Thursday 31 August 2023

THE LAST 21 YEARS

Agathiyar told me once that no one these days is adopting the way of life of a Siddha or Siddhar Vazhgai Neri. But what is Siddhar Vazhgai Neri and how do we adopt and follow it? What do we do to qualify and stay on this path? This is exactly the frustration I faced when Agathiyar told me to come to the worship of the Siddhas in the Nadi in 2002. He had the Nadi guru carry out a puja to pay homage to the Siddhas for documenting and revealing my life in the Nadi called Naadikku Dhanam. Even then I did not realize the way was already shown during this brief moment of recitation of the names of the Siddhas. Tavayogi too in explaining the cause of people's sufferings to be their karma or vinai told them to worship the Siddhas by reciting their names. We expected something larger in scale and dramatic as in the affairs of the temples. But the Siddha path of worship is indeed one without the pomp and fare of temple celebrations. Agathiyar in calling me to their worship had already given me the tools to continue my worship. I received the small booklet containing the compilation of the names of the Siddhas that the Nadi reader recited, and a picture of Agathiyar given by the host who brought in the readers. That was all to it. Though I started off the worship immediately upon returning home, I felt a need to know more about the Siddhas for I had stood before Agathiyar and the Nadi without any knowledge of them. I began to scout around for books related to them. But it was mostly in poetry form that was not comprehensible. Those who spoke about them were vastly covering the myths and legends surrounding them that did not serve any purpose to us in these times. I wanted to know more about the worship and stood at the doors of numerous movements engaged in one way or another in keeping Agathiyar alive. There were those who solely focused on doing charity and feeding the hungry year-round. This catered to the beginners stepping into the path. There we those who had already moved on to the worship of Arutperunjothi. The remaining ones were fragments of the larger movements going about only God knows what. There were many who became comfortable by hosting Satsangs and talking about the Siddhas and settled into it. There was no one doing regular Siddha puja. This broke my heart. I then took it upon myself to gather and enhance my home puja. The small booklet that contained the names of the Siddhas grew in size as I compiled more names, mantras, and songs that I began to recite at home. It gave me great pride and a sense of accomplishment that I had filled the gap that existed. 

With the coming of Tavayogi he asked that I conduct a Homam at home and I did. Agathiyar came as the bronze statue and asked that I conduct libation or abhisegam to it. They taught me a comprehensive and complete A-Z of Siddha puja in the comfort of my home fulfilling my yearning to learn Siddha worship or puja.

Tavayogi then taught us certain Yoga Asanas and Pranayama in 2007 that had us step into Yogam which was the third component on the path, after Sariyai and Kriyai that we were carrying out. Agathiyar gave more exercises through the Nadi. Patanjali came in the Nadi to give me a guide on food intake that was Sattvic in content. Siddha physicians passed me herbal preparations to first detox my body, bring back the balance, and later strengthen it. 

Meanwhile, Agathiyar sent many young seekers to my home in 2013 to watch and participate in these pujas which included the fire ritual or Homam and libation of Agathiyar's statue. The compendium of songs in praise of the Siddhas was passed on to the devotees who joined my family in puja. Later I uploaded them online for other's reference too. Though many began to sing these songs in their homes and temples too, sadly only a few took the rituals back with them and carried them out in their homes in their entirety. They settled for fragments of it and considered it as enough to invoke the Siddhas. 

Unlike those movements that carried out charity and feeding from day one till the present times and those that kept talking about the Siddhas, we at AVM were asked to stop both puja and charity in 2019, just months before the lockdowns were enforced as a result of the pandemic. We were told to go within. I was asked to teach the Yoga exercises given to me by Tavayogi to others and at the same time I was asked to revive my yoga practices too, which Agathiyar had brought to a stop in 2012 after I had pain in my back due to the activation of energies within that had me suffer for some three years. The pandemic did come as a blessing as it forced us to stay indoors. This was a period of letting go as I came to realize from Mahindren. He opened my eyes to the fact, given that I had expressed my sadness in having wasted precious time. 

Looking back now I realized that it was all very timely and well coordinated. All went well despite the frustrations, sadness, and anger. It was indeed Agathiyar's will that shaped things all these while. It has been a wonderful journey of some 21 years. I guess I had lived the Siddhar Vazhgai Neri that Agathiyar had mentioned was amiss in society these days thanks to their guidance, to a certain extent though there is much to be desired. 

P. Karthigayan in his book "History of Medical and Spiritual Sciences of Siddhas of Tamil Nadu", Notion Press, 2016, states that Siddhas founded and predicted the science of astrology, discovered longevity and immortality techniques, and alchemy and the science of refining metals, devised surgical instruments and performed surgery, invented scientific marvels and vehicles,  and overcame gravity engaging in aerial travel. Phew, what an achievement. And to think that they left all these sciences and findings for our use without copyrighting them. The Siddhas are the true gurus who never protected their teachings as intellectual property but gave to all those who came seeking. I was one of them who had gained immensely. Today I stand witness to the Prapanjam acting on me and within me. Though Agathiyar and Ramalinga Adigal said there will come a time when you shall question whether you are in it or it is in you, I guess Prapanjam, or what is commonly translated as consciousness does not stream continuously into us, at least for a start.  I guess when the energy resources are depleted or the charge is low, it comes down and enters within to replenish the body, after certain intervals of time, or just as of now when a sudden surge of it brings out the creativity in us as I pen these words. We need not sit in meditation for hours as it enters even as we move, speak, or at any other moment. The moment it enters through the crown our attention is brought there and pegged to the "ground" no matter in what activity we are engaged in at that moment. As it is fast charging it remains for a short time before it comes back again. We are not in control of it, not as yet. Access has been given but right now it determines when it should come within. I have only Agathiyar, Ramalinga Adigal, and Tavayogi to thank for bringing me to this state. I am glad I took up Agathiyar's call and heeded Tavayogi's words. 

For a yogi or Siddha or Rishi though, they would be constantly engaged with it and in it. This is how Agathiyar is in the bronze statue of his at his new home. Serene and composed, he sits like the Buddha.