Thursday 28 September 2023

WINDING DOWN

The reason there was no post the last few days is that my home was in a mess as painting works were underway. My daughter had asked that I replace her bedroom window in our small humble home of some 30 years. She also wanted a fresh coat of paint and that was white. Agathiyar stepped in again sending our kindly neighbor of a few doors away to do the work. He had replaced two windows earlier, done up the kitchen counter telling my wife that it was a gift from him, and threw in a fresh coat of paint that was white as a bonus. As I had to push several pieces of furniture around making way for the painters I had the dreaded pain come back in my lower back which affected my mobility. But as I had to push back the furniture after the painting works were over, as they were in the way, I stood before Agathiyar or what remains of the oil lamp and his staff now in my prayer room, in the wee hours of 2 a.m. and told him to bring some relief. I took a pinch of the sacred ash that we had adorned him with during an abhisegam or libation in the past that he had us fortify with some turmeric and basil which he told us to consume for all our ailments. If Agathiyar had in the past given herbal remedies in the Nadi and later treated us through his devotees, doctors, physiotherapists, gym instructors, Varma masters, and energy healers, this time around he came in me and picked up the peacock feathers and warmed them in the heat of the burning oil lamp and brushed my body with it. He brought the Prapanjam down which healed the pain immediately bringing instant relief. It might sound unbelievable. I could move back the furniture later. 

Knowing Siddhas are able to help out with their karma, seekers seek out the Nadi to learn ways to burn their karma to ashes. Thereafter, it is entirely a question of belief. While I sat in awe and amazement as the Nadi was revealed, rather than looking at the message, some turned their sight to the reader or the tool. They had suspicions crop up regarding the readers and the contents of the Nadi. As for those like me who simply follow everything said to the word, we see instant results. 

Seekers come to the Siddha path thinking it's another variant of temple worship. They frequent centers established in the name of Siddhas to participate in the events organized. It stops there. Some who choose to bring back the Siddhas into their homes, add yet another picture or painting of a Siddha to their existing collection of pictures of Gods at their altar and start worshiping and praying, again, asking for their needs and favors. Once granted they move on to do their heart and mind's bidding and turn up at his door the next time misfortune strikes. This goes on and on in a cycle. No one wants to move out of it. They drag themselves to come into Yoga. Some might pick up the trades of the Siddhas as predicting the future by reading the Nadi or charting the horoscope, treating the body with Siddha medicines, and taking them up as an occupation falling into a comfort zone as money and respect come by, forgetting to pursue the struggle to reach the ultimate goal that keeps shifting as we journey on this mysterious path of creation to meet the creator himself. This is known only as we wind down and go within. Having us give ourselves in external activities there comes a time when we are told to halt and look within us. 

From a discovery of external things, he has brought us to discover the Self. In coming to them they bring us to know the Self and its purpose. In the Self resides all our needs. In rediscovering the Self and bringing it to take its rightful place we too stay connected and stand divine. 

How can we repay his love, compassion, kindness, mercy, care, and grace? Pentatonic brings us the song "Amazing Grace" by John Newton which sums up the divine grace beautifully.

1 Amazing grace (how sweet the sound)
that saved a wretch like me!
I once was lost, but now am found,
was blind, but now I see.

2 'Twas grace that taught my heart to fear,
and grace my fears relieved;
how precious did that grace appear
the hour I first believed!

3 Through many dangers, toils and snares
I have already come:
'tis grace has brought me safe thus far,
and grace will lead me home.

4 The Lord has promised good to me,
his word my hope secures;
he will my shield and portion be
as long as life endures.

5 Yes, when this flesh and heart shall fail,
and mortal life shall cease:
I shall possess, within the veil,
a life of joy and peace.

6 The earth shall soon dissolve like snow,
the sun forbear to shine;
but God, who called me here below,
will be forever mine.

(Source: https://hymnary.org/text/amazing_grace_how_sweet_the_sound)