possibly comprehend, fit the facts, understand anything for that matter. What appears absurd and ridiculous for a start makes sense at the end. When Tavayogi told me Agathiyar came and spoke to him the night I arrived at his Kallar ashram, I looked at him blank. I could not help it as the thought went through me mind if he was pulling a fast one? Today after similar encounters and experiences I cannot deny that the Siddhas are walking among us. 

After I repeatedly went through Agathiyar's memo and tried to comprehend it I began to see a clear connection with what I had gone through on my rather insignificant small short journey of discovery. Agathiyar could not have timed it better. He had us move from being a client of God when we have issues in life, a patient of his when we are ill, and a spectator at his fests, to take up rituals. In rituals, we addressed him directly, without any mediators, we established contact with him, and we entertained him to a feast. Soon we practiced and followed certain yoga practices, that the Siddhas did to keep themselves hale and healthy, both in body and mind. Bringing us to Gnana he showed us that every single thing has its role to play in this world of ours. Every single event expands our consciousness by giving us experience and divine knowledge. So did all the stages that we passed through on this journey. With this wisdom as we look back on the path we traveled it seems entirely different now.

Now when I revisit my journey I have begun to see everything that took place from a different perspective. I am beginning to see everything anew. Now I understand why Supramania Swami sat before Yogi Ramsuratkumar's samadhi watching the Pradosa abhisegam for one solid hour without even moving an inch or an eyelid. A Siddha who came by his home had stopped his 40-year desire to build a temple asking him, "Why are you who are in the Gnana Margam going back to Bhakti?" So what did this Gnani see in this ritual? Similarly, when Swami Vishnudevananda writes on his first encounter with his master Swami Sivananda, in "My Years With The Master" at http://www.sivanandaonline.org, he describes the following.

Before leaving, I went down the Ganga where it was the custom of the Ashram to do Aarati (waving of lights) every evening. All the devotees and inmates of the Ashram assembled by the banks of the Ganga to watch Master perform this evening worship. I was skeptical. I was of scientific temperament and knew that a river is only water, H2O - imagine worshipping H20!! But as I stood there and watched Master waving the lights, I saw the river become a mass of flowing lights. At that instant, the river assumed a divine flow, a manifestation of the Grace of the Lord. Master turned and looked at me and in my mind, I heard his message, “God pervades everything; this too is His Special Form.” This entirely changed my outlook on life.

So how do we explain to others? It's kind of how Agathiyar is trying really hard to describe what he sees to us, who are blind to it. It is like in the following video where a blind man asks a young lad to describe the world we live in and the lad asking the blind man to describe his. It is like how I always ask my granddaughter to tell me what she was thinking and what she sees.