Friday 15 February 2019

FROM HOME TO PEEDHAM

The idea in coming to the siddhas, sadly for most is to hope that the siddhas can settle their debts, cure their terminal illness, or remove their sufferings etc immediately. This was hinted to me by an elderly man back in 2005 when I visited Tavayogi who was staying at a Peedham then. He came over to me upon being introduced and asked me what was my problem numerous times. I did not go there with a problem. I just wanted to meet Tavayogi. He kept insisting that I had a problem, and that was the reason I came. After further denial he finally opened up telling me that people always came with problems. Traveling the path I came to know the truth in his words.

As both Tavayogi and Agathiyar say, they never came for jnana to learn the traits of the siddhas nor to gain experience similar to what they had gone through. Even if they came for jnana, they were more eager to set up peedhams and head it, as it came with the glamour and attention from the followers. Tavayogi had mooted me to carry out many things among them: bringing my family to the path; he mooted me to perform homa and he ask that I speak about the siddhas. He reprimanded us, reminding us to never to fall at his feet, not to perform pata puja or homage to his feet, and never to idolized him. Never had he at any moment told me to start a peedham. When many took the opportunity to bring him to officiate their peedham all over Malaysia during his many visits, it never occurred to me to start one either.

I never did like to start a peedham then and even now. The reasons are many. I saw how difficult it was for Tavayogi to gather funds and good people to assist him in building his ashram. I saw the numerous problems he faced including those created by others in sabotaging the venture. I have seen temple committees fight among themselves for post and power. And most importantly having struggled to build a temple, they were struggling further to upkeep the facilities. They needed further funds to maintain the structure; provide amenities including water and electricity and more funds to carry out the nitya or daily pujas if there was one. All these factors drove me away from engaging in starting a peedham or building a temple. I was pretty satisfied with what I had and how things went on at ATM.

Then it all fell into place on its own accord with the coming of many youngsters to my home. To identify the place I named my home Agathiyar Vanam Malaysia (AVM). Agathiyar later gave it a name - Jnana Kottam. I was too embarrassed to use it for I knew my standing. I personally felt we were not fit to use it, lest we tarnish the many genuine Jnana Kottams. Lord Muruga upgraded it naming it Agathiyar Tapovanam Malaysia (ATM). But all these was taking place in a modest home. Many who turned up at our doorway imagining to see a big temple/ashram/peedham complex were let down and left in disappointment. They never came back. But we are extremely comfortable with this arrangement. The only problem is space constrain as Agathiyar tells us he shall bring in more people to participate in our puja and other events, hence the need to move to a larger premise. 

After a brief mention in my very first Nadi reading in 2002 that I build a temple for him, Lord Muruga brought up the subject again in early January 2018. Seeing my passiveness and non-response to the request he got Agathiyar to talk me into it. I recall how my mother approached Agathiyar to help me manage my anger knowing that I would listen to him. He did give me a long lecture on it back then. Lord Muruga took a similar approach. Again I kept quiet not responding. Agathiyar tells me that it shall happen. I have began to give in to their wishes. Knowing Agathiyar everything happens for a reason, I am prepared for anything. Let the one who moves in us and who moves us, also move the venue, as he pleases.