Tuesday 30 May 2023

MEDITATION

If I had lamented before Mahindren some time back that I had wasted some precious 2 1/2 years in doing nothing productive as I could not bring myself to meditate as Agathiyar had asked of me after bringing the shutters down on AVM and its puja and charity programs in a timely manner coinciding with the coming of the pandemic he told me to look at it in a different perspective. He pointed out that I had dropped everything in those years that was difficult for anyone to do. Today he came along and when I lamented that I have yet to go into a state of meditation, he answered that writing this very blog post itself was a form of meditation, opening my eyes to the truth of the matter. Indeed Buddhist monks have devised many ways and means to enter meditation. These tools assist them in bringing awareness to the activity on hand and practically enter a state of meditation even if it were to be for brief moments. Creating the Mandala and later destroying it besides teaching them the impermanence of life also brings them to focus on the job or task at hand. Observing and feeling each piece of raisin before munching on it and savoring it and only then swallowing it is another form of meditation. I guess as Mahindren pointed out to me the ten to fifteen minutes of drafting and writing each post is a form of meditation too.

I am practically sitting around doing nothing these days except writing and uploading videos. Yet Agathiyar came with promises. When I ask him what I should do further to achieve these states he tells me "Do Nothing" referring me to Tavayogi as an example. True enough when Tavayogi invited me to his ashram in Kallar after we met in Malaysia I had expectations of spending some time listening to discourses from him. But the irony was that he kept to himself most of the time, speaking only when required. There was no discussion nor conversation beyond certain passing statements he made as we traveled to places later. Those five days spent at Kallar and following him were in fact not classroom teachings instead he took me to the ground and had me experience for myself the miracles and the magic of the Siddhas. Indeed a newcomer like me needed to be impressed so that I shall hold on to the journey. Instead of taking classes and giving me lessons I learned from his approach to matters and people whom he met daily. I learned from his lifestyle as a mendicant and turavi. I observed him during our travels and learned much. Today I pretty well understand be it the passing statements he made or revealing the stark truth of the matter after each happening. 

We read that the saints have been told to do nothing and sit alone in contemplation. As age is catching up with me Agathiyar has asked that I withdraw myself. I think I know what makes us age. Gravity. I believe that if we can beat gravity at its game we can remain young forever. It is gravity that makes our skin sag, tugging on us, pulling us down to the level of earth and water. If we could transform these two elements, defeating these two of the Tattvas, we have overcome gravity I guess. I believe this is what the saints did too, progressing to the other three states or Tattvas, namely fire, wind, and space, and beyond. I might be wrong but let us see what Agathiyar or Ramalinga Adigal have to say further for they have been asking and reminding me to read up on the Tattvas from Tavayogi's book "Andamum Pindamum". 

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_biology we learn that,

"Plant roots grow towards the pull of gravity and away from sunlight, and shoots and stems grow against the pull of gravity and towards sunlight. Gravity is thus a limiting factor in the growth of individual cells. In larger terrestrial vertebrates gravitational forces influence musculoskeletal systems, fluid distribution, and hydrodynamics of the circulation. Microgravity impedes the development of bone cells. Bone cells must attach themselves to something shortly after development and will die if they cannot. Without the downward pull of a gravitational force on these bone cells, they float around randomly and eventually die off. This suggests that the direction of gravity may give the cells clues as to where to attach themselves.

Learn more at https://www.brainfacts.org/Neuroscience-in-Society/Tech-and-the-Brain/2017/Gravity-and-the-Human-Body-061517