Sunday 12 October 2014

IN THE COMPANY OF THE GURU PART 1


AumSri Agatthiya Maharishi Namah shared Ramana Maharshi's quote on fb.

SILENCE

Silence is the most potent form of work. However vast and emphatic the sastras may be, they fail in their effect. The Guru is quiet and peace prevails in all. His silence is more vast and more emphatic than all the sastras put together. These questions arise because of the feeling, that having been here so long, heard so much, exerted so hard, one has not gained anything. The work proceeding within is not apparent. In fact the Guru is always within you.

Thayumanavar says: “Oh Lord! Coming with me all along the births, never abandoning me and finally rescuing me!” Such is the experience of Realisation.

source: Talk 398

Tavayogi Thangarasan Adigal exemplifies the above saying by Ramana. Although when he takes the stage to address the devotees he can speak for hours, with his vast experience as an orator and chairperson at pattimandrams, but most of the time he chooses to remain silent. His mission is to spread the wisdom of the Siddhas, hence he has to speak. Given a choice he would chose to remain silent. He once told me all these (his preaching in many places both in India and outside India) was his asking, and that he had wanted to spread the words and messages of the Siddhas, and he got what he wished for! The reason he came to Kallar was to go into samadhi, after having walked the whole of India. He was 60 then. But Agathiyar had to grant his burning desire to preach the fame of the Siddhas, desires that he had developed and nurtured earlier during his days in his hometown, Thirupur. All these had to come to fruition. 13 years on and at 73 years of age, Tavayogi is still waiting patiently for Agathiyar to allow him to go into samadhi.

Similarly a devotee who very much wanted to start and head a Peedham in Malaysia was granted his heart's desire. Agathiyar in his Nadi mentioned that he (Agathiyar) had established the newly formed Peedham (in 2005) for the devotee because the devotee desired it.

Surendaren Selvaratnam is currently in India, having left for Kallar on Thursday, 9th October and returning to Malaysia soon on Wednesday, 15th October. He has been updating me on his movements regularly. Having spent a couple of days at Tavayogi Thangarasan Adigal's ashram at the Sri Agathiyar Gnana Peedham, he left for Trichy on Saturday. On the way he took 'a long walk' to Konganar's cave at Uthiyur, Kangayam. Today Sunday, 12th October 2014, he will complete his remaining parikaram or atonement in and around Trichy and Kumbakonam before spending the next few days at Thavathiru Rengaraja Desigar's Ongkarakudil at Turaiyur and then will head home.

I am looking forward to Suren bringing over more video footage and information from Kallar that I shall share with readers of Siddha Heartbeat.

Surendaren Selvaratnam, Bala Chandran Gunasekaran and Jnana Jyothi Amma have been a major source and contributors to this blog. I take this opportunity to thank them.

Each time someone goes to Kallar it brings back fond memories of the time my family and I had with our guru. Lately we told him that there was never a day where we did not speak about him, to which he replied that Velayudham Karthikeyan Aiya and me were the 'talk of the town' at Kallar. Velayudham Karthikeyan Aiya administers the blog, http://siththanarul.blogspot.com/. His statement was a blessing and an endorsement from the guru himself.

As I trace back the memories I had with Tavayogi, I cannot but appreciate how blessed my family and I have been to make his acquaintance. 

Words cannot match our gratitude for this kind soul who took us in and started molding us. Below is a photo album of the good times my family and I had with Tavayogi. I shall walk you by through these photos.
Aaru Aathaara Peedham at the Sri Agathiyar Gnana Peedham, Kallar
Tavayogi told me an interesting story regarding how he came to established the massive Aaru Aathaara Peedham at his ashram. Agathiyar had directed Tavayogi to have this piece made from a single granite stone. The Peedham was delivered to the ashram and unloaded from the lorry. This is where Tavayogi and the locals had to figure out how to bring this massive piece of work across the railway tracks that stood in its way and haul it up the hill to the ashram. None of the ideas given looked feasible. As Tavayogi and his devotees were on the verge of giving up, out of exhaustion failing to move it even a fraction of an inch, a mysterious hand waves in front of Tavayogi and he hears a voice confiding in him, "I am here, why do you fear?". Immediately someone suggests that they engage an elephant to haul the piece up and arrangements are made to bring in an elephant. The mission succeeds! 

