Tuesday 31 October 2023

TRAVELING THE SIDDHA PATH

When I was in college back in the late seventies, I once stepped into a shop selling precious stones. Looking around I was shooed away by the old proprietor. He told me "You cannot afford them. Go away." That made me determined to wear a gem-studded gold ring later. Just as Sri Yukteswar Giri told Yogananda to wear an amulet, to protect himself from the malefic effect of the stars, when I stepped before my first guru Supramania Swami of Tiruvannamalai in 2003, he surprised me by asking that I wear one as it shall do good to me. He should know for he was an astrologer. But he surprised me further by neither asking for my birth details to chart my horoscope nor looking into my destiny by looking at my palms. He just sat there for close to 5 hours tapping into what I have come to know now as the Akashic records and the Prapanjam. I returned home to Malaysia and made myself one. But the famed jewelsmith who even spoke about the gems on a weekly slot on the radio had mistakenly placed a blue sapphire in the middle instead of the ruby. Luckily I had some knowledge of the placement of the stones in the Navaratna ring as I read a lot then. I went back and enquired. He did not apologize for the mistake but chose to remain silent. One of his staff though leaked out the secret. They were giving orders to Chinese goldsmiths hence a possibility that the latter was not aware of the order of placement of these precious stones in a ring. They rectified it. But I was to lose one of the stones, the yellow sapphire later in 2005 when I sat before Swami again at his village home again. Prior to that, I had visited Tavayogi at his Kallar ashram. He had enquired about the Navaratna ring on my finger and told me "We do not need it, my son." As though reflecting his "order", I lost it momentarily when I left it in his locker for safekeeping before going for a dip in the stream that ran by the ashram. Upon returning from the bath in the stream, and searching for it, we found it lodged in the angle iron frame of his steel cabinet. I removed the ring and never wore it again.

When I was transferred back to my HQ in 1988, I befriended a chief clerk who used to frequent my cubicle later at my office. He was into classical music and astrology and a student of Paramahansa Yogananda's teachings having enrolled in the lessons of the movement through the mail. Once I sang the verses from Thiru Gnana Sambandar's "Kol Aaru Thirupathigam" trying to pacify him after listening to his dilemma. He shut me up saying that I was not Thiru Gnana Sambandar. Indeed I was not him. The saint could summon the Lord. I could not. I knew where I stood. But I have come to realize that the divine had already planted a seed in me that waited to be nourished with the coming of my gurus.  If we are told in the past of stories where the divine comes within the womb of the mother and blesses her with a divine child, Agathiyar says the same that I have had the blessings of Ramalinga Adigal and Lord Murugan in my mother's womb. 

மண்ணுலகில் வள்ளல் ஆசி குமரன் ஆசி ஆசியும் ஆண்டு பல முன்பே கிட்டி அவர்கள் அருள் கருணையும் நிறைந்து இருக்க ஆசியோடு அருள் கருணை சக்தியும் தான் அன்னையின் கருவில் பெற்றதனால் ......

I guess that is the reason I have been given an opportunity to merge in the light in this birth. When I met Tavayogi in 2005 when he came to officiate a local affiliate of his Kallar Agathiyar Gnana Peedham in Batu Caves, and he came subsequently in 2007 to officiate the Conference of Siddha Philosophy, I told him that I wanted to see him turn to light just like Ramalinga Adigal and Jeganatha Swamigal. But he told me that he had missed the boat as he was way past 60. He was reportedly said to be 69 then. When Jnana Jothiamma came along and was groomed by Agathiyar through the Nadi after she was initiated into the path by Agathiyar through Tavayogi at Kallar ashram in 2011, I thought there was a soul who would attain the state right before our eyes. But she too lost the fight as she was in her late sixties. Agathiyar tells us that it has to happen before 58. When Supramaniar wanted to repay a soul who would come to be known in history as Agathiyar in a later birth after the latter had provided shelter and food so that Supramaniar could continue his tavam or austerities, Agathiyar was way past his 60 years. Promising him that they shall meet in another birth, Supramaniar gifted him the state of Jothi in the next birth. 

I am 64 this year and am battling the odds as Agathiyar forewarned us. My whole body is currently in pain as if one were to wring a wet cloth. My body is numb at all times. All the joints hurt and are affecting movement and mobility. But all these were foretold by Lord Murugan earlier in 2018 when he came to heal my back pain and Agathiyar when he came to pacify me and remove my fear of death by giving me a brief moment and sample of lying as a corpse in 2022. At 4 a.m., on Sunday, the wind in my stomach forced me out of bed and brought on purging. My body became numb right to the toes. I lay on the toilet floor for moments till my wife came looking up on me. But as usual, it was blissful. It subsided shortly. I had to cancel attending an event of an AVM member the evening before too as maneuvering a manual car in the traffic jam on a late Saturday afternoon would aggravate my situation.

