Monday 24 July 2017

LETTING GO

When I had a toothache some years back, the dentist told me there was inflammation and pus in my gums right below my tooth. After treating it with an antibiotic and several visits later the pain and problem still persisted. When the pus kept forming and the pain became unbearable, I told the dentist to remove it, although she hesitated telling me it was a good tooth. When I insisted, she extracted the tooth. The pus and pain stopped. 

Similarly I realized that a devotee too, however good, should go, if he is doing damage to the path or marga.

Many arrived at Supramania Swami's home in Nachananthal and later at his kudil in Tiruvannamalai seeking to know their future through astrology; seeking talisman to ward off evil and negative forces; seeking yantras to worship and mantras to chant.

Many arrived at Tavayogi's ashram seeking instant and immediate remedies and cures for their illnesses; seeking solace and solutions for their daily petty problems; seeking to see the Jeeva Nadi for a prediction; and some turning up out of curiosity.

Sadly as both Swami's told me non came seeking the knowledge they had to offer.  

Many having felt disappointed in not receiving what they came for, left Tavayogi. Among them some did damage to his reputation, speaking ill of him. Similarly some devotees who accompanied Tavayogi on his visits to Malaysia, used him for ulterior purposes. But Tavayogi took everything in his stride, often reminding me that if you are serving the public you will have to face all these accusations and bad mouthing.

Soon I learnt how difficult it was to be a public figure, trying to satisfy the public with their myriad of needs and daily wants. The irony was that they came to Agathiyar and Tavayogi seeking material gains forgetting that the Siddhas have transcended these material needs. They should target their questions instead to successful businessmen rather than approach a turavi or mendicant for guidance.

I learnt to be extra wary and cautious of people who turn up at an ashram and bad mouth about the previous ashram they were attached to, condemning the guru and the practices. It would only be a matter of time when they begin to belittle the new establishment. They would have stayed at the ashram, living on food provided through charity from the public, during the duration of their stay. The least they could do in return for the food and shelter they received, is to leave silently if they felt that they did not like it there, and not do damage. I would consider them as ungrateful.

Traveling the Siddha path has exposed me to many masters and aspirants, directly and indirectly. It has been a steep learning curve for me, something Agathiyar wants me to know from the confines of my home.