Sunday 3 October 2021

MAGICAL MOMENTS 1

I came across a quote by Adhi Sankara. "Through the company of the wise Sage, there arises non-attachment. From non-attachment comes freedom from delusion. Where there is freedom from delusion, there is abidance in Self-knowledge, which leads to freedom while alive." How apt and true it is we realize as we journey the path of the Siddhas.

How do I see the Siddhas now? How did I see them back then? My perspective and experiences of them have changed over a period of time between 2002 and now, some 19 years being in the company of the Siddhas. When I was first told about them in 1996 by the late astrologer and Siddha physician Dr. Krishnan that they could tell us if we were cursed through a Nadi reading, I did not pay much attention to his words. It did not matter and was not important to me at that time. He was a profound astrologer who related his predictions based on medical grounds. But sadly nothing he mentioned about me took place. I figured why. Then I asked him a general question if there was a possibility that his predictions might not happen. Yes, he answered, "If you were cursed". I asked him to look into the charts if I was cursed. He told me that he could not do it and that I had to read my Nadi written by the Siddhas. I came to know about the Siddhas and their Nadi that day. But I left it at that as there was no urgency and it was not important if the predictions took place or not.

Moving to the year 2002, as I sat with my office colleague he related his experience in seeing his Nadi in 2000. It excited me to see my Nadi. He made arrangements for me to see it. Agathiyar in the Nadi reading endorsed what the dear Dr had told me. I carried curses from the elders in my priestly clan in a past birth and many others whom I had harmed. The Siddhas could have made known the reason for my present birth and let me go through the law of karma without interfering. But the most compassionate Siddhas lifted their fingers to help me come out of the chain of karma that entices and follows us birth after birth. Agathiyar shined like a beacon and showed me the light that day. Here was a way to come out of my self-made karma. I prepared immediately to carry out the remedies given locally beginning with the simple ritual of paying my respects and showing my gratitude to the Siddhas for looking into my past, present, and future and bringing it to my knowledge. I prepared to leave for India to carry out the rest. 

Upon arriving in India I broke down and cried asking Agathiyar where he was as I had arrived but he was nowhere to be seen. He heard me for he assisted me all the way through sending his proxies making my maiden journey a bliss. As if answering my prayers, he showed his presence in an energetic way that completely shut my senses to the outside world but not before having me go into a daze looking for the exit door from the Kalahasteeswarer Temple.

FROM MY TRAVELS IN INDIA as appeared in the now-defunct website at http://www.indianheartbeat.20m.com/guru.htm

The next day, 2 September 2003, I visited the Kalahasteeswarer Temple again, this time alone. I was there from 6 am to 8 am. When I finally decided to return to the hotel, I came round the temple complex a couple of times looking for the exit only to find one exit which somehow I thought was not similar to the one I had entered. I asked the security guard but was told that that was the only way in and out of the temple complex. As I stepped out into the open through that exit, I realized I had entered through this entrance and that I was disorientated and could not find my bearings back there. 

The wonder of wonders and my very first encounter with the divine energy took place at the Egambareswarar Temple.

Devendran and Mahendren dropped me at the Egambareswarar Temple.This was another of the Pancha Stalam that I was directed to visit. The main sanctum was packed with people witnessing a ‘private prayer’. As the atmosphere was extremely noisy, I decided to pray elsewhere. As I came around the temple complex, I came across a huge chamber on my left. As I stopped at the entrance to the chamber to have a look, I saw a huge and majestic statue of Lord Nadaraja within looking down on me. A young priest who stood at its entrance quickly ushered me into the chamber. He walked briskly ahead of me and lighted the camphor. As I stepped inside this magnificent chamber, I felt I had stepped into another world and plane; another space and time; an entirely different atmosphere, something I had never felt before overcame me. I could feel a strong vibration come over me. Was this the bliss that is often mentioned by the Yogis and Gurus I wondered later? Was I being shown a small sample of the bliss that is often mentioned by them? The young priest started chanting as he showed the sacred flame or arati. I stood in front of Lord Nadaraja, at close proximity, amazed, astonished, and emotionally shaken up, tears pouring down the cheeks, and eventually, I broke into a loud cry. I had my Lord all to myself at that moment. Everything else stood still! Eventually, I became composed, thanked the priest, and made my way out of that mesmerizing and eccentric chamber of Lord Nadaraja. Further down the corridor, I was invited by an elderly couple to sit and watch with them the bathing ritual or Abhisegam to Goddess Kaali. I took up the offer. I sat with them to witness a private prayer or puja to Maa Kaali. I stayed long enough to witness Abhisegam performed on Lord Egambareswarar too. 

