Friday 12 June 2015

THE SONG OF BLISS (PART 3)


Thayumanavar (1706 – 1744) was a Tamil philosopher and Hindu saint who propagated the Saiva Siddhanta philosophy. He wrote several hymns of which only 1,454 are now available. His first three songs were sung 250 years ago at the Congress of Religions in Trichinopoly. Thayumanavar's key teaching is to discipline the mind, control desires and meditate peacefully. About the human being and his mind, he remarked, “It is easy to control an elephant, catch a tiger's tail, grab a snake and dance, transmigrate into another body, walk on water or sit on the sea; but it is more difficult to control the mind and remain quiet.”
… the dharmakartha of the sacred Vedaranyam temple welcomes Muthukrishnan Naicker, the king of Trichy. The grand reception impresses the feudal ruler so much that he makes the temple official his minister. In course of time, the minister marries, and in answer to his prayers a son is born and named Thayumanavan. Meanwhile, Muthukrishnan Naicker passes away. Soon after, the brilliant Thayumanavan is appointed minister by the king’s successor. Thanks to his brilliant ideas, the kingdom advances in several aspects, but the minister’s mind is ever after seeking the philosophical meaning of life. When one day the king asks him about a famine in an area of the kingdom, Thayumanavan squeezes a cloth and the arid area gets rains aplenty!
This miracle understandably astonishes the king and he recognises the greatness of his minister and becomes his disciple. Soon Thayumanavan begins visiting sacred places, meeting people and teaching them values. He prevents animal sacrifice to appease the gods and while on a visit to Rameswaram hit by famine he brings rains through his prayers. Soon he sheds his mortal form and is revered as Saint Thayumanavar….
Source:  http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/chennai/chen-cinema/thayumanavar-1938/article4061489.ece
Thayumanavar lets us on a secret - the reason for taking birth again and again and hence shows us a way to end this cycle of birth.

வேண்டா விருப்பும் வெறுப்பும்  - அந்த 
வில்லங்கத்தாலே விளையும் ஜனனம் 
ஆண்டான் உரைத்த படியே  - சற்றும் 
அசையாது  இருந்துகொள்  அறிவு ஆகி நெஞ்சே 

Birth arises because of our likes and dislikes. As the guru spoke, be still.

Here is the full song,
Tamil verses courtesy of http://www.shaivam.org/tamil/sta_tayumanavar3_u.htm,
translation courtesy of http://www.mountainman.com.au/thayumanavar/tay_1416.htm
56.ஆனந்தக்களிப்பு
56.Rejoicing in Bliss
சங்கர சங்கர சம்பு - சிவ
சங்கர சங்கர சங்கர சம்பு
Sankara, Sankara, Sambhu, Siva,
Sankara, Sankara, Sankara, Sambhu (Chorus)

ஆதி அனாதியு மாகி - எனக்
கானந்த மாயறி வாய்நின்றி லங்குஞ் 
சோதி மவுனியாய்த் தோன்றி - அவன் 
சொல்லாத வார்த்தையைச் சொன்னாண்டி தோழி - (சங்கர) 1
He is the Beginning;
He is the Beginningless;
He is the Bliss;
He is the Knowledge
He is the Light;
As a Silent One He appeared;
And spoke a word unspeakable
O, Maid! (Chorus)
சொன்னசொல் லேதென்றுசொல்வேன் - என்னைச் 
சூதாய்த் தனிக்கவே சும்மா இருத்தி 
முன்னிலை ஏது மில்லாதே - சுக 
முற்றச்செய் தேஎனைப் பற்றிக்கொண் டாண்டி - (சங்கர) 2.
What the word was
I will say;
In guile He called me apart,
And in impassivity made me sit;
And nothing whatever before me,
He enveloped me in Bliss Perfect,
And seized hold of me tight;
O, Maid! (Chorus)
பற்றிய பற்றற உள்ளே - தன்னைப் 
பற்றச் சொன் னான்பற்றிப் பார்த்த இடத்தே 
பெற்றதை ஏதென்று சொல்வேன் - சற்றும் 
பேசாத காரியம் பேசினான் தோழி - (சங்கர) 3.
Giving up desires within
That give self-attachment,
He asked me to clutch at Him tight;
And when I did so,
How will I speak what I got?
He spoke words hardly speakable ever;
O Maid! (Chorus)
பேசா இடும்பைகள் பேசிச் - சுத்தப் 
பேயங்க மாகிப் பிதற்றித் திரிந்தேன் 
ஆசா பிசாசைத் துரத்தி - ஐயன் 
அடியிணைக் கீழே அடக்கிக்கொண் டாண்டி - (சங்கர) 4.
