Monday 21 October 2013

RETURN TO KALLAR - MY THIRD PILGRIMAGE TO INDIA

After 8 years I made my way back to India, this time with my family. I went to India in 2003 after reading the Nadi. Agathiyar in the Nadi had instructed me to conduct atonement or parikaram for my past karma. I was brought to Supramania Swami of Tiruvannamalai on the last leg of my pilgrimage. Thus started a beautiful guru-disciple relationship between us. Supramania Swami has since gone into samadhi on 7 February 2007.

Supramania Swami of Tiruvannamalai
In 2005 I met Tavayogi Thangarasan Adigal when he came to officiate a branch of his Sri Agathiyar Gnana Peedham at Wisma Keringat, Batu Caves in Malaysia. Subsequently, I made my way to Tavayogi's ashram in Kallar, near Mettupalayam, the following month, on his invitation. Tavayogi again came in 2007 to officiate the First World Conference of Siddha Philosophy held at Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia of which he was the patron and again in 2010 to officiate more branches of his Peedham including in Teluk Intan, Perak, and Banting, Selangor. Meanwhile, his able aid and disciple Mataji Sarojini Ammaiyaar came to Malaysia in 2007, 2008 and 2010. This relationship developed over the years.

In August Tavayogi and Mataji, as usual, asked when I am bringing my family over to Kallar. But this time around Tavayogi put the request to every one of us - my wife, two children and me. This triggered the thought that it was indeed a long time since I revisited Kallar, Tavayogi, and Mataji. I checked the price of the airline ticket for the days that were a public holiday in Malaysia, the reason being to allow my children who were schooling to come along. I thought it would make Tavayogi happy if we joined him in December for the Agathiyar Jayanthi and Guru Puja. But I had to conduct the Guru Puja at my home too. Tavayogi had an answer for that too. "Get your family to perform the Puja", he replied. Anyway, there was no promotion in Air Asia's fares during this period too. I checked the other months too - November and September. Air Asia offered a promotion only in October. I settled for it and went on to book online But the transaction did not go through. I did not pursue further as it was pretty late at night. The next morning I was surprised to find the fare go down further. I booked immediately as it was 50% off the usual fare. Agathiyar had paved the way for my family to travel cheaply. 

I applied for an international passport for my family. After obtaining it I called Tavayogi and told him that we had got our passports. After a bout of silence, when Tavayogi realized the reason for me to mention the passport, it dawned on him that we were coming over, and he was in joy. I applied online for the Indian Visa for all of us and headed for Ganesh Travels to have Mr. Krishnan submit them on our behalf. I called up Devathiran of Chennai to plan my itinerary. I spoke to Molly Menon on Skype too regarding my proposed trip. 

Then we counted the days. I had no problem applying for my annual leave at the office. My second daughter would have finished her final examination three days earlier to our departure. What worried us was my eldest daughter's schedule at College. It looked like she would have classes on the day of departure and she would also have to play truant a couple of days. Then she surprised me by e-mailing me that her college was closed for the exact period of our duration in India - 11 October to 15 October. Later she told us she would not have classes on 16 and 17 October too. Agathiyar had provided for her to travel in peace. 

We engaged our neighbor who owned a taxi to drop us at the airport. We left home at 6pm arriving at the airport an hour later. The plane was scheduled to leave at 10.10pm but only took off at 11pm. We reached Trichy at 2.15 MST. 

This was the first time flying experience for my wife and children. They were excited. Although the plane took off late, it arrived as scheduled at Trichy 11.35pm IST. Molly Menon, Dr. Ram Subramaniam, and Deva were on hand to greet us at the airport. After lots of hugging and formal exchanges, we made our way to the Hotel Temple Inn that Molly had made reservations earlier. Deva brought his Toyota Inova a seven sitter that provided a comfortable ride. Once at the Hotel Molly prepared hot milk for us and passed the food, which she had packed for us - food that was served as Annadhanam at Tiruvanamalai earlier that morning. We chat till the early morning hours and called it a day at 2.30am IST. 

I knew Deva since 2003 since Deva was the one who brought me to Supramania Swami. Although I had been in contact with Molly and Dr. Ram on Skype and Facebook, this was the first time my family and I were meeting them.

On arrival at Trichy Airport
After breakfast at the hotel which was extremely delicious we made our way to Tiruvanaikaval Temple.
At Hotel Temple Inn, Trichy

We wanted to get the blessings of Lord Ganesa at the Uchi Pillaiyaar Temple on Rock Fort first before starting on our journey. But considering the fact that Molly might face some difficulties climbing the steps up to the temple, we opted to visit the Tiruvanaikaval Temple which was on flat ground instead. 

We had a beautiful Darshan (Darisanam) at Tiruvanaikaval. We then started for Kallar. Molly and Dr. Ram followed us to Kallar.

At Thiruvanaikaval
En route, we stopped over at Sivanmalai in Kangeyam. It was almost 1pm and we feared the temple would be closed. But a priest on the steps of the temple informed us it was open. We had a beautiful Darshan here too. We had a glimpse of Shivavakiyar's Cave in the temple.


Entrance to Sivanmalai
The view from atop Shivanmalai
At Shivanmalai
Dr Ram and Molly inside the temple
At the entrance to Shivavakiyar's Cave
It was 5.30pm when we reached Tavayogi's ashram the Sri Agathiyar Sri Thava Murugar Gnana Peedham. As we were crossing the train track that ran through the foot of the small hillock where Tavayogi's ashram was perched comfortably, we were lucky to watch the Toy Train from Ooty that was returning to Methupalaiyam go by. The train passes the ashram twice a day on its route from Methupalaiyam to Ooty at 7.30am and Ooty to Methupalaiyam at 5.30pm.

The Toy Train greets us on arrival at Kallar
Since I had initially told Tavayogi that I shall go to Vedaranyam before coming over, Tavayogi and Mataji were not expecting us till late at night. But along the way I had my wife knock some sense into me asking me to be focused on the reason we were going to India. Yes, what she said made sense. We were making this trip only because Tavayogi and Mataji had been asking us over, numerous times. And we had only five days and five nights to spare. Along the way, I had deviated wanting to include more temple visits on the itinerary. What started with Trichy-Kallar-Trichy became Trichy-Tanjore-Kallar, then Trichy-Tanjore-Swamimalai-Kallar, and extended to cover Trichy-Vedaranyam-Tanjore-Kallar. That is the work of the mind; it wants all. When I told Tavayogi that we were coming over, I also put the question to him as to when I should come. He told me to come for the Guru Puja celebrations on 22 December 2013. But I wanted some precious time with Tavayogi and my family. I knew he could not spare the time and attention during this two-day festive period. Another reason was the fares were high during the peak year-end holiday season. Anyway, I did not want to go back on my word to him, having said that I shall spend all five days at his ashram. 

We made our way up the hill to the ashram with Molly leading the way and calling out for Mataji's daughter and granddaughter. At the peedham, Tavayogi who was seated got up immediately to greet us, joined by Mataji who came out from her room having being informed of our arrival by her granddaughter. I was glad Tavayogi was looking hale and healthy.

Finally, we arrive at the doorsteps of the Sri Agathiyar Sri Thava Murugar Gnana Peedham
Receiving the hospitality of Tavayogi and Mataji
Sharing some precious moments with Tavayogi and Mataji upon arrival
To be continued.......