I believe the divine came as a husband-wife team on the grounds of the Suryanar Temple in Mayil Aduthurai.

We arrived at the Suryanar Temple in Mayil Aduthurai in the scorching heat of the afternoon, at exactly 12 noon. I had been advised against giving alms to the poor on this pilgrimage by my brother who had the bitter experience of having to ward off large groups of these beggars who turned up once they see a foreigner or visitor giving donations when he was in India earlier. Shivabalan had particularly mentioned to me to be wary of beggars in the guise of sadhu’s especially at this temple. True enough there were many kavi clad men sitting at the entrance to the temple asking for alms. I made my way hastily into the temple grounds. After offering my prayers, taking heed of their advice, I left the grounds of the temple hurriedly when a woman came after me asking for alms followed by a disfigured man. This couple, as if they could read my mind, called out after me, “There are only two of us - please donate”. True enough no one was around on the immediate grounds of the temple. I dipped my hands into my pockets and handed whatever cash I had then to the woman who happily went away with her partner. 

Agathiyar continued to assist me with my parikarams or remedies.

I was off to Trichi at 9.15 am to perform the parikaram at Utamar Temple. We reached the temple at 12.50 pm. Devendran went in to enquire if there were any priests who could be of assistance in advising me on how to go about doing the atonement or parikaram at this temple as Agathiyar in the Nadi only mentioned that I donate to three Brahmin priests at this temple. Then as if God sent, Devendran appears with a priest willing to guide us at this temple and also to take us to the Tiru Anaikaval Shiva Temple too. The priest advised that we get to Tiru Aanaikaval Temple first, and fast too before, they closed for lunch, and to come back to Utamar Temple in the evening for the atonement here. At Tiru Anaikaval Temple, the priest from Utamar Temple advised me on what to purchase. It was 12 noon. To my surprise, he used his contacts at the temple to open doors that were closed. Lord Vinayagar’s chamber was closed. He had it opened for me. 

Moving on to the main sannadhi,

He called out to an elderly priest who was squatted at a corner of the temple amongst others. He told the old man that he was the one to do the prayers! I had the privilege to enter the main sanctum and be shown the Shivalingam which was partially submerged in water. After the elderly priest conducted the prayers, I fell at the feet of the elderly priest for his blessing. As I picked myself up, I realized the priests from Utamar Temple, the temple caretaker and Devendran too, had fallen at the priest’s feet following my gesture and were now picking themselves up. 

The priests whom we "imported" from Utamar temple insisted that the old priest perform the arathi at Lord Dhakshanamurthy's sannadhi too. I do not know exactly what came over me but I was crying and weeping aloud as if asking for forgiveness from the Lord. The priest from Utamar temple forbade the caretaker from stopping me and let me cry my heart out as if understanding what was happening.

The priest from Utamar Temple insisted the elderly priest should conduct the prayers at the Lord Dhaksanamurthi sanctum too. After the elderly priest left, I broke down at Lord Dhakshanamurthi’s sanctum. I cried for all the blessings that I had been shown until then. I suppose I must have cried aloud to the amazement of my newfound friends, for the caretaker of the temple tried to console me. I heard the priest from Utamar Temple say, “Let Him Be, Let Him Cry.” After a while, I picked myself up and we adjourned to feed the poor, a cow, and an elephant on the advice of the priest from Utamar Temple. I was literally pushed or shoved from one shrine to another, by this wonderful group of people, the elderly priest, the priests from Utamar Temple, the temple caretaker, and Devendran, performing each prayer to the utmost satisfaction. The priest whom we picked up at Utamar Temple insisted that I dropped him off at a location that he chose. He did not want me to send him back to the Utamar Temple saying he had errands to run. After handing him the first of three offerings I had to give away at Utamar Temple at his chosen spot, we drove off. I chanced to look back to realize that we had dropped him off at a Hanuman temple! I did not see him again at Utamar Temple that evening when I was there performing the atonement! Why did he get down at the Hanuman temple? Who did come in the guise of the priest and showed me around? Was it Siddha Hanuman who accompanied me at Tiru Aanaikaval and with that much speed and velocity practically shoving me from one shrine to another? Who else but the son of Vayu could perform such a feat! 

