Monday 31 July 2023

FUN WITH THE KIDS

My grandchildren can spend hours assembling and building things using the toy blocks. Just the other day, when I was with my three-year-old granddaughter, she suddenly went behind the door telling me not to watch as she had to defecate. Children when they have to go are known to look for a spot hidden from others' sight to defacate. As she was playing with her toy blocks at that time she asked me to bring them over to where she was seated to continue her play. I did as requested and exited from the room giving her the privacy they needed. After some time I went back to check on her. But she told me that she wasn't done. After some moments I asked her if I should call her mother to wash up. She replied that she was not finished. I then asked her just like the donkey kept asking Shrek "Are we there yet?" if she had arrived at Semenyih where she stayed. She gave me an immediate answer without any expression, still minding her toys that made me laugh all the way downstairs to share with my wife and daughter. She had replied that she had only arrived at Balakong which was my place. It was just moments before that that we were going through the Body Book where we traced the path food took and spoke about digestion and elimination. 

This same kid once asked my wife what I was doing. My wife replied to her that I was on the blog. She immediately asked my wife to call me over and play block with her. Her elder sister who is six years of age complains that I am spending less time with them. So when I asked her if she was reading any of the stuff, she replies that she cannot read in Carl Sagan's words "the funny dark squiggles" on these pages. 

It is indeed fun to listen to them as they pick up words and begin to use them in their daily conversations with us and others.