Speaking evil words unspeakable,
I went about raving
Like a veritable devil's mate;
He the Lord drove away the devil of desire
And kept me guarded close under His Feet,
O Maid! (Chorus)
அடக்கிப் புலனைப் பிரித்தே - அவ 
னாகிய மேனியில் அன்பை வளர்த்தேன் 
மடக்கிக்கொண் டான்என்னைத் தன்னுள் - சற்றும் 
வாய்பேசா வண்ணம் மரபுஞ்செய் தாண்டி - (சங்கர) 5.
Detaching myself from the senses,
I suppressed them,
And fostered my love
For the body that is He;
And lo! He contained me entire within Him;
And established the law that I should not speak.
(Chorus)
மரபைக் கெடுத்தனன் கெட்டேன் - இத்தை 
வாய்விட்டுச் சொல்லிடின் வாழ்வெனக் கில்லை 
கரவு புருஷனும் அல்லன் - என்னைக் 
காக்குந் தலைமைக் கடவுள்காண் மின்னே - (சங்கர) 6.
I broke the understanding
And I was ruined;
If I speak this out,
No more is there life for me;
A paramour He is not;
He is the Supreme God
That protecteth me,
O, My Pet! (Chorus)
கடலின் மடைவிண்ட தென்ன - இரு 
கண்களும் ஆனந்தக் கண்ணீர் சொரிய 
உடலும் புளகித மாக - என 
துள்ளமுருக உபாயஞ்செய் தாண்டி - (சங்கர) 7.
Unto opening the flood-gates of the Ocean
My twin eyes streamed in tears of joy;
My body horripillated in ecstasy
And my heart melted in love of Him;
Towards such an end, He worked some trick.
(Chorus)
உள்ளது மில்லது மாய்முன் - உற்ற 
உணர்வது வாயுன் னுளங்கண்ட தெல்லாந் 
தள்ளெனச் சொல்லிஎன் ஐயன் - என்னைத் 
தானாக்கிக் கொண்ட சமர்த்தைப்பார் தோழி - (சங்கர) 8.
"Whatever your awareness knew,
Whatever your heart saw,
Truth and untruth,
Discard all"
Thus my Lord made me His own;
See, how clever my Lord is!
O, Maid! (Chorus)
பாராதி பூதநீ யல்லை - உன்னிப் 
பாரிந் திரியங் கரணநீ யல்லை 
ஆராய் உணர்வுநீ என்றான் - ஐயன் 
அன்பாய் உரைத்த சொல் லானந்தந் தோழி - (சங்கர) 9.
Thou art not the earth
And the rest of elements;
Think sharp;
Thou art not the sense organs
Internal or external;
Thou art the Awareness
That enquireth;
The loving words the Lord Said
Art Bliss indeed;
O, Maid! (Chorus)
அன்பருக் கன்பான மெய்யன் - ஐயன் 
ஆனந்த மோனன் அருட்குரு நாதன் 
தன்பாதஞ் சென்னியில் வைத்தான் - என்னைத் 
தானறிந் தேன்மனந் தானிறந் தேனே - (சங்கர) 10.
My Lord, indeed, is dear unto His devotees
He is Truth embodied;
He is the Silent One of Bliss
He is the Gracious Master Guru;
He placed His Feet on my forehead;
I knew myself
And became dead to my mind. (Chorus)
இறப்பும் பிறப்பும் பொருந்த - எனக் 
கெவ்வணம் வந்ததென் றெண்ணியான் பார்க்கில் 
மறப்பும் நினைப்புமாய் நின்ற - வஞ்ச 
மாயா மனத்தால் வளர்ந்தது தோழி - (சங்கர) 11.
When I think of it
How this birth and death came to me,
I realized,
It is all by this wily mayaic mind,
That alternateth between remembering (1)
and forgetting (2)
(Chorus)
மனதேகல் லாலெனக் கன்றோ - தெய்வ
மவுன குருவாகி வந்துகை காட்டி
எனதாம் பணியற மாற்றி - அவன்
இன்னருள் வெள்ளத் திருத்திவைத் தாண்டி - (சங்கர) 12.
Into my mind as the Wild Banyan Tree,
He came, the Silent Guru Divine;
And with His hand gesture (of Cin Mudra)
Erased my Karma entire;
And in the sweet Waters of His Grace;
He placed me;
O, Maid! (Chorus)
அருளால் எவையும்பார் என்றான் - அத்தை 
அறியாதே சுட்டிஎன் அறிவாலே பார்த்தேன் 
இருளான பொருள்கண்ட தல்லால் - கண்ட 
என்னையுங் கண்டிலன் என்னேடி தோழி - (சங்கர) 13.