Following Tavayogi on one of his morning walks around Kallar in 2013 

Tavayogi begins his day with meditation, pranayama and yoga exercises in his quarters in the early morning hours of Brahmamuhurtha. When dawn breaks and it is daylight, he starts on his regular daily walk around the neighborhood. This has been his routine and regime for years, something that I too picked up from him later.

When Tavayogi was in Malaysia he told me he felt imprisoned when cooped up in the residence provided for him and could not wait to head back home to breath in the fresh air of the Kallar mountains. Later when he spent a night in my nephew's home, I invited him for a walk the next morning and saw the joy in him getting to take a long walk after a long time. Agathiyar has mentioned the importance of taking long walks too.

After his walk he heads again for the stream that flows through Kallar and under the Thuripaalam. This stream has its source in the hills of Nilgiri. As I took a dip in these waters Tavayogi told me that this water has medicinal value, flowing through the jungles of the herb laden hills of Nilgiri.

On returning from his bath he puts on fresh clothes and adorns the sacred ash or vibhuthi and leads the devotees on the morning prayers. His prayers were simple. It always started with hymns to Agathiyar, his guru Chitramuthu Adigal, and rendition of the names of the Siddhas compiled by him as SIDDHAR POTRI THOGUPPU. That was sufficient, he used to say, to gain the grace of the Siddhas. 

Walk through Kallar



A shot with the local residents
Following Tavayogi on his walk through the many caves and temples of the Siddhas in 2005 

I was blessed to have the opportunity to be brought to caves and samadhis of Siddhas by Tavayogi himself, something I had never imagined. Agathiyar in my Nadi had ask that I journey to India and spent 2 to 3 days at Kallar. This reading, my second, was read by Nadi Guru Ramesh during Tavayogi's visit to Malaysia. After Tavayogi returned to Kallar, extending an invitation to me to visit his ashram, I took up his invitation and followed suite. Even as I spoke to him on the phone from Malaysia, telling him that I was asked by Agathiyar to visit several places including Palani, and before I could finish he told me, "You just come and I shall take you wherever you want to go to".

Just as he promised, the moment I arrived at his ashram doorstep (now was there a door those days?) Tavayogi after the formalities asked if I wanted to see living gurus or visit the samadhis. I chose the samadhis. But Tavayogi took me to both places, for reasons I came to know later.

Uthiyur
A dilapidated and deserted Murugan temple at Uthiyur
Uthiyur
Looking out for the path that we had taken to arrive at the hills of Uthiyur 
At Uthiyur, Kangayam, on entering the cave where Tavayogi had spent many years meditating in, he broke down. I too broke down seeing him weep as he sang a hymn from Ramalinga Adigal's ARUTPA "Indru Varumoh Nalaikke Varumoh, Allathu Matrendru Varumoh, Ariyen Yengkove, Thundrumala Vemmaayai Atru, Velikkul Veli Kadanthu, Summa Erukkum Sugam". I watched in silence the deep yearning in him to merge with God as he sang this particular hymn.

