Monday 27 February 2023

SEEK A GURU

It is fine if you want to quench your thirst to know the means to reach the many states spoken of by the saints reading about them in the books or watching videos. But ask first if the author or presenter has gone through or is going through these states for the books and videos do not come to our aid in times of need especially if the energies that arise as a result of the practices we did following what is written or shown in self-taught tutorials and videos become out of control. When I experiences certain unusual phenomena over a two-day period that was beyond my expectation and imagination, I was blessed to have Agathiyar explain what took place. When I asked him if I should carry out any further practices he replied that it was not necessary and that it (the energy) shall do its work. I am blessed to have Agathiyar keep tabs and keep track of what moves within now. Otherwise, who do I seek to get clarification and further guidance after both my gurus have gone into samadhi? Agathiyar tells me that my gurus are supposed to be on hand to help me go through this period just as I had wished they were around, but since Agathiyar has some tasks for them in his place, Agathiyar himself had come to lead me on. How do I repay the grandmaster for his compassion and kindness? 

On the other hand, if you have a guru and have tried out certain practices given by him, always keep in touch with him. Do not get initiated and try to work on your own. In the event something goes wrong please go back to him and not seek a solution with another. Only the guru shall know what went wrong. 

Do not switch gurus in your journey too unless he has passed on. Do not hop around as in a job hunt. A rolling stone does not gather moss. Stay with one for 12 years and you shall know him and he too shall know you better. The benefits of staying on shall be seen only after then. 

Spiritual unfoldment is not something achieved in a few days or instantaneously. Yes, you might go through certain spontaneous reactions but do not expect them to repeat over the next few days. Anyway, why would you want to go through the same however blissful it is. We have to learn to let go of even these blissful moments and continue our journey. Otherwise, we would stagnate and begin to enjoy these moments as my wife says we begin to get high on it.

I remember how Tavayogi ushered me out of Agathiyar's shrine at Agasthiyampalli the moment he knew I saw Agathiyar open his left eye in his granite statue thanks to him. Again he ushered me and my brother out of Agathiyar's shrine at Papanasam after seeing me ask my brother if he saw Agathiyar open both his eyes in the granite statue. This is how he treated all these miracles. He would never allow us to stay back to watch longer for now I understand how our mind would begin to doubt and question these miracles. We would then begin to investigate further. That is how it was when I told those gathered that Agathiyar was watching with his eyes open in his bronze statue at AVM in the beginning years. Everyone began to verify for themselves with some hitting the floor.  Then someone said yes he saw the right eye open. Another said he saw the left. And so it became a subject of dispute. I learned my lesson and understood Tavayogi's earlier stand. 

Man has to investigate. That is his nature. He can never take anything at face value. We have to return to being a child. A child questions us and moves on. Later as his Self or Jeevatma surfaces and the Paramatma in him goes behind the veil, he too begins to question like us adults. Welcome to the world of adults, we tell them.