Tuesday 24 January 2023

THE INVISIBLE GURU

Dattatreya who considered the Atman as his Guru, yet, learned wisdom from 24 individuals, who were, therefore, his Gurus too.

“My 24 gurus are: 1. Earth, 2. Water, 3. Air, 4. Fire, 5. Sky, 6. Moon, 7. Sun, 8. Pigeon, 9. Python, 10. Ocean, 11. Moth, 12. Bee, 13. Honey-gatherer, 14. Elephant, 15. Deer, 16. Fish, 17. Dancing-girl Pingala, 18. Raven, 19. Child, 20. Maiden, 21.Serpent, 22. An arrow-maker, 23. Spider and 24. Beetle.” (Source: https://sivanandayogafarm.org/)

We learn many things even from children if only we are willing to let go of our egos. My grandchildren in telling stories are fond of including the word "actually". If we amused them with stories, they amuse us with their versions of stories and storytelling. If as kids we had heard the story of Little Red Riding Hood numerous times without questioning the logic of these horrific and disastrous fairy tales, my eldest granddaughter who is 5 years old, in playing out this story with me, when asked how she was going to go through the woods to deliver the pastries that her mother made for granny with the wolf lurking behind the trees, immediately brought on laughter amongst us when she replied that she shall send it by Grab (a food delivery service). She is truly up to date with matters of the world. The other who is 2 years old surprised both me and her older sister as we drove to the park when she brought up the topic of pimples telling me that she has pimples on her face. These children do indeed have their eyes and ears opened at all times. Should not we too?

The teachings are everywhere. They are not restricted to gurus and sacred texts. Look around us and we shall learn a thing or two. Take the movie "Aladdin" for instance the conversations between him and the Genie shall register a thing or two in us. As Supramania Swami said we shall polish and work on it till it shines, a magic happens then, so too Aladdin rubs the magic lamp and befriends the Genie. The Siddhas too become our friends and are on hand to help us out. As the Genie says that people's wishes has to do with tons of money and power, and advises Aladdin not to drink from that cup as there is not enough money and power to satisfy anyone. He adds that except for the two wishes namely, that he can't make anybody love anybody or bring anybody from the dead, he can give everything else, I guess the same applies to the Siddhas too. They want us to escape from the clutches of money and power that are momentarily and can never satisfy our hunger nor bring us satisfaction but to ask for something more permanent and lasting. So when Agathiyar came around and asked the handful of us gathered that day as to what they wanted, some asked for relief from their immediate problems. Some asked for Mukthi or salvation. When he came to me I was lost for words as I had everything a man could possibly have. Beyond that, I had his grace and love. What more could I ask for? But he sat looking at me waiting for my reply. I began to churn my brain to see if something crops up. I thought service to him would be the ultimate wish and I spoke my mind. I told him I desired to take birth again and again and serve him as I did now. I was taken aback when he asked me if that is what I wanted? I knew that instant that what I asked for was not what he had intended for me. I kept silent. So did he. Later I spoke over the phone with Mahin regarding this and wondered if we should ask for Gnana or divine wisdom as Tavayogi always pointed out. The next time Agathiyar came he surprised me by telling me that I had asked for Gnanam. How did he know that I and Mahin had spoken about it? Did he eavesdrop on our telephone conversation?