I believe Agathiyar came as himself dressed in white cloth that covered him, spotting a long white beard and hair that was tied up at the Sri Rangam Temple. 

It was just as crowded as Tirupathi. I could not enter the main chamber to see Lord Ranganathar due to the crowd. Instead, I spent some time at the Ambal shrine where prayers were going on too. As I was about to get into the car and drive away from Sri Rangam a holy man of medium height with a long white beard, long hair that was tied up neatly, and dressed in a clean white vesti, suddenly appeared beside me from out of nowhere. He was fair, merry, and cheerful. He started blessing me, “You shall be fine.” He spoke fine English and Tamil. I bent to touch his feet, asked if he had eaten, and gave him a token before I bid farewell to him. 

If I was disoriented for a while trying to locate the door out of the Kalahasteeswarer Temple at the very beginning of my journey, I was totally crippled for some time besides totally lost at Palani. Here I see now how Agathiyar just as he switched the driver, chose the exact day that I should be in Palani too.

5.30 am, 7 September 2003 I left for Palani a day earlier than scheduled. I reached the foot of the hillock at 8.50 am. After a brief drive around the hill, Devendran dropped me off at the entrance to the Tiru Avinankudi Temple. After prayers at Tiru Avinankudi temple, I started for the hill temple. After having taken only a few steps, I just could not move my legs anymore. They were extremely heavy as if rooted to the ground. I had to force myself to lift my legs. The heart was pumping hard. I was gasping for air. I pushed myself determined to scale the hill. I had to break the climb though, stopping every few minutes. I eventually reached the top of the hill. On reaching the top, I was dizzy, drenched with sweat, the throat parched and dry, and I had to sit! I just dropped my belongings and leaned against the wall of one of the stalls that were lined up. As I sat there, I was sweating profusely on the verge of fainting. As I opened my eyes all was bright and white. I could hear the crowd and see the silhouettes of people moving along. I had no problem climbing the 272 steps at Batu Caves. Neither did I have a problem climbing the numerous steps in the Gua Tempurung Caves back home prior to this trip. So why couldn't I climb Palani Hill? Having regained my composure after some time, I stood up. I continued my way to Palani Murugan’s chambers. I stood in a row to have the Darshan of Lord Murugan. I do not remember seeing Lord Murugan. I cannot recount what took place here then. Leaving the Lord’s chambers, I followed the crowd ahead of me. I then came upon another room where there were four Brahmin priests. I enquired if it was Siddha Bhogar’s Samadhi and they nodded. I entered and stood in prayer while one of the priests showed the flame or arati. One of the four priests, a young man, reached for a tumbler on top of a closet in the room and handed it to me saying it was Abhisegam milk. I drank milk. I realized I was the only one then in this chamber! I took the opportunity to sit for a while here, as there were no devotees around. Upon opening my eyes, I noticed that a particular priest who gave me the milk, was still there in front of me, this time holding some flowers and vibhuti in his hand. He gave them to me. I took leave thanking him silently. I was alone with these four priests at Siddha Bhogar’s Samadhi for some time without any disturbances from the public. Now, where did all the people in front of me and those behind me go? I came out of Siddha Bhogar’s chamber in a daze, not comprehending what had just happened back there. I walked around the temple grounds still in a daze but with a heart that was full, brimming with joy. I finally left the premises and found my way to the car at the foothill at 11 am. 

Later on 19 August 2005, Agathiyar reveals what took place at Palani in the Nadi! 

The pinnacle of my first journey was at Thiruvannamalai where I was shown, my first guru.

