Monday 27 November 2023

TALK TO GOD

We are indeed connected in a network with all beings, animals and plants and the universe and its planets. In BBC Earth "Planet Earth lll - Forests", we watch a bear catch a salmon in a river in Canada. Sir David Attenborough narrates the story, "This annual feast helps her to fatten ready for the winter ahead. But it also helps the patch of forest where she lives. This female has an unusual relationship with the forest. Every fish carcass she leaves behind decays releasing nutrients that soak into the soil. And there they are collected by a network of fungi. The treads attach themselves to the tree's roots. And nutrients from the fish collected by the fungi are then passed on to the trees. As a consequence, the forest around the river grows three times faster than elsewhere. And some trees here become as tall as any in the world. And provides the bears with a healthy home. We now know that such relationships exist in the forest all over the world." We are told that a whole community of animals and plants can depend on one tree. A tree fell "can break thousands of long-established connections. Every one of these trees is an intricate eco-system." Even the animals in their own way contribute towards the wellbeing of the forest and nature at large. 

Then we are shown another scene where the virgin jungle is cleared and replaced by a single species of trees in Brazil. The jungle is cleared to plant Eucalyptus trees, originally brought in from Australia, that sadly, "are unable to build relationships with most of the native plants and animals." These trees are not spared either as they brought down at age 5, and their pulp made into paper.

We just can't stomach watching what man does to nature and the very world he lives in. If nations are at war that takes lives and destroys properties on one end, we are destroying the eco system in so many ways. What has happened to man? Where are the values that he once upheld? Even as we condemn them, I guess we are also contributing without really aware of our actions. We are equally caught in this vicious cycle.

But how can we abstain from all actions and activities totally? The sages surely did that. We can never come close to these great souls who see through the journey that they have chosen, even if death awaits them. What holds us back? 

JN Bhasin studied the birth charts of prominent people including saints and wrote about the expressed need to have Vairagya in one's charts. He published his findings in his book "Events and Nativities Explained", Sagar Publications, 1974. If Vairagya is in one's charts, he shall pursue the path. Bhagwan had it. Paramahansa Yogananda had it. It is no wonder that Bhagwan left home for Tiruvannamalai at age16 and Yogananda rented a cottage near his home to meditate at 14. The young Bhagawan sat at the Patala lingam in the Annamalaiyar temple grounds losing himself totally, unaware of the insects gnawing into his flesh till the timely intervention of Seshadri Swamigal saved him. He had Bhagawan transferred to the Virupaksa cave. Tavayogi tells us that during his days of searching, he would at times sit to meditate and awake after several months. 

I do not see Vairagya in my charts. I do not have the will power and determination to pursue the path into uncharted territories. I dare not walk alone. I am always looking out if Agathiyar is there. I need his consent and endorsement in all matters. Do you think I can reach the heights that the Siddhas speak about? I can sit in the comfort of my home and write about these ventures. But what if I am left in the wilderness alone just like Tavayogi describes, fanning for oneself, going hungry for days, seeking shelter from the rain and thunderstorms, trying to keep himself alive from being bitten and ate alive by insects, reptiles and animals. Jnana Jothiamma who knew me pretty well said that I cannot possibly endure the pain and agony that comes with the internal transformation which she had to go through. Agathiyar too told me that he knew pretty well that I cannot tolerate even the slightest pain. Yet the most compassionate father is giving me these experiences in the comfort of my home, tuning its intensity to the very minimum. Should not I appreciate what he is doing for me? Why does he need to bother about me in the very first place? I know that he knows, and is reading my mind and thoughts, and following my actions. This blog in a way has become a medium of communication between us. A reader and friend mailed me "I don't know how to get direct answers.... Can you please ask?" I told her to seek the Nadi where Agathiyar shall clear the air. Paramahamsa Yogananda asks us to speak to God. Neale Donald Walsch does that and has published these "Conversations with God". Agathiyar told me back then in the Nadi that he was always speaking to me. But I was not listening, I guess.