Thursday 5 January 2023

LEAVING BEHIND THE MERITS

I was ranting my heart out to Mahindren having called him over after work last Tuesday. It was about life's purpose and having a purpose in all things. In taking birth to satisfy our desires, we took the human form, grew up and married, and left behind our children and for some they made a name for themselves that would be remembered for generations to come. There was a purpose and something left behind here. Coming to the path of the Siddhas we engaged in Sariyai, Kriyai, Yogam, and Gnanam and were made aware of the 5 tenets of Agathiyar given to mankind. This further strengthened our purpose here moving from looking after the self and kin to involving the community, society and animals and plants, and even the minerals too. Man then became divine in the eyes of people. Many Siddhas left behind scriptures, texts and songs, practices, methods, and means to achieve the evolved state, from a common man to a divine man and to a Siddha. There was a purpose and something left behind here too. Presently Agathiyar who initially asked us to carry out activities and responsibilities without any attachment, and later asked us to drop them too, had brought every activity to a standstill. He tells me nothing is necessary now. How can life go on without a purpose? What am I to leave behind as I am not engaged in the obvious - activity? So how do you pass your time? Of what purpose is it to sit still? Who gains by us sitting still? 

Pouring my thoughts to Mahindren he suddenly asked me what did Bhagawan Ramana leave behind. That stunned me. I knew it was Agathiyar questioning me through him. 

Just like Supramania Swami told me that even the tapas or austerities have to be left behind and gave me his merits then in the Hindi movie "Thank God", after playing the game that Chitra Gupta (CK) hosted and having collected merits the soul is asked if he wants to leave them behind for the next contestant, another soul that is struggling between the planes of life and death where the game shall determine if the soul returns or leaves for good. In this case the soul refuses to leave behind the merits and instead takes them with him. He comes to know about the road accident his family was involved in too and unfortunately he had missed the opportunity to save his wife and child who were to play the game too. He pleads with CK to save them. CK tells him it was too late to reverse the act of holding back onto his merits.

Agathiyar through Mahindren had knocked some sense in me much earlier when I was sulking that I had wasted precious time sitting at home due to the numerous lockdowns and movement restrictions at the peak of the pandemic. As I equated activity with progress I deemed myself as not having progressed. But Mahindren asked me to see it from another perspective. He told me that I had instead dropped so many things during this period. Agathiyar made me realize that engaging in service and activities doesn't reflect gaining momentum and speed in spiritualism but that spiritualism was all about dropping our hold and letting go. I am glad Agathiyar is with us knocking on our door often and constantly knocking our senses too.