இன்று வருமோ நாளைக் கே வருமோ
அல்லது மற்றென்று வருமோ அறியேன் எங்கோவே
துன்றுமல வெம்மாயை அற்று வெளிக்குள் வெளி கடந்து
சும்மா இருக்கும் சுகம்

Outside the cave where Tavayogi spent his days while at Uthiyur, Kangayam
Outside the cave where Tavayogi spent his days while at Uthiyur, Kangayam
Outside the cave where Tavayogi spent his days while at Uthiyur, Kangayam
Entering Konganar's cave at Uthiyur
While in the adjacent Konganar's cave at Uthiyur, Kangayam, an old man who followed us from Kallar and I were blessed to receive the sacred ash or vibhuti that appeared mysteriously. After entering the cave, as usual we each picked a spot on the ground and started chanting the Siddhas names. As I was not proficient in chanting the Siddha names then, and as I could not keep up with the speed the old man was chanting the names, I chose to just close my eyes and listen. Upon opening my eyes I saw Tavayogi holding out the sacred ash or vibhuti in his hand. He applied it on my forehead and the old man too. He gave me some to take back. As we were about to leave the cave, I asked Tavayogi why he left behind the rest of the vibhuthi. Tavayogi only then realized there was vibhuti on apiece of newspaper. He turned to me and asked whether I had brought the ash. I shook my head, "No". He asked the old man. He too replied he had not brought any along. Tavayogi gives a puzzled look and tells us let it be (the ash).

Inside Konganar's cave at Uthiyur, Kangayam
Konganar's cave
Konganar's cave, Uthiyur
On arrival at Courtallam, Tavayogi brought my brother and me to Agathiyar's cave. After the caretaker Velamal, her brother Subramaniam from Chennai, and another lady had left serving us tea and clearing the cave for our nights rest, Tavayogi lead us on singing the Siddhas names. Tavayogi retired as my brother and I continued singing more hymns into the night. Soon we called it a day too and retired for the day.

Inside Agathiyar's cave at Courtallam
Inside the inner chambers of Agathiyar's cave, Courtallam
Agathiyar's cave, Courtallam
(From right to left) With Subramaniam, another lady, and Vellamal, inside Agathiyar's cave at Courtallam
Outside Dhakshanamurthy's cave, Courtallam
The man in the center strangely appeared out of nowhere to have tea with Tavayogi in Agathiyar's cave the morning after our arrival. I had just returned after my bath at the adjacent falls to find him squatting at the opening to the cave and sipping the cup of tea. He acknowledged me and continued enjoying his tea silently. Velamal was having a conversation with Tavayogi while her brother Subramaniam and another lady sat watching. Shortly the man left. Just before he left he turned to me and mentioned that he will see me down there implying the Shenbaga Devi temple that we crossed to reach Agathiyar's cave. As promised he was squatting on a high wall and immediately jumped down to greet us. He joined us to Dhakshanamurthy's cave. At the entrance to the cave he opened the grills to the opening to the cave and lit a lamp before stepping outside and took his place, squatting on a rock. After we spent some time in prayer inside the cave, he closed the grill. and followed us for a while only to go his way as we turned to move on to Vallalar's cave. I caught up with him and thanked him before joining Tavayogi and my brother again. Who was this mystery man?

Inside the inner chambers of Dhakshanamurthy's cave at Courtallam
Inside Dhakshanamurthy's cave at Courtallam
Inside Dhakshanamurthy's cave at Courtallam
Vallalar's cave at Courtallam. We had to light a candle during the day as the cave was pitch dark
The inner chamber to Vallalar's cave was pitch dark and we had to light a candle that Tavayogi purchased at Courtallam before we started the hike up the jungle to Shenbaga Devi Amman's temple.

Outside Vallalar's cave, Courtallam
Breehadeshwarar Temple, Tanjore
As we alighted from the ambassador at the entrance to Breehadeshwarar temple, a peddlar approached Tavayogi and asked how is it he (Tavayogi) was there at Breehadeshwarar temple again? He mentioned that Tavayogi was there the day before too. Tavayogi turned around to me and gave a puzzled look. How could Tavayogi be there when he was traveling with me?

