Wednesday 22 February 2017

GIVE ACCORDING TO THE VESSEL

Once when my wife and I were with Dr Krishnan sitting at his office seeing him regarding an astrological reading, he mentioned to me about a Swami who was staying in his office space. I was told that the Swami was running an ashram for Agathiyar in the neighbouring state. He was currently in India and would be back soon. Dr Krishnan knowing that I worshipped Agathiyar wanted me to meet him. He told me he would inform me once the Swami was back from India.

I had given up seeing religious man and going to religious events after I returned from my second pilgrimage to India in 2005. In fact Agathiyar in the Nadi had wanted me to come to Yercaud Hills; Kollimalai; Chidambaram; meet a Swami who ran an establishment in Turaiyur; meet another in Kollimalai; and another religious head at Kundrakudi. I told Agathiyar that I had him, hence I am not going anywhere henceforth. If he was to give me anything over there at these places, he could always give it to me in the confines of my home too. I told him not to ask me to go any place any more. I stated my decision then. I guess Agathiyar respected my stand, since he did not speak about these issues and stopped calling me over after that.

The only other time he called me over to India was to go visit my guru Tavayogi Thangarasan Adigal at Kallar Ashram. That instruction in the Nadi came as a surprise to me after all the years. A fear crept into me. That was the time when devotees returning from Kallar mentioned to me that Tavayogi looked sick and pale and was ill. When Agathiyar sort of reminded me to go see him, I feared for the worst. I packed my bags and my family and left for Kallar Ashram immediately. It was in October of 2013.

On arrival at the ashram Tavayogi greeted us and he looked hale and healthy. Not that we wanted him to be sick, but all the stories about him turned out to be untrue. We were glad that he was well. During our 5 day stay there, he followed us to Ooty 52 km away, and brought us to the Nattadreswarar Temple too some 97kms away.

When Dr Krishnan told me that he would inform me when the Swami was back from India, although I did not want to see the Swami, I was reluctant to say anything because I was indebted to Dr Krishnan in many ways. So I nodded a yes hoping that he would forget about it.

The following Sunday he did call me to remind that I could see the Swami at 5 in the evening. I had no grounds to turn down the invitation as it was a Sunday and I was at home. 

I turned up at his office apartment exactly at 5 to find them entering their office premises at the some time too. Dr Krishnan introduced me to the Swami mentioning that I was in the Siddha path too and that I wanted to see him. As the Swami and I took our seat in the visitors lobby, Dr Krishnan led a couple who had been waiting outside his office into his room and closed the door. A Vastu consultant and his wife who were occupying another office space went into their room too, leaving the door ajar. I was left alone with the Swami. 

To break the ice I asked about his Ashram since Dr Krishnan had only briefly mentioned about him. He told me he had 30 students under him. He was on this path some 35 years. He was now looking for a house/ room where he could continue his tavam or tapas. In fact they had just returned after scouting for a room elsewhere. Meanwhile he was occupying an office space with the Dr. Immediately I asked myself if his ashram was not conducive? 

Then he turned to me and asked me what I was doing (my mode of worship)? I replied that I had a statue of Agathiyar in bronze at my home and was conducting libation besides conducting homam. Immediately he took me to task condemning idol worship. He began to quote Siddhar Sivavakkiyar's songs. This went on for some time although I mentioned to him that Agathiyar had instructed me to have his statue made and to worship him. But he continued dishing out more songs from Sivavakkiyar.

I then told him he might not need idol worship but I was only 5 years into the path and that I needed it. But he would not listen. He continued rattling. Finally I shut my eyes and let him rattle. I do not know how long I stayed silent and withdrawn for once I opened my eyes he was nowhere to be seen. I looked around. The Vastu consultant and his wife were still in their office going about with their business. I doubt if they knew what happened outside as they looked unperturbed. The door to Dr Krishnan's room was still closed although I could hear their murmurs very faintly outside. 

I left the premises with disbelief wondering what had taken place, why it had to take place, what was the lesson for me and what was the lesson for the Swami? As for me there was some good in the showdown with him at Dr Krishnan's office although initially I returned home sad and unhappy at the turn of events. That evening I looked through my library of books searching for Sivavakiyar's songs and read all 524 verses in one sitting.


