Saturday 10 December 2022

THE PASSING OF OUR MOTHER

Come Monday 12 December it would be 16 days since the passing of my mother. If traditionally we are told not to light lamps and visit temples during this period a devotee reminded me of the full moon and Karthigai Deepam festival a day before and asked if I was conducting puja. Seeing her keeness I considered carrying out abhisegam and homam. Lord Murugan came to address us that day breaking all the rules just as we did. Another devotee was astonished to hear that both Agathiyar and Lord Shiva came and presided over the last rites carried out for my mother. How can we explain the Lords lila or play? Speaking to Shankaran Aiya who cares for and serves Agathiyar at the Adhi Kumbeshwar Temple in Kumbakonam he tells me that love for him breaks all man-made barriers and walls.

My brother who is a journalist wrote a piece on the passing of our mother at https://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/category/opinion/2022/12/10/when-we-die-do-we-really-die/

Meanwhile as I sat waiting on my dying mother at the hospital the swirling in the crown of my head went on. It came on during the funeral. It has come to stay for good in all matters of affair.