Monday 23 November 2015

PUZZLED

Over the past weeks my blood pressure reading took a spike to an unhealthy level, which surprised me, as I always had a perfect blood pressure of 120/80. The results disturbed the doctors too.

I had seeked medication for my fever when I was told that I had high blood pressure and a fast pulse rate. Immediately upon seeing my pressure reading of 169/98 and a pulse rate of 120, the doctor asked that I take an ECG too. The test results showed no abnormal electric activity. The doctor wanted to start me on medication, just a mild dose she assured me. But I talked her out of it. She then asked that I monitor my blood pressure every two days before she decides to put me on medication. I was asked to come in after a few days to take a blood sample to perform a Thyroid Function Test too. Finally she asked me to report back the very moment things get out of hand. 

Meanwhile I seeked Dr Krishnan for a second opinion. The Siddha doctor recommended his herbal medicine High Low, a combination of 5 herbs, namely:
  1. Rauvolfia Serpentina, (A compound in it, contains called reserpine, was used in an attempt to treat high blood pressure - https://en.wikipedia.org)
  2. Withania Somnifera, (Ashwagandha is also used as an “adaptogen” to help the body cope with daily stress - http://www.webmd.com/)
  3. Centella Asiatica, (Studies have also shown positive effects on anxiety -  https://en.wikipedia.org)
  4. Commiphora wightii or Guggul, (Improves thyroid function, helps to lower cholesterol and triglycerides, heart protection, decreases platelet stickiness and reduces risk of heart disease and stroke. It has been shown to reduce total cholesterol up to 30% in 3 months. Guggul’s cholesterol regulating properties are especially important in reducing LDL by 35% and increasing HDL by 20% in 12 weeks - http://ayurveda-foryou.com/) and 
  5. Termanalia Arjuna, (The arjuna was introduced into Ayurveda as a treatment for heart disease by Vagbhata. Only 5 grams a day works wonders, prevents heart attack, lowers bad cholesterol)
Dr Krishnan consoles me that the pressure rose likely due to lack of sleep.

When I mentioned to my officemates of my new dilemma, one of them recommended a herbal concoction with:
  1. Clinacanthus Nutans Sabah or Sabah Snake Grass, (Lowering cholesterol, lowering high blood pressure - http://www.tea-code.com/) as its main component and 
  2. Prunus Armenia or Apricot, (The fruits are enriched with numerous health promoting phyto-chemicals; that helps prevent heart disease, reduce LDL, ("bad cholesterol") levels - http://www.nutrition-and-you.com/)
  3. Graviola or Soursop, fruit of the Annona Muricata tree, (Heart problems, palpitation, hypertension)
  4. Orthosiphon Stamineus or Misai Kucing, (The diuretic effects also explains the traditional use of Misai Kuching for high blood pressure. Modern diuretic medications are often prescribed to treat high blood pressure. The explanation is simple. Reduced water and sodium ions in the blood, lowers the pressure and makes it easier for the heart to pump. In animal studies, the phytochemical Methylripariochromene A was shown to suppress contractions in the thoracic aorta and decrease the contractile force, without significantly affecting the heart beat rate. Laboratory studies have shown that Misai Kuching inhibits 15–lipoxygenase, an enzyme thought to be involved in the development of artery blockage by LDL Cholesterol - http://www.mykucingtea.com/)

After consuming these herbal preparations and continuing with my daily walks and exercise, asanas, pranayama, and Erai's grace my blood pressure returned to a perfect level as before. The blood sample taken to analyse my thyroid function too did not show any abnormality.

The result on 19.11.2015