According to the Nadi, I was to circumambulate this hill on a full moon night. 9 September 2003 was a day of Girivalam. The full moon starts at 10.47 pm and lasts until 10.48 pm the next day (10 September 2003). We reached the Tiruvannamalai temple at 1.15 pm. We were at the temple grounds until 1.50 pm. I had a beautiful Darshan and a pretty close one too of Lord Annamalaiyar and Goddess Unna Mulaiyal. I worshipped the underground (patala) Shivalingam where Ramana Maharishi had meditated. I left for the hotel at 2.30 pm. At 5.30 pm, I walked to the temple from the hotel. I joined the long queue to get another Darshan of the Lord before embarking on the Girivalam. It was a long queue indeed, for I only saw the Lord at 9 pm. At 9.40 pm, I started on the Girivalam path finishing back at the temple grounds at 6.30 am on 10 September. As I was told in the Nadi that I would meet up with my Guru in an unexpected way and in an unexpected place soon, I was hoping to come face to face with my Guru at this holy event. When I did not meet the Guru, I consoled myself it may be another moment and another place. After lunch that day, I went back to Ramana Maharishi’s ashram and sat at his samadhi. Later I left For Yogi Ramsuratkumar’s ashram, which I did not get to visit earlier during the girivalam. Unfortunately, Yogi Ramsuratkumar’s ashram was closed for lunch.

Just before I left Malaysia for India, my wife reminded me that we had not consulted an astrologer on the astrological chart for our second daughter. Since I was going to India, she asked me to look into it. Since I had the rest of the day to myself, I asked if Devendran knew any astrologer. He tells me his uncle is one and stayed nearby. I seized the opportunity to meet his uncle Supramania Swami and have my daughter's future forecast. We drove eight kilometers out of Tiruvannamalai to meet Devendran’s uncle. What I did not know then was that seeing Supramania Swami over an astrological chart was only a reason to meet my Guru in waiting. Devendran introduced me as a tourist from Malaysia who was there for his (my) daughter’s astrological chart reading. I mentioned my name to Devendran’s uncle. He did not say anything but instead led us to his prayer room, lighted the camphor, and blessed me. He had Devendran place his deerskin on the floor outside his home. Had his son Ramajayam bring out all the almanacs or panjangam. I prepared myself to listen to the astrological revelation of my daughter’s future. However, what he did was talk about my future and me. He mentioned that he had been going around Mount Tiruvannamalai on full moon days, for the past thirty years now, but could not do it the night before due to ill health. The miracle was that even though he was ill and unable to go on Girivalam that night, I was brought to him. He mentioned his masters. He had had five of them. Amongst them was his own father, Jayaraman Pillai, Pundi Mahan (Atru Swami), Sathanandha Swami of Salem (author of the Kandarguru Kavasam), Kolli Malai Swami, and Yogi Ramsuratkumar (Visiri Swami). I was blessed to receive Guru Upadesam and a teecha Mantra to be recited. As we sat together in the open air in that small home in a village known as Nachaanthal, oblivious to what was happening around us and the surrounding; unaware that many curious neighbors and kids had dropped by to view this ‘rare visitor’ from Malaysia, Supramania Swami revealed new happenings that were about to take place in my life. He could tell a number of intimate things about the life and mission I was to face. As he was narrating, I could not help but break down. I cried like a child. I cried for blessings I had received from God until that very moment. I realized how much God loved me then. As I kept on crying, Supramania Swami surprised me further with more predictions. I cried aloud again. I spent five blissful hours in his presence that day!

I came to realize that the divine can come with its messages while in solitary or be it right in the marketplace without the public's knowledge, deliver it and leave. 

When Devendran did mention to Swami that it took me nine hours compared to three hours for others to go around mount Tiruvannamalai, Swami replied, “Of course it would take that long for he (referring to me) had been stopping over at all the places of worship and ashrams.” Now how did he know that? “Take him back with you”, were his parting words to me referring to Lord Annamalaiyar. As we left his home, he stood there, hands together in prayer for me. He was praying for my safe journey. I in return stood there with my palms in prayer to him too, not knowing what was appropriate for the moment. We left him as night fell over this small village known as Nacha Ananthal. 

When I cried for him at the hotel room to come, he did come in these numerous ways to accompany me on my maiden journey to India.