Wednesday 20 November 2013

YOGANANDA'S AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF A YOGI

The copy that I was given

A beautiful and rare painting of Lord Shiva that I received from Segaran
For those who have read Yogananda Paramahansa's AN AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF A YOGI, would acknowledge that this book is to be treasured. I too hold this book close to my heart for various reasons. This book introduced to me the role and necessity of a Guru on an aspirant's spiritual journey. The numerous encounters Yogananda had with the spiritual masters was an interesting read and an eye-opener.

This book is a must-read for those seeking or in search of a Guru and also for those who already are under the tutelage of a Guru.

In 1994, Segaran from my office was leaving his job as he had opted to become a monk in the ashram set up by Paramahansa Yogananda in Ranchi, India. As a parting gift, he gave me a magnificent painting of Lord Shiva, a copy of this book and a piece of advice, “People here at the office shall dump all kinds of work to you. Do not refuse to accept if you have the time, the energy and the know-how.” I kept the painting of Lord Shiva at my altar. I cherished the Autobiography having read it numerous times. I adopted Segaran’s parting words and as a result, I began to learn new things and soon became an asset to my department. 

I read and cherished AN AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF A YOGI very much. I wished I could meet Gurus similar to those mentioned in the book. I was yearning for an experience similar to what Yogananda had. Then one day I searched for the book but could not find it. I never found it again. 

When Gopal from my office was transferred out, I had personally lent him a hand in clearing and carting away his personal belongings. We made sure nothing personal of his was left behind. Then one day as I passed his former cubicle, still left vacant, I thought I saw a book lying on his former table. There was a copy of AN AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF A YOGI on the table! I had been given a replacement copy – mysteriously! 

For those who have yet to read this amazing book, Ananda and Crystal Clarity Publishers have made available online the complete first edition of Paramhansa Yogananda's AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF A YOGI at http://www.crystalclarity.com/yogananda/index.php