Thursday 21 December 2023

A MOMENT IN THE COMPANY OF KIDS

Over the weekend when my two granddaughters were with us, the grandma was calling them to take a bath. As they were engrossed in coloring, I switched off the lights and drew the curtains shut, creating darkness so that they could not pursue their activity and would head for their bath. But the 3-year-old outsmarted me, telling me not to shut the lights and draw the curtain, for she might trip and fall on the way to the bathroom. Similarly, some time back, her mother was calling her for a bath. This same 3-year-old replied that she would bathe when she was older, quoting her mother, who used to tell her that she could do adult stuff when she was older. 

When I was with my grandchildren last evening, I called over the eldest and told her that there were three schools of fish in her aquarium. She corrected me that there was only one and the rest were an illusion. This 6-year-old surprised me by mentioning the word illusion. On further query, she told me that she learned it from one of the many field trips her parents took these children. Someone had told her that our perception differs according to where we stand. 

If the eldest and last obey and listen, the middle always gives excuses not to do a thing. But it is truly fun being around them. They unknowingly expose our weaknesses and we at times feel ashamed of our actions. Children have a tendency to explore and find out. They are hungry for knowledge. The elder picks up everything shown, given, or told her. The middle is more of an observer than a doer. The last rushes to participate, not wanting to be left out. 


If at times in disciplining my grandchildren I do shout at them, they still come around. I did ask them why they do that, knowing I shout at them. They whispered in my ears that it was because I played with them. Children indeed live in a strange world filled with adults and adults talk much of it that they cannot comprehend. They are left in the dark over many matters considered incomprehensible to them by us. Adults do not know how to speak with children. Instead, in trying to break the ice or impress them, they make fools of themselves. They try to imitate and mimic a child and fail badly. Children are intelligent and are like a sponge. Do not underestimate them. 

It is reassuring to know that what is being said in these pages of Siddha Heartbeat holds water, for how can we explain the continuous surge and spike in readership. 




I am also learning and analyzing whatever little experiences I gain sitting in the comfort of my home. As I had always frowned on those who chose to keep things secretive and deprive us of answers to our genuine intent to know walking the path, I decided to share whatever little I could make of life and its journey into the mysterious realm of the Siddhas. 

I do not claim I have answers to all the unknown occurrences and also the happenings that take place. But I am willing to learn together too. In sharing these posts, I realize that I am also learning when Agathiyar comes to explain and when I read up on the experiences I go through. I often call over Mahindren to discuss our thoughts, for he does tend to bring clarity to many matters and reaffirm my thoughts. Often many of these posts are an offshoot of our discussions, too.