The following week I attended the 8th Sri Agathiyar Guru Puja at the Sri Sakthi Karpaga Vinayagar Temple. Although I had made a resolution not to attend any religious functions, Tavayogi called me from Kallar Ashram and informed me that he had received an invitation for this function and asked that I attend on his behalf. I had to oblige my Guru. Both me and my wife attended the event. As we arrived at the temple, Kunangkudi Masthaan's Agathiyar Sadagam was being recited by those present. We joined in the singing. A little while later who should I see walk into the temple accompanied by Dr Krishnan but the Swami who condemned idol worship! Dr Krishnan nodded at me as he walked by and found himself a spot to sit. I was surprised to see the Swami there, after the shelling he gave me for praying to statues. During tea break I exchanged some words with the Dr, but the Swami and I did not meet again. I came back home trying to figure what could have happened? 


Sivavakiyar was a radical Siddha. One needs to understand at what stage of his life he had come out with this songs of revelation. Tavayogi too during his visit to Malaysia in last June, ask us to understand at what stage did Sivavakiyar come out with these revelations through these songs and to whom it was directed? What was the tatwa behind it? It is pretty apparent that his songs and also those of the other Siddhas are only for those who have matured spiritually. It is not for the beginners. Similarly many doctrines and teachings are for the spiritually advanced souls.


A good speaker is one who studies the target group or audience and is willing to change the contents of his speech accordingly. Tavayogi says, "Paathiram Paarthu Alanthu Podu", which I took for to mean give accordingly to the size of the vessel (as in giving alms). But he corrected me saying it is not the size of the vessel that is meant here but the ability of one to receive what was given (the knowledge). Dr Jana was told the same by Tavayogi: Paar- observe; Thiram- worth/value; Arinthu- understand/learn; alanthu podu - sums up to observe and understand a person's needs and to give. Tavayogi also mentions that one has to wait at least 12 years to receive the Gurus' teachings. During this time the student would have progressed well on the spiritual path and would be ready to accept the radical views of the Siddhas.

Tavayogi and Mataji who advocated the Jnana Marga during their speeches in 2010 asked devotees to come out of temple worship and into the Jnana Margam, had to tone down their speeches as many in Malaysia were still into temple and idol worship. Today Tavayogi too runs a temple cum ashram.


H.H. Swami Guhabhaktananda Saraswathy Maharaj of the Divine Life Society Malaysia, had at one time advocated that we build more temples in Malaysia.

The Siddhas did not leave the poor souls who were on the lower rungs of the ladder, who were lost and were finding their way groping in the dark to find their own way or desert them. They had a very fine system in place. Just as in the academic institutions we have the three grades, elementary, intermediate and advanced stages in teaching subjects and several standards in acquiring a formal education, appropriate for each age group and the ability of the students to absorb what is being taught, the Siddhas too had laid out four divisions on the spiritual path namely: Sariyai, Kriyai, Yogam and Jnanam appropriate for each state and stage of the devotee. Hence the Siddhas had created a wonderful process for spiritual development where we are free to choose where and at which point we want to enter the stream or path according to our ability to comprehend and understand. 

This division applies in the life of an ashramite too where he is required to go through each stage. The student who has just arrived at the ashram is first given chores to do; then he helps out with the rituals; slowly he learns the techniques of Yoga and Pranayama; and finally he receives Jnana from his Guru.

An average man has to go through life and its various asramas: Brahmacharya (student), Grihastha (householder), Vanaprastha (retired) and Sannyasa (renunciation). He needs to carry out his responsibilities and exhaust his karma. Slowly he moves on to the final state of renunciation. My father left the family to serve a guru at his ashram in India. After some time the guru asked him to return home mentioning that he had many responsibilities towards the family. Only after fulfilling our duties could we then sit and watch the world of illusion or Maya go by, watching God's play.



Adopting the sastras is a necessary means to achieve one's wishes. Just as the sastras and rituals vary for each objective targeted, the spiritual path too is varied. In this podcast Aasan TR addresses certain issues in devotion and spirituality. Just as Siddhar Sivavakiyar was a radical Bharathi too was considered a radical in his circles for being blunt and honest. Both of these Siddhas have exposed the many practises held dear and close to our hearts. Their teachings is not for the faint hearted.