Monday 19 September 2022

LISTEN TO THE WISE

When a new seeker asked Tavayogi about Kundalini during a Satsang in 2016, he shut him up saying it is too soon to dwell on it. When I told him on my first meeting with him in 2005 that I was called to the path of the Siddhas, he had me worship the Siddhas first. He brought me to the places associated with the Siddhas. He showed my charity by starting off by feeding the hungry at his ashram. Later during his visit to Malaysia in 2007, he showed a small group of us Yogasanas and Pranayama. Until he passed away in 2018, he never spoke about Kundalini. I guess he did not want us to play with fire. 

In "KUNDALINI, EVOLUTION, AND ENLIGHTENMENT" edited by John White, which carries a compilation of views of the spiritual masters, they discourage this "Power trip" where seekers and aspirants think that higher consciousness can result from forcefully practicing certain disciplines in a mechanical fashion." Instead, they ask us to,

"Seek to refine your character and cultivate your mind through selfless service, discriminating studies, and dedicated spiritual train­ing. Do that, and kundalini will awaken gently, automatically, and without the unhealthy effects that are being seen more and more frequently. Desiring something-even such a noble goal as the awakening of kundalini is misguided." It has to happen with the grace and guidance of a guru. 

When Ram Dass asked his guru Neem Karoli Baba "How do you raise kundalini?' he said, "Serve people."

M. P. Pandit writes "What is being laboriously attempted, dangerously pursued, and problematically achieved in kundalini yoga can be assured in a yoga like Sri Aurobindo's in a very natural way by throwing oneself open to divine consciousness and grace, letting it descend into oneself, and letting it decide which centers of consciousness are going to be operated upon, which one is most open and ready. It is more in the natural way of evolution to let things develop in this manner rather than having a systematized procedure."

Sri Chinmoy says "A genuine seeker never considers the hidden powers or occult powers as his goal. He cares only for God. He longs only for God's loving presence in his life. When one realizes God, everything comes. At that time the centers automatically open, whether the seeker wants to utilize them or not. There are many Indian spiritual seekers who have said that when the kundalini is awakened, the vital heat, dynamic heat inside the subtle body very often causes them great discomfort. This energy comes from the subtle body, but it is felt in the physical body. Very often seekers who are about to develop spiritual powers find that the intense inner power is too difficult to bear."

Alice A. Bailey writes that "When this process is carried forward with care and due safeguards, and under direction, and when the process is spread over a long period of time there is little risk of danger, and the awakening will take place normally and under the law of being itself."

Though Tavayogi did not speak about Kundalini after that I realized that he had given us the means and the ways to arrive there by showing us the Yogasanas and Pranayama practices in 2007. These were a treasure house Agathiyar told me later in a Nadi reading on 25 April 2008.

I guess I must have been the only one diligently following this practice for Agathiyar sent one of the handful who learned from Tavayogi that day to me telling him in his Nadi reading that he had forgotten the steps and needed to learn from me. When he came over we re-learned together the steps. When we perfected and polished up these Yoga practices under the tutorship of Acharya Gurudasan, Acharya later asked me why I did not teach it to people. I replied that Tavayogi only taught a few of us that day and never ever asked me to teach another. later In later years, Agathiyar asked me to teach Mahindren and have the others learn from him. I am glad that in his physical absence these days I have Agathiyar, Ramalinga Adigal, and the rest of the Siddhas looking over my shoulder.