Sunday 29 August 2021

LEARNING THE LANGUAGE

As I came from a missionary school, I picked up learning to read and write the Tamil language that was an option and a part of the Pupils Own Language program or POL in school. I had my own cousin sister Miss Indra teach first and Mr. Raman and Mr. Arasu teach me later. Later on my interest in reading Tamil grew because I wanted to keep up to date with the Tamil movies. I was crazy about Tamil movies then learning about the movie, the director, the storyline, casts, songs, and music, etc. Family members would ask me for a review before they decided to see the movie. 

A seat in the very front cost 35 sen. A few rows back would cost 65 sen then in the sixties. A Ringgit would get you a seat right at the back which was first class and that was elevated. A Ringgit 25 sen would fetch a balcony seat. I was often spotted right in front of the stage by my relatives who would report to my family telling them that I would spoil my eyesight watching up close. To keep up to date with the news and development of the Tamil cinema industry I would buy and read the bilingual movie magazine Indian Movie News that was published in Singapore. Later I would borrow other magazines like Pesum Padam from my (Tamil teacher) cousin who used to subscribe to it. She was a fan of Sivaji Ganesan and her husband was a fan of MGR. That is how my interest in learning the language was kept alive. The Tamil cinema kept my interest in learning the language alive. But I never sat for any exam as I had already nine compulsory subjects on hand when I was in upper secondary. The director of the missionary school turned down an additional subject.

I had wanted to become a movie director back then. I also wanted to become a professional artist. Although it did not happen, I kept myself occupied drawing and painting to appease my appetite. I have my family members engage in it though these days. Gowri Arumugam who has made a name in the local music industry is my niece. When she had a request come her way from Tavayogi to sing a song for Agathiyar, she called me up and we put together an album "Agathiyar Geetham" that was well-received by listeners, Tavayogi and Agathiyar himself in a Nadi reading. My daughter who picked up art drew and designed the cover of the album. She has completed her degree in Mass Communication. She had reviewed Mani Ratnam's movies for her thesis. Although I did not make it to become a movie director I ended up making YouTube videos with Tavayogi and Agathiyar as my superstars. I am pleased, contented, and happy that my desires did materialize eventually in another form. Tavayogi too had his hands in the movies making a cameo appearance in two of the movies he financed before he came to be a mendicant. My late father used to run a theatre back in India back then. An uncle used to be a film distributor and owned a theatre here in the past.

When my interest switched to wanting to read about Indian customs and traditions and later about religion, whatever little Tamil I knew helped me through. The day I realized the importance of the language was when I read through the two volumes of the Thiruarutpa compiled by Ooran Adigal which I purchased after listening to the songs by Ramalinga Adigal on cassette. I was thankful that at least I could manage with whatever little I learned to read this great work and others. 

Later when I wanted to compile the many songs of the Siddhas that were scattered all over in numerous books into a compendium of songs in praise of the Siddhas, Kannan of Kelana Computer Center passed me the Sakthi font that aided me in writing in Tamil in the nineties.

But I had always been unsure as to which ண, ன, and ந; ல, ள, and ழ to use for instance. I got hold of books that clarified some of these issues. These days we have many aids besides these books. Google is very helpful in many ways. Online tutorials have been very helpful too. For instance the following channel.

I remember Jnana Jothiamma who was born in Kerala and studied in Chennai before she migrated to the USA tell me that she regretted not knowing to speak fluently and to read and write the language after she came to find that many Siddha works are written in Tamil. The most compassionate Agathiyar surprised her when he told her that she would possess and read the Nadi one day. When she replied that she was not proficient in the language, Agathiyar told her he would shower the gift of proficiency in the language on her. But for reasons only known to Agathiyar she had an untimely death. I believe she wanted him more than anything else. Agathiyar respected the soul and took it back. For instance, a brother-in-law of a friend was bedridden for two years. My friend and her husband referred to the Nadi and without fail carried out all the remedies given on his behalf. But yet he passed away. There is never a Nadi reading for a dead man but here was an exception. Agathiyar called my friends and told them "What am I to do? I know that you had done your best in consulting me and carrying out all the remedies. I told you to keep reminding him to have his spirits up. Only if he is strong can the remedies work and can I change his fate. But sadly his soul had given up. He surrendered and wanted to leave. I had to oblige him."

When Ramalinga Adigal asked if I was reading Tavayogi's book "Andamum Pindamum" which explained the Tattvas, I replied to him that I read but did not understand it. He told me to read it again. If I cannot comprehend then he shall come to explain. Agathiyar in asking us to read the Thirumanthiram which he regards as the Gnana Nool, asked us to read the original text and not those that come with explanations. Though we might not understand initially, he tells us that by reading regularly Thirumoolar or any author for the matter shall come to reveal the essence of their writings.

Tavayogi and Mataji who both had an M.A. in Tamil literature had the tools necessary to spread the teachings of the Siddhas. Tavayogi does not talk much but upon taking the stage can go for hours on hand. Both Tavayogi and Mataji are profound speakers with Mataji able to captivate the audience with her jokes as she keeps abreast with the times. When Nadi readers are trained to read the Nadi, Tavayogi was gifted the Jeeva Nadi that he read and deciphered later. Later he passed on the Nadi and the gift of reading it to Mataji. These reading sessions bring some revenue to the ashram.