Monday 20 February 2023

KUNDALINI

Spending time though short periods with my gurus I have seen my fair share of seekers come by after having strangers, gurus who mushroom overnight and with whom they are not fully acquainted, and visiting gurus, activate certain energies in them, and leave. They do not monitor the student's progress thenceforth. Worst still they do not even know their students by their name. The poor soul too doesn't reach out to these gurus for further guidance and assistance for various reasons. He is left in the lurch. Finally, they turn up or look up to the Siddhas for relief. At times it is too late.

Though Tavayogi Thangarasan Adigal too was a stranger to me on our first meeting at a local affiliate of his Agathiyar Gnana Peedham, he only initiated me and others into chanting the mantra of Agathiyar later that evening. For a start, this mantra gets us connected with the guru and is pretty harmless. Later visiting my home he nipped the joy in the bud as I began to shower him with words of thanks and appreciation. He shifted the spotlight to Agathiyar instead of himself. Later at his ashram, he passed on yet another mantra. During a subsequent visit to Malaysia, he showed me and several others Pranayama and Yoga techniques that I follow to this day with brief pauses in between when Agathiyar comes to ask me to give myself a break for the body and the energy to recuperate. He never initiated us into arousing the Kundalini directly in whatever manner. But Agathiyar revealed later that the techniques we picked up from him did just that over time and with practice. In a Nadi reading on 13.10.2007, the Siddhas mentioned that they were delighted to see the kundalini sakti arise. உண்டாகும் குண்டலினி சக்தி உனக்கு உயர்வதைக் கண்டு நாங்கள் வியந்தோம் அப்பா. With the Muladhara activated in 2007, Agathiyar monitored my progress more closely. When the energies stagnated at the next chakra the Svadisthana in 2022, Agathiyar broke its banks and the energies continued their journey further, by their sheer momentum and flow, without any effort on my part. But he warns me that I have to maintain it at the crown of the head and never do anything that jeopardizes this state, otherwise, it shall fall back to the Muladhara. He says it then shall be a wasted effort on the part of the Siddhas to assist these energies to move to higher chakras. If that happens Agathiyar says that he shall have to reprimand me. This was a stern warning from him. Since the day Tavayogi stepped aside and showed me to Agathiyar, he has stood on center stage. Even Lord Muruga in coming to us some time back backed off telling me that he shall leave it to Agathiyar to look into my needs. We are grateful to Tavayogi for showing us Agathiyar and not projecting himself.


Want some personal advice? Please do not get initiated into Kundalini yoga by any Tom, Dick, and Harry or during mass activation. Find a guru and follow him for 12 years. Establish a bond with the guru during these years. Do not chase the "experience seeking" that Swami Dayananda Saraswati spoke about to his student Swami Tadatmananda. Swami Tadatmananda says of his experiment with Kundalini that "If he were still alive I might not have undertaken this project", speaking about his guru's negative comments on Kundalini Yoga. His guru had warned him about the danger of "experience seeking" that promises bliss and ecstasy. Besides that, Swami Tadatmananda says that he is completely turned off by the way Kundalini has been distorted and misrepresented. 


Similarly, a true and genuine guru shall watch and follow us for 12 years too. He never activates these energies for he would not want to jeopardize our lives for want of fame and followings for himself. A true guru would know there are no shortcuts to bringing in these energies. One has to prepare his body and make it fit first to become a vessel fit to contain these energies. He must know his subject inside out before filling him in. Generally, they refrain and have us stay away for our own good.

Ram Dass wrote that "When I asked my guru to raise my kundalini, he said, "feed people." This is the safest bet. Like him, Tavayogi never had us venture into that territory. We truly need to bring the blessing and grace of gurus and Siddhas who have trodden the path first. They shall then be at our side in the event things turn horrible. They have the cure and the means to save us.