"See thou through the eyes of Grace", He said;
Knowing not how to do it
I saw through my knowledge, differentiated;
And I saw nothing but darkness then;
Even I, the seer, was not seen to be;
How strange is all this!
O, Maid! (Chorus)
என்னையுந் தன்னையும் வேறா - உள்ளத் 
தெண்ணாத வண்ணம் இரண்டற நிற்கச் 
சொன்னது மோஒரு சொல்லே-அந்தச் 
சொல்லால் விளைந்த சுகத்தைஎன் சொல்வேன் - (சங்கர) 14.
"Think not 'I' and 'Thou' as Two;
Stand as One in union inextricable"
All these, He said in One Word;
But how shall I describe the felicity
That was of that Word born?
(Chorus)
விளையுஞ் சிவானந்த பூமி - அந்த 
வெட்ட வெளிநண்ணித் துட்ட இருளாங் 
களையைக் களைந்துபின் பார்த்தேன் - ஐயன் 
களையன்றி வேறொன்றுங் கண்டிலன் தோழி - (சங்கர) 15.
The fertile land of Sivananda Bliss
To that Vast Void I went;
There I uprooted the evil weed of dark ignorance
And then I looked round again;
I saw nothing else
But the Lord's beauty
O, Maid! (Chorus)
கண்டார் நகைப்புயிர் வாழ்க்கை - இரு 
கண்காண நீங்கவுங் கண்டோந் துயில்தான் 
கொண்டார்போற் போனாலும் போகும் - இதிற் 
குணமேது நலமேது கூறாய்நீ தோழி - (சங்கர) 16.
The fertile land of Sivananda BlissTo that Vast Void I went;
There I uprooted the evil weed of dark ignorance
And then I looked round again;
I saw nothing else
But the Lord's beauty
O, Maid! (Chorus)
நலமேதும் அறியாத என்னைச் - சுத்த 
நாதாந்த மோனமாம் நாட்டந்தந் தேசஞ் 
சலமேதும் இல்லாமல் எல்லாம் - வல்லான் 
தாளால்என் தலைமீது தாக்கினான் தோழி - (சங்கர) 17.
On me who knoweth good none,
He bestowed His glance
Of Nadanta Silentness Pure;
And all agitation ceasing,
The Omnipotent One placed
His Feet on my head and blessed,
O Maid! (Chorus)
தாக்குநல் லானந்த சோதி - அணு 
தன்னிற் சிறிய எனைத்தன் னருளாற் 
போக்கு வரவற் றிருக்குஞ் - சுத்த 
பூரண மாக்கினான் புதுமைகாண் மின்னே - (சங்கர) 18.
He, the goodly Bliss-Light,
By His Grace He made me,
Who is smaller than atom,
Into the Perfection
That knoweth no birth and death
A miracle it is!
O Maid! (Chorus)
ஆக்கி அளித்துத் துடைக்குந் - தொழில் 
அத்தனை வைத்துமெள் ளத்தனை யேனுந் 
தாக்கற நிற்குஞ் சமர்த்தன் - உள்ள 
சாட்சியைச் சிந்திக்கத் தக்கது தோழி - (சங்கர) 19.
He createth, preserveth and dissolveth;
All these He doth; and yet standeth unwearied;
What a doughty Being is He!
Thy heart is the witness;
Ask indeed of it to think;
O Maid! (Chorus)
சிந்தை பிறந்ததும் ஆங்கே - அந்தச்
சிந்தை இறந்து தெளிந்ததும் ஆங்கே
எந்த நிலைகளும் ஆங்கே - கண்ட
யான்றான் இரண்டற் றிருந்தும் ஆங்கே - (சங்கர) 20.
There it was that thought was born;
There it was that thought died;
There it was that thought, purified, reawakened;
There it was I saw the states all;
There it was that I remained as one in Him.
(Chorus)
ஆங்கென்றும் ஈங்கென்றும் உண்டோ - சச்சி 
தானந்த சோதி அகண்ட வடிவாய் 
ஓங்கி நிறைந்தது கண்டால் - பின்னர் 
ஒன்றென் றிரண்டென் றுரைத்திட லாமோ - (சங்கர) 21.
Is there anything as 'here' and 'there';
When the Light of Truth-Knowledge-Bliss
Riseth to cosmic dimensions and filleth everywhere;
Is there anything to say: 'One' and 'Two'?