At Karuvurar's temple, Breehadeshwarar Temple in Tanjore
A question that still lingers in me is why had not Tavayogi lead me straight to Karuvurar's temple upon arrival at the Breehadeshwarar temple in Tanjore, instead he chose to lie in the shadows of the great Nandhi inviting me to share his shawl too while waiting for the main temple to open at 4 in the evening. At 4 as the temple of Shiva was opened to the public and the people who had gathered and waited patiently until then rushed in to get Shiva's darshan, Tavayogi lead me to Karuvurar's temple instead and we began to leave the temple grounds shortly after that. I wanted to get Shiva's darshan too having seen him once in 2003 but Tavayogi lead me away from Shiva's abode. Suddenly as if he sensed my disappointment, Tavayogi turned around and asked me if I wanted to visit Shiva's abode.  I nodded my head. He told me to go ahead as he would wait in the shadows of the temple gopuram, sheltering himself from the burning heat. I saw Shiva and returned to Tavayogi in a dash.

At Agasthiyampalli with Agathiyar
Agasthiyampalli
At Agasthiyampalli
At Agasthiyampalli
Agasthiyampalli is the place where Agathiyar opened his eyes in a granite stone statue of him, to my astonishment for the very first time as promised in the Nadi. As I was forewarned by Agathiyar that he would open his eyes to see me at this temple, I observed him very carefully as Tavayogi and I sat in front of him (Agathiyar) and chanted the Siddhas' names. Agathiyar's eyes were both engraved in granite - CLOSED. After chanting the long list of Siddha names compiled by Tavayogi, Agathiyar had still not shown any sign of his presence as promised. I closed my eyes and sat in prayer. When I opened my eyes again, Tavayogi was not in the temple. I found him outside the temple in the open. I walked towards him and joined him. He asked me to stand at the very spot he stood earlier and told me, "Look at Agathiyar opening and closing his eyes". Sadly I could not see the inner sanctum and Agathiyar's statue much less see his eyes open and close. As we were in the open and it was daylight, looking in into the sanctum, it was pitch dark. Tavayogi kept mentioned this miracle several times. I peered hard but did not see any activity at all. Tavayogi was disappointed as I realized from his tone when he continued, "Never mind son, lets take some photos", and lead me into the temple again. As I began to take my place again in my former spot, he told me to sit in the inner sanctum with Agathiyar. Fearing and thinking it was wrong to enter the sacred chamber I chose to sit on the threshold (vaasal) between the inner chamber and outer chamber. Again as I began to take my seat, Tavayogi stops me and throws his shawl over to me asking to lay it down on the ground and sit on it. I did just as instructed and turned towards Agathiyar. Agathiyar gave me a wide grin with his left eye wide open!

At Agathiyar's temple, Kalyana Theertam

At Agathiyar's temple, Kalyana Theertam
At Kalyana Theertam
At Kalyana Theertam
At Kalyana Theertam

At Chennimalai
Chennimalai
At Sargurunathar's cave enroute to Ooty
Sargurunathar's cave, near Kallar
Sargurunathar's ashram near Ooty
On the banks of the stream that flows through Kallar
Agathiyar Gnana Peedham Kallar
Kallar
Kallar
Kallar
Kallar revisited in 2013

Last October I went back to Kallar after 8 years this time with my family to pay my respects to Tavayogi. It was a memorable visit just as the previous visit in 2005. The place has changed a lot with Tavayogi having made modern facilities available for devotees from around the world. In 2003 there was no electricity. Tavayogi moved around with a gas-light and it was put of at 8pm after dinner to save on fuel. We retired early. There was no water supply to the ashram. Drinking water had to be fetched from a tank installed by the local authorities for use of the natives who were resettled beside the ashram. Bathing and washing clothes was at the stream that ran through Kallar town. There was just one latrine. Cooking was done in an adjacent shed. 

Today Kallar ashram has had a face lift thanks to contributions from devotees. There is electricity, water and toilet facilities. What was once a single structure has expended to include the original Peedham housing the Aaru Aathara Peedham, a space to conduct the Yagam and also read the Jeeva Nadi, another for performing yogic asanas and the dining hall and kitchen.

Kallar today
Kallar
Kallar today