Tuesday 2 April 2024

DROPPING IT ALL

A story is told at https://isha.sadhguru.org/en/wisdom/article/agastya-muni-story of how the Sapta Rishis after having learned from their master, they were asked for Guru Dakshina. Agathiyar offered all that he had learned to his master. The rest of the Rishis followed. They stood empty. They were sent out to share what they had learned with others. 

Supramania Swami too left his years of merits gained from his Sadhanas and Tavam to me telling me that even these had to be left behind. He left empty-handed. 

The day Tavayogi took up my invitation and visited my humble home, he killed my attachment towards him even before it could blossom. I was so high on cloud 9 that a turavi or holy man had stepped into my home for the very first time in my life. I expressed this joy to him. He replied, "You are living in Maya. I am not a holy man. Look within you for your holiness. I call it Agathiyar." I shut my mouth for the rest of the journey back to his residence in Batu Caves.  

When he invited me to his ashram and Agathiyar in the Nadi too asked me to spend a couple of days with him, he had me drop any desire to wear a Rudraksha bead, if I ever had embedded in my as vasanas. Taking notice, he had me drop the Navaratna or 9 gem studded ring I wore on my finger and the Rasamani or Mercury bead I wore on me when I told him about it too.

Agathiyar in asking me to commission his statue and had many come over to join us in puja, soon had me send him over to the homes of his devotees. He broke my attachment to the object of worship. Now he wants me to even drop my attachment to him telling me not to hold on to manifestations or Maya.

He broke apart the very group he brought together into his worship and to carry out charity too as we were getting high in the words of my wife. Sadly there are many caught in this addiction and are not able to move on. 

Moving us to the next phase from Sariyai and Kriyai into Yoga, he had us drop the Pranayama and Asanas and just sit and observe the breath.

Recently Agathiyar told me that it was fine that I could not recall the humongous Gnanam or Divine knowledge he transmitted. Even these should not be carried with us he implied. 

When my mother-in-law fell ill, Agathiyar told my wife to let her go when her time came up later. When my mother was on her deathbed Agathiyar told my family members to let her go, as she had another birth waiting. 

Agathiyar tells us parents to let go of holding on to our children too asking us to give them space to explore life. 

They are all teaching us to leave all things behind, be it those that are inherited, earned, gifted, showered on us, and cherished and loved. It calls for a parting of something precious to us. This is truly a test of our surrender to the guru.