(Chorus)
என்றும் அழியும்இக் காயம் - இத்தை 
ஏதுக்கு மெய்யென் றிருந்தீர் உலகீர் 
ஒன்றும் அறியாத நீரோ - யமன் 
ஓலை வந்தாற்சொல்ல உத்தரம் உண்டோ - (சங்கர) 22.
Any day will this body perish;
Why did thou hold it as real,
Ye Men of the world?
Can thou, who know so little,
Have the answer to Death's summons
When it doth arrive? (Chorus)
உண்டோ நமைப்போல வஞ்சர் மலம் 
ஊறித் ததும்பும் உடலைமெய் யென்று 
கொண்டோ பிழைப்பதிங் கையோ - அருட் 
கோலத்தை மெய்யென்று கொள்ளவேண் டாவோ - (சங்கர) 23.
Are there any men
Of self-deception like up?
How can you hold this body real
When it is so full of impurities?
Should you not consider the Divine Form as real?
(Chorus)
வேண்டா விருப்பும் வெறுப்பும் - அந்த 
வில்லங்கத் தாலே விளையும் சனனம் 
ஆண்டான் உரைத்த படியே - சற்றும் 
அசையா திருந்துகொள் ளறிவாகி நெஞ்சே - (சங்கர) 24.
Likes and dislikes arise
From that compulsive impediment (birth and death)
Life but shapeth as the Creator Ordaineth;
Be in total quietude, impassive,
Thy thoughts filled with Knowledge Supreme
(Chorus)
அறிவாரும் இல்லையோ ஐயோ - என்னை 
யாரென் றறியாத வங்கதே சத்தில் 
வறிதேகா மத்தீயிற் சிக்கி - உள்ள 
வான்பொருள் தோற்கவோ வந்தேன்நான் தோழி - (சங்கர) 25.
Is there no one to recognize me?
In the body-land where none knoweth me
Needless am I caught in the fire of lust,
To lose my possessions heavenly;
Is it for this I came?
O Maid! (Chorus)
வந்த வரவை மறந்து - மிக்க 
மாதர்பொன் பூமி மயக்கத்தில் ஆழும் 
இந்த மயக்கை அறுக்க - எனக் 
கெந்தை மெய்ஞ்ஞான எழில்வாள் கொடுத்தான் - (சங்கர) 26.
Forgetting why I came,
I was caught total
In the allurement of women, gold and land;
To cut this glittering fetter asunder,
My Father granted me the Sword of Jnana True.
(Chorus)
வாளாருங் கண்ணியர் மோகம் - யம 
வாதைக் கனலை வளர்க்குமெய் என்றே 
வேளா னவனுமெய் விட்டான் - என்னில் 
மிக்கோர் துறக்கை விதியன்றோ தோழி - (சங்கர) 27.
The lust for women of sword-sharp eyes
Will feed the fire of Death's ways in the body;
It is realizing the truth of this
That the God of Love himself gave up his body;
If so, is it not proper for the goodly men to renounce?
O Maid! (Chorus)
விதிக்கும் பிரபஞ்ச மெல்லாஞ் - சுத்த 
வெயில்மஞ்ச ளென்னவே வேதாக மங்கள் 
மதிக்கும் அதனை மதியார் - அவர் 
மார்க்கந்துன் மார்க்கஞ்சன் மார்க்கமோ மானே - (சங்கர) 28.
All the expansive world of matter created
Are unto the dew before the sun's rays pure;
Thus do the Vedas and Agamas firm hold;
Those who this respect are not of ways devious;
Will they ever be of the Path Righteous?
O, fawn-like Maid! (Chorus)
துன்மார்க்க மாதர் மயக்கம் - மனத் 
தூயர்க்குப் பற்றாது சொன்னேன் சனகன் 
தன்மார்க்க நீதிதிட் டாந்தம் - அவன் 
தானந்த மான சதானந்த னன்றோ - (சங்கர) 29.
The allurements of evil women
Are not for the men of pure mind, I say;
The conduct of Janaka is an example high;
Is he not the man in the enjoyment
Of Bliss Finale?
(Chorus)
அன்றென்றும் ஆமென்றும் உண்டோ - உனக் 
கானந்தம் வேண்டின் அறிவாகிச் சற்றே 
நின்றால் தெரியும் எனவே - மறை 
நீதிஎம் மாதி நிகழ்த்தினான் தோழி - (சங்கர) 30.
Is there any, 'no' and 'yes'?
If Bliss thou seek,
Stand awhile as Knowledge True;
Then wilt Thou know;
Thus did the scriptural truth
Our Primal One declare;
O Maid! (Chorus)