Wednesday 1 April 2015

THE GIFT OF A GURU PART 2


Once when Guru Namashivayar was fanning his master, he began to hit his side with his hands. The master asked his student what he was doing. Guru Namashivayar replied that he was putting off the fire that was engulfing the curtain at Chidambaram (temple). On another occasion the senior Namashivayar told his student to dispose off his vomit in a place where no one would step on it. Guru Namashivayar figuring that there was no safe place, drank his master's vomit. When he returned, his guru asked him where he disposed the vomit. Guru Namashivayar pointed to his stomach. When Guhai Namashivayar realized that his disciple Guru Namashivayar had himself attained a status at par with him, that of a guru, he had him leave Thiruvannamalai for Chidambaram. But the junior Namashivayar refused to budge. He instead pleaded to his master to reverse his directive, allow him to continue staying with him, having a daily darshan of him and serving him forever. Realizing that Guru Namasivaya was very much attached to the physical form of his, Guhai Namashivayar told him, "If the Lord there gives you darshan even as I do myself, stay there. If not, come back here." Only after hearing this from his guru, Guru Namashivayar agreed to leave for Chidambaram. True to his guru's words when Guru Namashivayar arrived at Chidambaram temple, he saw his master's form and remained at the temple henceforth.

Read further about these great masters at http://www.arunachalasamudra.org/gurunamasivaya.html

When my family and I visited Tavayogi Thangarasan Adigal's Kallar Ashram in 2013 after he invited us over, he called me aside and told me to bring my family to Ooty and let them have some fun and enjoy the boat rides. He said, "You and I might not need, bring them over", understanding pretty well that they were children and young. 

When we left for Kallar, my wife mentioned to me her wish to see Tavayogi conduct a prayer while we were there. While boating on the lake at Ooty, I passed the word about our wish to see the prayers at Kallar Ashram to Mataji Sarojini Ammaiyaar. I suppose she must have mentioned to Tavayogi for he was preparing for a puja the next morning. I brought out a few copies of the Sidhar Potri Thoguppu, a compilation of Siddha names and hymns that I had compiled and printed. Tavayogi and Mataji happened to notice these copies and flipped through them. I explained that we were singing these songs during our prayers back in Malaysia. They were impressed and to my surprise, Tavayogi told me, "You shall sing today". Tavayogi started the prayers with a couple of songs and then turned to us and asked us to continue. We were honored to be given an opportunity to take the stage that day and sing to our hearts delight. Surprisingly he asked us to sing again the next day too. As we ended the session, Tavayogi blessed us by applying the sacred ash on our foreheads and said something that brought further delight to our hearts. "I had a worry. I had sowed some seeds in Malaysia, and was worried if it would grow. Today I have no more worry".

After having packed our bags and just as we were about to leave, to my surprise Tavayogi handed me a Patharatchai or Paduka and a Vaasi kol. I was filled with joy receiving this gift from him. Just a week before our arrival, the stala vritcham which was a nuna maram or noni tree (Morinda citrifolia) had fallen due to strong winds. Tavayogi had someone chop up its trunk and shape it into these beautiful footwear and staff. We were blessed to bring back home a part of Kallar Ashram and with it it's spirit.

Agathiyar pointed out the significance of the Paduka and Vaasi kol to us through a Jeeva Nadi reading for Surendaran Selvaratnam later in Kallar. Suren having fixed an appointment with Mataji to read the Jeeva Nadi, left for Kallar from Bangkok where he was on assignment.  In the reading Agathiyar told him that he was in the form of the Paduka at Suren's home. When I received the Paduka from Tavayogi, I wanted to pass the existing pair that I was worshipping to Suren as he was seeking to purchase a pair for himself earlier. I put a word to Tavayogi and he consented. We were amazed when Agathiyar too gave his consent. 

When my nephew was visiting Supramania Swami upon my request, Swami asked us to help out financially in building a temple for Lord Murugan in his village. We agreed to do so. Later he told me over the phone that it would be near his Guru Yogi Ramsuratkumar's Ashram and not at his village. Swami eventually found a suitable plot of land and purchased it. Work started on the temple foundation as we sourced for more funds. Meanwhile I asked Swami to put up a kudil for him to stay, which he did. Later when I visited him in 2005, I mentioned to him the reason I opted to help him gather funds to undertake the massive task of building a temple, he listened intently. Sitting in the living area of his newly build kudil on the grounds of the yet to be built temple, I repeated the story I read in one of Thavathiru Rengaraja Desigar's publication. Agathiyar had helped Lord Murugan, then known as Supramaniar, to set up a kudil and look into all his daily needs while Supramaniar continued his meditation and  his austerities in peace. Later when Supramaniar attained jhoti he promised Agathiyar to repay his kindness. I told Supramania Swami that I had a hidden agenda in helping him. I had selfish motives. I too desired something to that extent. To my surprise Supramania Swami immediately without another moment of thought told me that all his tavam was for me. I did not understand the intensity and implication of his words then. But I realize now that he had given away all of his 40 years of hard work that he had put into his austerities. I also remember him telling me that one should leave behind his merits before parting with this world, and he did just that.