Tuesday 2 November 2021

PUPPET

When my elder daughter was growing up she used to listen to the many old songs that I played both at home and while traveling. She would repeat the lyrics, her favorite was "Neeyum Bommai Naanum Bommai". Now my 4-year-old granddaughter is singing it. While listening together just moments ago, she asked me why the singer mentions everyone as a puppet? I began to draw out the concept to her.


We started with her "I". I asked her to describe herself. She listed the following. Ushalini, 4 years old, has curly hair, has one earring, has small hands and feet. This became her properties. It was the immediate properties of her "I". Then she went on to mention she had a baby brother, mother, father, sister. This was the immediate family of her "I". Then she mentioned Tata, Avva, Appayi, each Sitti, each Sithappa and Arvind Anna. Then she included her Sinna Tata, Sinna Avva, Sithi and Mama too. I explained to her this is how he "I" accumulates more properties through the parents, siblings, and relatives. Soon when she goes to school she would befriend friends and teachers too. Then she will find a career and establish new friends. She would get married and start a family of her own. They would buy properties. This shall go on. 

To one who decides to drop the "I" as in the song, he sees himself as a puppet in the hands of God. 

நீயும் பொம்மை நானும் பொம்மை
நினைச்சு பார்த்தா எல்லாம் பொம்மை

தாயின் மடியில் பிள்ளையும் பொம்மை
தலைவன் முன்னே தொண்டனும் பொம்மை
கோவிலில் வாழும் தெய்வமும் பொம்மை
அதை கும்பிடும் மனிதர் யாவரும் பொம்மை

வல்லவன் கையில் நல்லவன் பொம்மை
உள்ளவன் முன் இல்லாதவன் பொம்மை
அல்லும் பகலும் உழைப்பவன் பொம்மை
தினம் அல்லல்பட்டு அலைபவன் பொம்மை

விதியின் பார்வையில் உயிர்கள் பொம்மை
வீசும் புயலில் உலகமே பொம்மை
நதியின் முன்னே தர்மமும் பொம்மை
வரும் சாவின் பிடியில் வாழ்வும் பொம்மை

அன்பின் அணைப்பில் அனைவரும் பொம்மை
ஆசை வார்த்தையில் அறிவும் பொம்மை
இன்ப சோலையில் இயற்கை பொம்மை
அந்த இயற்கை அமைப்பில் எதுவுமே பொம்மை

The song has been remade as follows.