Sunday 17 January 2021

INTRODUCING ME

In college thinking I was a smart alec I researched and wrote additional facts in answering the questions given by my lecturer Mr. T. When we received the answer papers I saw that there was no marking done on them. I walked up to him and pointed it to him. He looked at the paper for a moment and told me "I want you to just answer what I had given you in the form of notes". He made it quite clear that he was not interested in additional material or answers beyond what he had given and taught us. He used to walk up to the blackboard and start writing. We are expected to copy his notes fast for he would erase them starting from the top as soon as he reached the bottom and write further. Later when I asked around my seniors and compared their notes it was repeated year after year, word for word. 

When my daughter was asked to write a composition based on several pictures, she came to me for assistance. I began to dictate a story following the pictures and of course beyond. When she received her papers she was given zero marks although she had written quite a long piece. The teacher told her that that was the reason she received no marks - she had written a long piece including things not shown or depicted in the pictures. She never came back to me for assistance on composition.

When my children came with a maths problem rather than guide them with a solution I always had the tendency to go beyond the formula showing them how the formula was derived. I would hold them back for hours. They never came back to me asking to solve them.

When I lost my gate pass that is used to scan and enter my office and its premises, I was told a replacement would take some 6 weeks. I was asked to make a police report. At the police station, I was asked if I could write out the report or needed assistance. I opted to write myself. I began from the office taking the bus to the couple of banks and the post office. The desk officer observed me for some time and finally nudged me with a question. "What are you writing?" "You do not need to write an essay" he chided. He took the piece of paper away from me and begin to write himself. He wrote, "Pass lost". He asked me to sign the report. That's that. 

Somehow when given a piece of blank paper I am carried away to write. Whenever someone asked me something I would always go to the beginning of time or dinosaur age. I guess I always never answered the question straight to the point but went beyond. I am surprised why Agathiyar figured I was the right candidate to write this blog. Please bear with me dear readers. I shall come around delivering the goods eventually.