THE HUMAN BIRTH AND ITS POSSIBILITIES

Karma is the blueprint for birth. Burn away karma and there is no birth. The Siddha comes to help us cleanse it while our own efforts initially in pursuing yoga burn away the past karma and finally by divine grace the mystic energies wipe the slate clean and bring on an immense transformation within and without. Hence Karma is not to be brushed aside easily. Its effects are far-reaching and deep, as I came to know later. If Lord Shiva had to come in my dream in 1988 to have me stop all my readings and discussions as I had so many observations that needed to be explained and that were not available to me then neither by reading nor discussions, it was only to make me aware of the underlying factor or denominator known as karma that would shape others lives. I learned about it some 14 years later when I went for a Nadi reading. I understood why I saw family and friends kneel before its impact. 

Agathiyar had explained and bridged the nature of the Udal or physical body, Uyir or the breath, and the Atma or Soul earlier, with the common denominator or factor - karma - that runs across all three and that ascertains the outcome of each. Sanchita karma determines our fate, starting its journey with the planting of the seed the Kutastha, the seed that determines the gender, where, and to whom we are to be born, and the manifestation of all that cannot be changed or altered. These are decided by the individual Atma sitting in discussion with the Paramatma and the council of elders, much in advance even before taking birth charting the course either for the enhancement and betterment of an individual to evolve speedily or to enrich it with the relevant experiences and learning gained from the desires and pleasures that are in waiting. A portion of the Sanchita karma known as Prarabdha karma determines the course of action throughout one's life. This is free will.

The 5 elements that form the Pindam or solid matter in the womb upon conception are sourced from both parents in a unique proportion. If karma or the divine hand intervenes at this juncture it could either upset or enhance this division of growth particles respectively and influence the physical state of the growing embryo. The Atma, before coming into this body or Udal which is a composite of karma taking the desired form, accepts to work with the individual "I". The individual "I" comes with the baggage of karma, the size determined by his or her willingness to shoulder in this birth. The Atma stays with the individual until the "I" in him or her surfaces. Then the Atma steps aside and backs off behind the veil, watching the individual live out his or her desires and urges. He lives out his karma. The Atma though keeps watching over him without interfering. The Atma either reveals itself again when he has exhausted all his vasanas, desires, urges, and wants or "awakens" when the time-space is right or once he surrenders his "I". 

If we had thought that the Atma carries the baggage with it, Agathiyar corrected us telling us that the Atma does not carry our past karma but helps bring us out of it. For some, the Atma brings them to the Siddha path. The Siddhas might want to convince some to take the leap. But even the Atma and the Siddhas do not intervene and let fate deal with the individual if he or she does not give heed to their advice and warnings after several attempts, says Tavayogi of some individuals.

சில மனிதர்களின் பிறப்பு அவர் இச்சைகாக, ஆசைக்காக. அவன் ஆசைகாகப் பிறந்தான். ஆசையில் திளைத்து விட்டு மூடித்து விடுவான். அவன் போக்கில் விட்டு விடு. இல்லாவிட்டால் வினை தொடர்ந்து கொண்டே வரும். 

Souls arrive at an assembly of Rishis, after passing through a phase called death. They wait to be summoned by the Rishis. Upon discussion with the Rishis, they move on to take their next birth. The outcome of this meeting with the Rishis determines all the factors that come into play in taking a human birth. In his 5 tenets to mankind presented to this parliament of Rishis who guide the souls on the next course of action at the Tamil Sangam, Agathiyar mentions that with his purpose known, man is dutybound to thank the divine creator or energy that brought forth his birth through consultation with the lunar forefathers and their angelic hierarchies that co-exist with us here. Most of us are ignorant of these forces that assist us to evolve further. Betty J Eadie who came back from a near-death experience reveals the secrets of heaven in her book "The Awakening Heart - My Continuing Journey to Love", a Pocket Star Book, 1996. She says just as we have choices here, we are also given choices in our father's abode. While some souls respond to God's call, volunteering and choosing to listen and accept his will before coming to earth, others receive a calling after they arrive, when their hearts open to god, through intense sufferings or through miracles, and eventually they become vessels of god themselves. The divine tells us repeatedly that they have taken birth as our children and grandchildren and keeps reminding us to take special care of them. I guess a seed is planted in them while in the womb of their mother that germinates with the coming of the guru later in life who brings an awareness of life, reveals their purpose, or revives the past memories in them at the right moment.  If these souls come desired by the divine for a mission, many others come desired by the parents as in the many stories we have heard. The parents are granted the boon of a divine child after undertaking and carrying out rituals and austerities and having pleased the divine. The divine could intervene later in an individual's journey too. Before the coming of the guru, the field is thoroughly rid of weeds as in bad habits, negative practices, false beliefs, etc tilling the soil and plowing it, ready to receive a new seed. The guru plants the seed within them that carries the unmanifested energy of the divine. When the surrounding is conducive and compatible the seed sprouts, under the watchful eyes of the guru, reaching out for the skies. The earlier seed that germinated into our "I" dies a natural death.  This is "Dying while Alive". Breaking the ground and sprouting out of the soil, life and the next course of action in this new journey are detailed and undertaken under the watchful eyes of the divine and the guru. Die-hard habits are knocked off.  A new blueprint is drawn up for him. A new life form emerges and we take on a new birth. A new star is born. He then grows up to make a name for himself bringing salvation for himself and enlightenment for others.

