Monday 23 September 2024

A MATTER OF PERSPECTIVE

During my working days, we at the office traveled to Terengganu for an event. The secretariat had informed the hotel management ahead that I was a vegetarian. My first meal at the hotel was somewhat basic. I had a talk with the chef and gave him ideas on what he could prepare. The next few meals over the next few days were a delight to savor. On the day of departure, I figured that the hotel had given me a great sendoff by way of serving all the dishes I had since day one. I was so delighted and happy. That was many years ago. Yesterday after our puja at the new AVM venue with the kids performing the rituals, I had a shocking revelation, but funny in a way. What I thought was a grand finale for me where the hotel served all the meals that I suggested they could serve, seemed from the perspective of another quick-witted person to be the balanced meals over the five days I had stayed there. We all had a good laugh when I realized this possibility after so many years. But we all doubted they would do that. It is a matter of perspective. 

Similarly, when I attended Neuro-Linguistic Programming (NLP), a personal development program organized by the office, I started to think out of the box. Asking us to draw an elephant on A3 size paper, I began to give my finest as I was acknowledged by many and those at the office to be a fine artist. When we came up front to exhibit our work, I turned out to be the best. Then the instructor drew his elephant. He placed a dot on the white sheet of paper and told us that that was his elephant. We were all taken aback. How could that be an elephant? He went on to tell us that it was an elephant that was seen from space. It blew our minds. We all had a good laugh when we realized this possibility. It is a matter of perspective. 

Then he pulled out his credit card and asked each of us to describe what we saw seated in our respective positions. One person saw the front side that carried the name of the bank that issued it, its logo, the card number, the chip, the expiry date, the cardholder's name, and the hologram. Another who saw the rear side pointed out the magnetic strip, signature box, and CVC code. The others saw only the edge of the card. Here again, is the play of perspective. 

If we cannot see beyond the corner if we are on the road, someone in a light aircraft or helicopter sees the road, the bends, the cars, and the vast terrain. An astronaut sees the entire earth. So is it with the Siddhas and the Gods. They have a better view of the world and its goings-on because they see the bigger picture. 

I understand now why Agathiyar keeps telling us that there is no right and no wrong. It all depends on where we stand and look. As our learning, understanding, and experiences defer too, we cannot possibly agree on a thing. Let each of us live our lives as we see best. This shall bring tolerance and peace among us. I too learned a lesson in guiding AVM all these years. Lord Muruga told me that I cannot expect everyone to be exactly like me. The ball is now in Mahindren's court. If Agathiyar had youths in their twenties and early thirties come over to watch me and my family carry out the Siddha puja after their respective Nadi readings, Mahindren for a start, has taken up working on the kids. He shall steer the new AVM to greater heights.