Saturday 21 June 2014

JALA NETI OR NASAL IRRIGATION

I came down with a flu last Thursday, 12.6.2014. Our family doctor Dr Jaswant Singh gave me a set of medicines. I completed taking the medicines but the flu was still there. If others brush aside the common cold and flu and move on with their life, for me it "paralyses" me and my daily activities. My problem is the "stuff" or mucus does not come out but blocks up my nasal passages, the cheeks, around the eyes and the forehead and leads to a stabbing headache. Once Dr Jaswant told me that this was the signs of me having sinus and that he needed to treat it with antibiotics.  As usual he cautioned me about the repercussions if I did not treat it on time. He told me that if the antibiotic does not work, then surgery had to be done. Usually his medicines work.

This time around I was faced with the same dilemma, and I was still not cured. I even tried inhaling steam with a dash of menthol crystals, but it only brought temporary relief. I had had enough and took up "my case" with Agathiyar. I gave him a "scolding" for not coming to my aid. When I went to pick up my daughter from her tuition class, I dropped in on the pharmacy and inquired if they had some medicine that would relief me of my problem. The pharmacists immediately identified my symptoms and told me I was having sinus. She recommended to me instead of taking more medicine why don't I try clearing the nasal passages with the  Sinus Rinse Starter Kit. And what do you know? All the "stuff" just dripped out of my nostrils without any effort on my part. I got immediate relieve. Amazing!


I remember when I was with my brother in India in 2005, he wanted to get one of those aids used by yogis to cleanse their nasal passages. Tavayogi Thangarasan Adigal who was with us at that moment asked me to get one for myself, but I replied that I did not know how to use them. As my brother said he knew how to use them, Tavayogi told me to learn from my brother. But I never used it. 

A similar Neti Pot that I had purchased in India
As I read the brochure that came with the Sinus Rinse Starter Kit, I saw a much improved version of the Neti Pot that we bought in India, advertised among many other products. Upon reading further I realized this products where based on the time tested methods of Indian Yogis as stated by Dr Ketan C.Mehta, M.D, founder and CEO of NeilMed, the company that produces and markets this product.
Nasal irrigation is a personal hygiene practice used for thousands of years in my native India.  When I moved to the USA in 1981 to further my medical training, I had no idea I had find my future in this ancient tradition. I am a practicing physician .... however, after suffering from chronic sinus disease and trying a range of treatments to control my symptoms - including corrective surgery - I discovered that the most effective therapy was the ancient practice of nasal irrigation. 
I apologized to Agathiyar and thanked him. I guess Agathiyar did not abandon me after all!

Learn more about Jala Neti or nasal irrigation at http://yoga108.org/pages/show/106-how-to-use-a-neti-pot-without-danger