Then there are those accidental tourists who come too and leave abruptly fulfilling a brief need. Karma determines if the breath shall remain or leave that instant. It is said that we come with a certain number of breaths that once exhausted or used up, will result in our death. The Siddhas are known to increase this store of prana within to extend their lifespan or dwell in the state of samadhi forever. For most, phlegm or kapam becomes the death factor. For instance, even if he is hale and healthy the phlegm or kapam appears during the last moments of his worldly life and blocks his nasal passages shutting him down permanently. 

Karma if seen in its totality causes fear in us and dashes all our hopes of coming out of it. So is there no way out? Yes, there is. We can work on the Agamaya Karma that is taking place right now in this life with our approval. The decisions we make and our actions will alter the future, hence determining it in such a way as to attain the desired birth later. We take one to repay bad debts or take another to enjoy the pleasures that come along as a result of the good done in this birth. 

The divine gives sufficient space and shows ways to make good, redo, correct, and come out of the rut we are in because of our past doings. One who despises the life he has to live now can either work against his karma to bring a change, which is often an uphill fight and a battle lost unless he gains the favor and grace of the divine, or accept it and live through this predetermined life with the hope that things shall change for the better in a later birth. Or he could exhaust it in its entirety without interfering. In the former, we are given a tool called free will to make a better future for us. In the latter, one takes karma in his or her stride as agreed and submits to it. Saints either bring on the change and free themselves from the hold of karma and its cycle of birth and death or choose not to alter the divine law and see through its working. 

Then there are the Avatars. Annie Besant in "Avataras", The Theosophical Publishing House, 2002, describes the meaning of an Avatar as follows: tr meaning passing over; ava meaning descent. What brings forth an Avatar? The un-manifest takes the manifested form when righteousness is at its lowest ebb and evil reigns in the world. The needs of the world or cosmic necessities and the needs of its inhabitants propels the divine to descend. If the Avatars come for a common purpose usually for the upliftment of souls collectively or to release these souls from the shackles of tyranny and cruelty, heavenly beings or angels accompany individual souls in their journey, caring, educating, and bringing greater awareness to them. Heavenly beings or angels accompany these souls to help awaken them, rejoicing on seeing progress in the soul, encouraging, motivating, and reminding them that they are not alone. These spiritual beings are prepared to do their part too in God's plan. They help reconnect us to our spiritual selves whose memories we have lost. They are akin to the Siddhas. Just as Agathiyar said he had orchestrated all my experiences, Betty says our guardian angels do the same. They come along with us creating opportunities for us to learn and progress spiritually.

As Agathiyar asked we know our purpose here which was discussed in the midst of the Rishis at the level of the soul back then but was veiled upon birth to be rediscovered later in life, there is a reason why we are here now this instant. We are here now for our individual spiritual development and also collectively contribute to the well-being and awakening of others. God's will shapes our purpose says Betty. It is not necessary for us to know our purpose in its entirety. Just working on the task given to us from moment to moment is sufficient in justifying and fulfilling God's wishes. Betty says that she could connect with the divine and naturally be in touch with her spirit through prayer and moments of stillness. The people we need are sent to us at the right time for the right purpose. The like-minded fellowship comes about, again strengthening the spirit.  The power of prayers is felt by all in the congregation or assembly. As God gives us only that much that we can handle, as the spirit becomes stronger he gives us greater challenges. The spirit becomes stronger as a result of these challenges gaining Atma Balam. Gratitude helps us appreciate the abundance that god has given and brings about love. Soon we move on from self-centeredness to enveloping all. 

Complimenting the Avatars and the guardian angels, the Avesa are perfected men through whom god permeates and manifests bringing greater good to society and the world. The difference between them is that while the ego is nil in the former two, a portion of the ego remains in an Avesa. Now I have begun to understand why some religious and spiritual personalities can be arrogant. 

I was a bystander till Agathiyar pushed me to the forefront to do his job. We have a choice either to be passive participants, just looking out for ourselves and leading a mundane self-contained life, or an active one, helping others in any way and form. Agathiyar brought many realizations to the fore, pushing aside the veil of ignorance. I have come to tell myself that this was a purposeful birth. AVM has received the continued patronage of Kallar Ashram where my journey began under the tutorship of the late Tavayogi Thangarasan Adigal. With Mataji Sarojini Ammaiyar heading the establishment now, we look forward to seeing her visit us on Saturday 4th October. Maybe Agathiyar has more good news for us.