Tuesday 23 March 2021

WHEN MAN MEETS THE SIDDHAS 4

What would you ask God if he comes to you? 

During the early years of my search on the Siddhas, when many seekers asked about their family and career, problems and troubles, illnesses and diseases, and asked for their desires and ambitions to be fulfilled I abstained from asking for anything for the good Lord had given and furnished me with all that I needed. Though I carried a desire to see both Agathiyar and Ramalinga Adigal and conveyed this desire to Tavayogi Thangarasan Adigal after getting to know him, Tavayogi replied casually that it was possible for them to appear before us implying that it was no big deal but he added asking me if that was what I wanted, prompting me to re-evaluate my seeking, desire, and yearning. I knew then that that was not THE thing to ask for. He made this desire and yearning of mine seem petty in comparison to much bigger things that I presumed were available "in-store". Taking the hint and the cue from Tavayogi's answer I understood that there ought to be something much bigger and beyond this, something much lasting rather than these fleeting moments of joy and bliss in seeing them or having their darshan. I realized that what was needed was a total transformation of the Self in all matters and manners. 

Traveling the path I came across many seekers who spoke excitedly about raising the Kundalini and enquired the means to it. I asked myself what use was this to a layman like me who was deeply rooted in family bonds and society. I did not venture to wake up the sleeping giant. Let the sleeping giant sleep.

Many seekers spoke about the Siddhis that the Siddhas performed yearning to do similar feats. Again I questioned the need for this. I came across a story shared by Srinatha Raghavan of the needlessness of gaining Siddhis in this era of science and technology, an opinion that I share too. A master boastfully carried out the feat of walking over the surface of the water before the wise and saintly Ramakrishna Paramahamsa. The wise saint watching him perform the feat cheered him on but at the end of the "show" told him off quite bluntly that by engaging a boatman for a small token the boatman could have easily taken him across to the other bank. 
A great Spiritual Adept and Master (Name withheld) once happened to meet Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa on the banks of the Ganges. After the initial pleasantries, the old Adept told Sri Thakur, "Let me show you something remarkable?" Telling so, he entered the flowing waters of the Ganges only to walk over it, without drowning. Sri Thakur seeing this one perform the stunt, danced and clapped like a child.

When the Water Walking Master came back to the shore, Sri Ramakrishna went into Samadhi and muttered inaudibly, "Why have you wasted so much time and effort, when you could have paid the boatman a few Annas and he would have steered you to the other shore?"
Sri Thakur then implored the other Master, with tears in his eyes, "Please promise me to drop all this magic show and be sincere towards the Ultimate goal?"
Ah! That's real spiritual beauty and grandeur. That gentleness of speech and spirit is what is sorely missed in todays freak shows.

When many seekers secretly desired to get their hands on the Nadi that could reveal the deep secrets of the universe and creation; the past, present, and future, and many more, I never heeded the gift that was in waiting thanks to the grooming from Tavayogi to drop my attachment to all things. When Suresh of Tiruvannamalai showed him a Rudraksha seed and asked if he should wear that, Tavayogi gave him the green light and a few words of advice as to how to adorn the sacred seed. Turning to me he told me that we do not need it. He next turned his gaze on me and the gem-studded gold ring and the Rasamani I wore on me. Off it went "through the window" when he told me that we do not need them. 

When there was a craze to attain Mukti or salvation that was put across in conversations among seekers, I came across Ramalinga Adigal mentioning in his Tiruarutpa that that too was not the ultimate seeking. A fb sharing sheds some light on this state.

When Agathiyar came around asking each of us what we wanted, again I had nothing to ask of him. He kept waiting for my reply. I began to ask myself what was it that truly came from me that I could give him. Furnishing and decorating him with garlands, and serving food or prasad were in fact giving back to him what he has given us in the form of flowers and grains, etc. I realized that I had nothing to my credit to offer. My contribution would be insignificant for everything was created, given, and provided by him. After much thought, I figured that the only thing I could give was my effort. I then told him that I wished to take birth again and again and serve him as I did now. He quipped if that was what I wanted, echoing the words of Tavayogi. I knew that instant that he would gift me with the boon but that was not THE thing to ask for. I finally surrendered and told him that I do not know what to ask for, for I feared that it might not be THE thing to ask. We both left it at that. 

Turning to my friend and devotee later over the phone, although we had no idea what it was and what we were asking for, we asked ourselves if we should ask for Gnanam as always extolled by Tavayogi. Tavayogi had since day one mooted us to move away from Sariyai and temple worship and reach out for Gnanam. When Agathiyar came around again he surprised me telling me that I had asked for Gnanam and went on to define Gnanam and explain the means to attain the state. He told us clearly that it was not a state given or gifted to us but we have to work for it by going within. The culmination of our experiences that arise within as a result of this travel within is Gnanam and it shall differ from person to person. 

Thinking that that was the ultimate state to be sought for, we were in for yet another surprise. The ultimate asking dawned from within in those silent hours of contemplation and meditation in the midst of the Siddhas. It dawned on me that to seek his kingdom and to be one with his entourage (வாழையடி வாழை என வந்த திருக்கூட்டம்). This wish was put forth. Ramalinga Adigal came to endorse that this is what one should ask for. It is the ultimate yearning and desire that one should have. Instead of singling out and prioritizing our desires, and asking from this existing long list, with the entry into their ranks, all that is listed and everything else shall come into being and within our reach.