Thursday 10 December 2015

TRANSMISSION OF GRACE FROM THE SIDDHAS

Srinath Raghavan has posted his personal account of his meeting with a master on fb in 3 parts. It was too good so I had to share it on Siddha Heartbeat. 
"I too want to walk the path of the Siddhas?" said someone.
He just smiled and thought, "Wish we all could, as it would lead us to the very source of our existence. Alas! The path chooses who walks over it and seldom the other way round..."
~ The path of the Siddha, is to experience Siva through Vasi!
I am strangely reminded of an incident which happened many years ago, when my search led to a quaint little place in the outskirts of Chennai, to a quaint but supremely beautiful Asharma of a great Siddha, by the name of Sadhananda Swamigal. The place was simply out of the world, with tall trees and wild flowers and shrubs all around and the Saint's final resting place nestled in between them. That was my first time, so I was a bit reluctant to explore.
When my cousin, who is also my Man Friday, reached the place, the gate was locked shut. Disappointed we were about to leave, when a very tall man, unkempt and rustic in appearance, came from the inside asking us to wait. He fastened his steps and opened the lock, allowing us into this most beautiful abode. No one else was there at that time, only animals and birds roaming and chirping in careless freedom. He welcomed us with great joy and happiness, as if we were long lost cousins. He spoke in a Tamil dialect that was real old and pure, making us to strain ourselves totally to understand his words. But his eyes were swimming in the ocean of yogic joy and of knowing something which we didn't know. If not for his deep experiential wisdom, we would have surely thought he had lost his mind or so. Such were our first impressions of Him.
We went around the huge sylvan grounds, he guiding us in every step, showing us the various places where spiritual history was once made by the Saint. He told us stories of how the Saint practiced an advanced form of yoga, called the Navakhanda Yoga, which was epic to even hear. What touched me the most was, when our Guide lovingly spoke to the trees and flowers, even while he was talking with us alternatively.
Then all three of us sat near the Saint's Jeeva Samadhi, which was very serene, deep and peaceful indeed. He later confessed that a few people come here on select days, to practice a rare form of yoga, which he thought I might benefit from and that I should visit again, after a few days to meet them. I humbly agreed and relented to his care and concern, as He made us eat our lunch even after our remonstrances, which he lovingly cooked for us, with his own long tawny hands. He served us with so much love and quantity that my cousin and I couldn't eat a morsel more. We were full of his food and of his love, for someone he had met for the first time, but made it feel as if we had known each other for many lifetimes. I did not care to ask his name, nor did he ask mine, but that day, I was touched by a mad Siddha's love.
I returned there as promised in a few days time and that's another blessed experience altogether. I remembered him today for no reason and express my silent gratitude to him through these heartfelt words.
Sri continues,
In continuation to my previous post on my visit to Sadanada Swamigal Ashrama in Chennai, I promised the kind Guide, of my return visit in a few days time. He too bade me like a brother does to another...with love!
A few weeks later, I returned there alone, without my cousin, who usually accompanies me on such spiritual escapades. It was destined to be that way, as he was caught up in some last minute commitments, so I made my way alone. I took a bus from where I was put up that time, changed two buses in between, caught hold of a local on a two wheeler, who was going the same way as me and then tread the last bit of the distance on foot to the remote Ashrama.

Yet again there was the same guy, who had welcomed us first, at the gate as if he was expecting me beforehand. I had not intimated my coming, as I hadn't taken the Ashram number in my last visit. He welcomed me with a big smile and also informed that the folks he had spoken about the last time, had already come and were sitting in meditation in a remote part of the grove. We made our way through an unbeaten path to his little abode where kept his meager belongings as he took care of the Ashrama as it's unofficial caretaker. He shared some episodes about his life with me, about his ailing mother and his siblings and also asked about mine. He offered me a strong cup of herbal tea, which zapped my senses so much that tears began to flow from my eyes.
A couple of hours thus passed by, getting to know each other at a spiritual level, when he saw a fleeting glimpse of two gentlemen, clad in pure white. His eyes brightened at the prospects of introducing me to them and told me to get up and caught hold of my hand and literally dragged me towards them. 
The duo were the most serene beings I had ever encountered in my life. One was elder and the other young, a lil' older than me possibly. The elder one saw me first and smiled becomingly. He took my hand in his and said those very first words, "So you have come to learn the Deathless Science?"
I was silent, for I did not know what to respond, as I was hearing those words for the very first time. I fumbled in my speech when he beckoned me to sit down. In the mean time, the younger one too joined us introducing himself and beseeching mine.
I admitted that I didn't know what to expect out of this visit, as I was told to come by the Guide to meet them without an agenda.
The elder with eyes full of compassion said, "Grace often descends unannounced!"
I agreed in all humility.
The Elder, to my sheer astonishment, began to recount many lesser known episodes of a great Siddha Master whom I loved and believed in. He said as a matter of fact, that my Master was a practitioner of this ancient Science and His own Master, was their Master too.
Tears welled up in my eyes at the mention of my dear Master's name, as the elder one observed, "Good! Tears are a sign of deep love for the Beloved..."
... to be continued.
Sri concludes his meeting with the master,
The concluding part...
The Elder Yogi, after recounting the lesser known episodes of a Siddha Master whom I adored asked me point blank, "Are you willing to walk on the path your Master?"
I was flummoxed at the directness of the Sage and I answered, "If he wills so, I shall in all sincerity..."

The Yogi seemed to be happy with the answer and he asked me one last question, which hit me hard in my gut, as I wasn't prepared for it. He looked at me with emotionless eyes and asked, "How much can you sacrifice to receive this ancient gift of the Siddhas?"
I did not know what to answer, but blurted out unknowingly, "Whatever you deem fit, please ask and I shall give it happily?"
The Elder smiled in satisfaction and asked me to remove my upper garment, which revealed my bare chest on which was wound the sacred thread, signifying my birth in the clan of the most ancient and learned ones, the scions of Brahma - The Brahmanas! When I was 16 or so, I was invested with the sacred thread and initiated into the most holy Gayatri Mantra. Since then not even a day was missed intentionally or otherwise, to perform my daily Vedic duties. Come rain or sunshine the Gayatri Mantra and Sandhyavandhana were dutifully performed to the last letter.
That day the elder asked me, "Remove your sacred thread and give it to me along with the fruits of the countless recitation of the Gayatri!"
My mind went blank with no thoughts or speculations about the nature of the deal. A smile passed on my lips as my hands reached for the sacred thread and respectfully removed it across my shoulders and offered it to the Elder as Dakshina.
He too accepted it with great care and respect and smiled saying, "You have passed the test. Welcome home brother!"
What transpired after that shall remain with me for now, as it's too personal and sacred to be revealed in public. However just to say that the transmission of grace of the Siddhas was complete.
After that I never went there, nor the call came to come again, for the Elder simply bid adieu saying, "My role is complete! Go fulfill yours now!"
Here ends the recollection, which was once a part of my spiritual memory, of which I seldom share with anyone; but an exception is made with this one for unknown reasons.
So be it.