Thursday 18 January 2024

WORKING ON THE INNER BEAUTY

Ramalinga Adigal's transformation is an excellent example of a man becoming God-man and rising to the divine state at par or rather gaining the attributes of God himself. We look towards Swami Saravanananda's beautiful  English rendering of the original in Tamil of Ramalinga  Adigal's "Arutperunjhoti  Agaval", published by the  Ramalinga  Mission, Madras to get some hints at what and how Ramalinga Adigal transformed himself. With "zeal or great energy or enthusiasm in pursuit of a cause or an objective, discernment or the ability to judge well, freed from religious bigotry, and freed from the clutches of religious scriptures, freed of doubt and misconception, made him pure and radiant." We learn that there are "the various voids or spaces or spiritual planes which a soul has to pass through before attaining Godhead." We are told that these voids are not external to our being and can be realized within ourselves. We are told that the effulgence  (Jothi) abides in the inmost void. With a radiant body comes a radiant vision to pry into the secrets and mysteries of the nature of earth, water, fire, air, space, and creation of the human body, and the entire evolutionary process. 

This then is a journey in transforming the physical and gross material body into a pure and radiant body and traveling within through various voids and spaces or spiritual planes, removing curtains or veils that surround the soul and prevent it from having a clear vision of the great effulgence or Jothi rising up from one plane of consciousness to the next higher plane and finally arrive at the effulgence performing all its functions.

What a wonderful journey. Can each of us attain this state? Agathiyar told us that many can attain the state of a Siddha but none has been where Ramalinga Adigal dared to venture. I believe with our Effort, Discipline, and His Grace, it might be possible. This is what we see in Ramalinga Adigal's life too. 

As I am typing this piece the current is piercing the crown of my head. Each time it happens attention is forcefully diverted to it. It somehow subdues the breath bringing it to subside. My whole body draws me to remain still and observe and experience the moment.  I guess this is the state of Nishpati Avastha where Kevala Kumbhaka or Sahaja Kumbhaka which is "the holding of the breath" happens spontaneously. I have lost interest in speaking, reading, and watching others give talks and speak. I would rather watch my breath and the sensation in the crown. I guess I have to learn to prolong these moments that have become very regular. There is something to discover from these phenomena I believe. I guess the days of my struggle to meditate will be over soon. It would come on its own without my effort I believe going by what is happening currently. As a Sadhaka I try my level best to guide other Sadhakas too. I had replied to one such Sadhaka who questioned "Why should they say to include meditation _ the process of shutting down the external world maybe_ in our worship? Actually, does it do any good?" earlier.  I replied to her "It has to happen on its own ma. Comes spontaneously. True meditation happens when everything shuts down on its own and not in trying to keep them out." It is futile trying to tame the mind. It is a struggle to beat the temptations in life. We are part and parcel of this world and all its happenings. We are connected to each other. There is no escape but to live in this illusion or Maya. But the secret is to try and stay aloft. Take in the pleasures of sight, sound, touch, taste, and smell but be prepared to let go any time the need arises. Take in the pleasures that money and wealth can buy but be prepared to let go too. Enjoy the privileges that come with position and authority but be prepared to let go. Live life with a purpose and to the fullest but be prepared to let go when the time comes.

Ramalinga Adigal speaks of spontaneous transformation within, where he says only the divine would know the nature and extent of the misery that came with it. He finally lets go of all his efforts letting the divine work its way through him. He sings, "We will not worry no more, neither will we attempt to slog or work towards it no further." 

இனித்துயர் படமாட்டேன் விட்டே னே
என்குரு மேல்ஆணை இட்டே னே.
இனிப்பாடு படமாட்டேன் விட்டே னே
என்னப்பன் மேல்ஆணை இட்டே னே.

Agathiyar too in coming to comfort me and my fear and ignorance on what transpired over two days in 2022, told me that there was no effort necessary henceforth and that the energies would do their work. We shall withdraw within and wait for the guru's grace to work its beauty in us. P. Karthigayan in his "History of Medical and Spiritual Sciences of Siddhas of Tamil Nadu, Notion Press, 2016 beautifully summarizes the Siddha path. He writes, "The Siddha cult is initiated on one by fate, encouraged by his nature, kindled by god's will, endured by his aspiration and accomplished by his spontaneous knowledge." One could never come closer than this in describing the core elements that are needed if one were to come to the Siddha path. Even the handful of us who are relatively new to this path can advocate the truth in this. For instance, I was initiated into the path by fate too; encouraged by my nature to thoroughly learn everything that I laid my hands on; every act of mine was kindled by God's will, sustained by his grace, and halted at times out of his compassion and love; indeed I endured it all seeing his aspiration for me to see through his will, and finally I shall accomplish that by the gift of his spontaneous knowledge.