Wednesday 15 November 2017

GANESHA

Supramania Swami once told me that nothing goes in vain. All our efforts produce results. If the obstacle does not give way or budge, it is just that the obstacle is larger than we presumed. This is where we seek help from others to move things. Some prefer to go to the divine to seek his divine intervention. This is where prayer comes in. We see the efficacy of prayers. Everything then falls into place just as desired.

And who do we seek in case we come across obstructions and obstacles? Lord Ganesha off course. But he goes beyond removing obstacles. He is Guru for many saints and has lead them to liberation and enlightenment.

A beautiful statement is made in the movie, "Cloud Atlas", "Our life is not ours; we are bound to others." How true. We are all connected to each other and nature and the divine. The divine moves and lives in us. It would surprise us to realize that the divine lives in this piece of meat that we own as our body and that is food for another.

Tirumular compares the temple with the physical body. 

The inner recess is the residence of Erai; the physical body the temple;
The mouth is the doorway for Erai;
The enlightened know the Jeeva (Soul, Atman) as the Shivalingam;
the five senses as lamps.

திருமந்திரம் (Thirumanthiram) - 1823

உள்ளம் பெருங்கோயில் ஊனுடம்பு ஆலயம்
வள்ளற் பிரானார்க்கு வாய்கோ புரவாசல்
தெள்ளத் தெளிந்தார்க்குச் சீவன் சிவலிங்கம்
கள்ளப் புலன்ஐந்தும் காளா மணிவிளக்கே!

Agathiyar started me on this path asking me to chant Lord Ganesha's moola mantra for a mandala. Later I was surprised to hear Agathiyar mention in my Nadi that both Lord Ganesha and Gautama Buddha were the rulers of Va Si (breath). Tavayogi once told me that the breath is God. Agathiyar has mentioned to several devotees he saved that he had given them his breath so that they could live.

The mantra that I received from Dr Krishnan who willingly came to my aid, after I failed miserably in gaining information and guidance from existing societies and peedhams linked to Agathiyar, came mysteriously at the right moment as if it was from the divine. On the day I met him I told him I was asked to come to Agathiyar and the worship of the Siddhas. He told me he would prepare a yantra and give me Agathiyar's mantra then. When I was there to collect the yantra he told me he would pass me the mantra another day. One day as I was engaged in puja on Amavasai, the phone rang. Usually I do not answer nor bring the phone with me during prayers. But surprisingly I had my phone beside me that day and the call was from him. He ran the mantra in my ears as if I was getting an initiation into the mantra. It was a good start for us at an auspicious day and moment.

Later Tavayogi initiated me and my wife and several others into this mantra with a slight variation. But the basis of both this mantras was Si Va or Va Si when reversed: AUM SI VA A U M.

Avvai in her Vinayagar Agaval pleads that Lord Ganesha take hold of the breath and lead her to the state of liberation.



Thavathiru Rengaraja Desigar in all his talks mentions that the Siddhas will come into us and conduct the breath.

Nakirar who takes Lord Ganesha as his Sadguru too, in his Vinayagar Thiruagaval takes his hand to take hold of the breath.

நாசி நுனியில் நடக்குங் கலைகள்
வாசிவா வென்று வாங்கிப் பிடித்து...

He equates him to Lord Shiva and Vaalambigai.

வேதனு மாலும் விமலனு மறியாப்
பாதத் சலங்கைப் பலதொனி யார்ப்பத்....

மூலா தார முச்சுடர் காட்டி
வாலாம்பிகை தன் வடிவையுங் காட்டி
மாணிக்க மேனி மலர்ப் பதங் காட்டி...

He seeks poetic genius as rewarded to Avvai and Arunagiri.

அருணகிரியா ரவ்வை போலக்
கருத்து மிகுந்த கவிமழை பொழிய...



Sivakavin from Chennai who broke several bones in a major accident some time back and went into surgery spent a mandalam performing the Ganapathy Homam and saw its results. The wrist bone joined and healed amazingly without the need of further surgery. This amazing episode reminds us of Pamban Swamigal and his Shanmuga Kavasam that was recited by his followers that effected healing in Swami's foot that was injured when a horse-cart ran over it.