Friday 22 September 2023

LEARNING TO LET GO

Most of us do not know when to draw the line, call it a day, or simply let go. A student would burn the midnight oil just before facing his exams, and a career man and woman would go on and on working on a project not knowing when to call it a day or draw a line. The elderly and retired just can't seem to let go of their hold on family and others. Many hold on to relationships that are unbearable hoping for a silver lining. 

A grandma voiced her concern regarding her granddaughter and had been schooling her about the choice of profession that she should take up once she completes her secondary schooling. She was worked up and appeared worried. I asked her why she was worried about her grandaughter's future. If her granddaughter was ill then there was a need to get worried and pray for her recovery. That is what grandparents should do. Grandparents just cannot go on rambling as their experiences and thoughts are most likely to be outdated unless they are IT savvy and keep up with current times and technologies. Sadly most of them live in a dinosaur age and start to preach to the young. They just cannot seem to let go. Give the poor child a break. Give her some breathing space, please. A man in his 80s who once was in the political arena is fed news and current developments and kept updated about politics by relatives and friends. Give him a break, please. He has retired from politics. A lady turned up at Supramania Swami's kudil while I was there in 2005. She was going through hell in her married life. Hearing her out Swami said something that surprised me but made her tears turn to joy and laughter. He told her to leave him. She left laughing all the way until she disappeared from our sight. 

Someone called me up and asked if I had any souvenirs that we sold and also gifted to some made specifically to commemorate the launching of the audio CD "Agathiyar Geetham" many years back. I had none extra. But I told them to come over and collect mine. This is the last possession that is going to move out. Agathiyar is pretty fond of giving away his things to devotees who drop by AVM. He has given away numerous Pathugai or sandals and VaasiKol or his staff and is known to replenish them in some way. He even gave away his famed statue at AVM to a devotee. I am glad that I could accept these giveaways and his departure with ease. I have to thank Supramania Swami, Tavayogi, and Agathiyar for molding me to let go of my hold on things perishable and instead seek the Prapanjam that holds wonders and provides for all our needs.   

For instance, some years back when we were engaged in puja, a devotee highlighted the condition of the broken glass pane of my window, I stopped to enquire a contractor who was doing some work several doors away. He told me he doesn't do windows. I left. But a neighbor who was a bystander to our conversation turned up and volunteered to replace the windows. He went on to suggest that I replace our makeshift kitchen counter too. Later Agathiyar tells my wife that he had gifted her knowing the need of the day. Just days ago as I was having a problem replacing the water closet in my toilet, I sought him out to help. We decided to replace another two windows too as they had aged over the 30 years of existence. He volunteered to paint my daughter's room white too. This was my daughter's wish too. Agathiyar has gifted her a conducive room to do her work online.